General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Adventure bike!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 11:47 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts
Default HD Adventure bike!

Pretty cool. Going to be at Born Free next week.
#bestshowever

Old 06-18-2018, 01:28 AM
Flstcjay
Tourer
Received 103 Likes on 62 Posts

Sorry to say, but that is exactly what Harley needs to do if it wants to survive and attract new riders. Millennial bikes.

Old 06-18-2018, 03:35 AM
Tinker55
Cruiser
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Flstcjay
Sorry to say, but that is exactly what Harley needs to do if it wants to survive and attract new riders. Millennial bikes.

plus improvements on their quality assurance & control...

The following 2 users liked this post by Tinker55:
Campy Roadie (06-18-2018), GREENOHAWK69 (06-21-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 06:02 AM
67Shuv
Road Master

Received 385 Likes on 241 Posts

That bike will be too heavy to work how it's intended. They needed to use the Street power plant, not a big twin. Sure does look cool though

The following 5 users liked this post by 67Shuv:
Mattbastard (06-19-2018), RK4ME (06-20-2018), shorelasHD (06-18-2018), union53 (06-21-2018), Yamaharley (06-21-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 06:12 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Sorry, but that thing is Butt Fugly...not my thing (don't take my opinion personally).

Old 06-18-2018, 06:15 AM
Strugatsio
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts

"Adventure" bikes are designed for moderate off roading plus street. "Dual purpose." That thing looks massive. As in, if the rider drops it, he'd better have a buddy to pick it up.

How much does it weigh? Dimensions? Most important, how much will it cost? Last, but not least, will dealers actually push the bike?

Harley used to have an adventure bike. The Buell Ulysses. It was a good bike but HD didn't market it appropriately and the dealers (some have said) treated the line as an unwanted step child. So, it was discontinued.

Why would the bike in the OP be any different?

Old 06-18-2018, 07:27 AM
Jed Clampett
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,019 Likes on 866 Posts

Aaaa….that is a Honda African Twin Fairing and forks. Here's my take on an HD adventure bike. By the way, I think the Pan American coming hopefully this fall will be an actual HD adventure bike. Until then, and maybe even after, I can make do with this.

Old 06-18-2018, 07:43 AM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Sorry, but that thing is Butt Fugly...not my thing (don't take my opinion personally).
You do realize it for gravel and such? Not bar hoping? You are such a chic you need to look pretty in the woods?
Sorry? I was thinking of dual sport a few years ago. What turned me away from Ulyseses was small gas tank. Harley being slave to cosmetics. Cosmetics ar or chics. Ended up getting side by side. I spend a great deal of time in the woods.

This thing aint meant for city boys. But I am sure a few will never leave the pavement. Myself, I would like more American made options for bikes other than typical Harley. Maybe the others guys have to big of stranglehold.

It is not all Japs making these. Ducati and Triumph too.

Originally Posted by Strugatsio
"Adventure" bikes are designed for moderate off roading plus street. "Dual purpose." That thing looks massive. As in, if the rider drops it, he'd better have a buddy to pick it up.

How much does it weigh? Dimensions? Most important, how much will it cost? Last, but not least, will dealers actually push the bike?

Harley used to have an adventure bike. The Buell Ulysses. It was a good bike but HD didn't market it appropriately and the dealers (some have said) treated the line as an unwanted step child. So, it was discontinued.

Why would the bike in the OP be any different?
I pick my Ultra up just fine. I have picked others guys up too. But I get what you say about weight. THough we need specs to see if they stripped it down.

GSs come in small and bigger. The small doing more agressive riding and the GS being more dual sport. Myself i would jsut want to go on dirt roads, and would want a hair more comfort getting there, then a tiny bike.

BMW GS have been rode around the world. Myself, I am to much of wuss to go that far on them. I rode my Ultra to Artic Circle. Sure that would have been nice for a few hundred miles. But the thousands of miles to get there the Ultra was nice. But sure seen alot of the bigger size GS.

Originally Posted by Jed Clampett

Aaaa….that is a Honda African Twin Fairing and forks. Here's my take on an HD adventure bike. By the way, I think the Pan American coming hopefully this fall will be an actual HD adventure bike. Until then, and maybe even after, I can make do with this.
iIf Iwas going to do an around town bike this would be it. I have thought about sportster. But I would a big windshield, and big bags, and be a little road king quick. Not that would be bad.

I think a function Harley like this that is not all pretty, is very cool. Except the tinted windhsield is stupid. Can't get away from the chic vein of Harleys.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 06-18-2018 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:10 AM
Jed Clampett
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,019 Likes on 866 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerk
iIf Iwas going to do an around town bike this would be it. I have thought about sportster. But I would a big windshield, and big bags, and be a little road king quick. Not that would be bad.

I think a function Harley like this that is not all pretty, is very cool. Except the tinted windhsield is stupid. Can't get away from the chic vein of Harleys.
I've had several windshields and a quarter fairing on this. This one works. It's a small one. By the way, it is a Harley after all, and if I was concerned about "chic", I wouldn't have put this together at all. It is MY bike, assembled the way I want it, and "pretty" never entered in to my thought process. This windshield style was developed by Harley in the very early days.

Last edited by Jed Clampett; 06-18-2018 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:59 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,142 Likes on 5,592 Posts

My two questions-
1) How much does it cost? HD will likely hang a 20 grand price tag on it, thus excluding most people from wanting to buy it.
2) How much does it weigh? If I take a bike off road, even if its just on dirt or gravel roads, it needs to be light enough to whip around fairly easy. I've had my Road King, Electra Glide and Super Glide on gravel roads and it's not a fun time on a big heavy bike.

Quick Reply: HD Adventure bike!