Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Advice for a new rider at age 54 (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1242760-advice-for-a-new-rider-at-age-54-a.html)

dwebstert 07-09-2018 11:41 AM

Advice for a new rider at age 54

Any advice for a new rider at age 54. I have already taken and passed the Rider Class. Thanks for your response.

Cozz 07-09-2018 11:47 AM

Sure

Originally Posted by dwebstert (Post 17498340)
Any advice for a new rider at age 54. I have already taken and passed the Rider Class. Thanks for your response.

ride like you are invisible, because to many people, you are.
don’t follow too close
don’t Speed too much
stay within your ability, the more you ride the better you will get
if you don’t get better, find a new hobby.

Labrador 07-09-2018 11:51 AM

Welcome to the riding community.
If you are going to buy a Harley, make sure to test as many bikes as you can. They each have their own feel and ride differently. Also, make sure that you practice a lot on your own, specially low speed maneuvers. And please don't take a passenger until you are sure of your skills.

When I fist started riding I bought a used bike in case that I dropped it, scratched it, or crashed it. This is also good advice in case that you find that riding is not what you thought it was.

Be careful out there and enjoy.

Gazzalodi 07-09-2018 11:58 AM

Every single car you see is trying to kill you.

Do not hang on the outside of turns, stay in to inside of your lane.

Twisty roads are a blast, once you develop your skills. Trying hang with friends who have been riding for 30 years right off the bat will just get you shot off into the weeds.

Do not ride in the middle of the lane, that's where cars puke their fluids for you to drive through.

You will drop your bike, most likely in a parking lot in front of about 20 people. Accept that.

Spend more time riding than cleaning. It's a machine, it's going to get dirty. It's not a museum piece, yet.

TejasJeff 07-09-2018 12:09 PM

Ride and ride often to build muscle memory. Practice slow speed maneuvers over and over again. And welcome to 2 wheels...it's an addiction.

nevil 07-09-2018 12:12 PM

Practice, practice, practice. Someplace like an empty parking lot so you're not concerned with other vehicles.

MikeBel 07-09-2018 12:15 PM

Welcome to the HDF form Acworth! Where abouts are you in GA? What are you riding? Stick around here and you'll learn a lot, get your chops busted occasionally, and generally have a few laughs.

Like others have said, ride like either no one sees or they are flat out trying to kill you. This will keep you alert. Also, and I think this is true of any activity, that when you first start riding you will be very careful. Then when you get a little experience you start feeling over confident and that's when trouble finds you. Keep yourself in check. Keep learning, practicing and taking advanced rider training when you can.

Wear proper riding gear. Don't go cheap. Shorts, t-shirt and sandals will really suck if you're sliding down the road.

Always ride within your limits. The goal is to have fun and get home alive. The goal is not to try to impress others.

Check out the book, Motorcycle Adventures. Lots of great rides in the north part of GA.

Good Luck, Be Safe, Have a blast!

Ron750 07-09-2018 12:27 PM

Listen to the above posts. All good advice. Ride your own ride. Don't worry about impressing your friends. Try to start on a bike that weighs less than 500 lbs. More forgiving on slippery surfaces.

keith_stepp 07-09-2018 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by dwebstert (Post 17498340)

Do you already own a motorcycle? Was your riding class your first ever riding experience? It is hard to give advice without a little more information.

bad tappets 07-09-2018 12:35 PM

With a bit of riding you feel comfortable and want to go faster - don't! A lot of wrecks happen to inexperienced riders who think there experienced. Go easy for a bit. Enjoy and welcome!