General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What instant detailer are you using?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 03:26 PM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by Labrador
I use Meguiars' Ultimate Quick Detailer. Used it this past weekend and had no trouble removing it. Been using it for years with no trouble.

Did you use it in the sun? It can be a pain to remove if used in sunlight or if the surface is hot.

Same here

Old 07-09-2018, 03:40 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,997 Likes on 2,815 Posts

I never use that quick detail stuff. In my mind it's like adding a lubricant to a gritty surface, making a paste and rubbing it in. I prefer to wash the bike and float the dirt of with soap and water. Then dry it and polish it by hand. But that's just me.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:14 PM
Pantera99
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,105 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by Firenailer
I’ve used “Original Bike Spirits” Spray Cleaner and Polish and I’ve been really happy with the results.

I second this one. Works fantastic!! The wife also got me a quick detailer called 'The Bom' to use 1st. My 09 ultra classic hasnt even seen any water since Ive owned her.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:24 PM
bbissell
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 89 Posts

I have been using this and like it a lot.

http://wizardsproducts.com/products/

Old 07-09-2018, 05:45 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

I've used a bunch of 'em over the last 20 or so years. They're all pretty much the same. Even the "Miracle Detailers" sold at car shows and race venues sold by lovely young women who are hard to say no to.

I usually buy Mothers California Gold. Mostly because the local stores keep it on the shelf and it has been the most consistent in quality. I've had the haze issues with Meguiars too.

If the cars or bikes are really dirty, they'll get washed first. But is it's just a light coat of dust, I'll use one of those dust brushes (very lightly) and follow that up with the detailer. (again, very light touch)

The drag race car was a consistent car show winner when it was fairly fresh, and is still show worthy now nearly 20 years after it was painted. The truck is black and is nearly a full time job to keep clean, and the Deluxe has custom paint.

So, just use what you like. Not much defference

The following users liked this post:
GPHDXLC (07-13-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 06:05 PM
almostakeeper
Grand HDF Member

Received 4,246 Likes on 1,797 Posts

Originally Posted by Hey Man
I never use that quick detail stuff. In my mind it's like adding a lubricant to a gritty surface, making a paste and rubbing it in. I prefer to wash the bike and float the dirt of with soap and water. Then dry it and polish it by hand. But that's just me.
For years I did the multiple polish on the different surfaces, ended up with quite a collection of spray bottles.

A full dresser is a big bike with a lot of nooks and crannies. When i'm in the bike cleaning mood, in the drive way with a garden hose and a soft bristle hand brush i'll hit the entire bike in a few minutes, pull it in the garage, up on the jack stand, shammy everything semi dry, then micro fiber every nook and cranny. Looks brand new with no chemicals.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:13 PM
Big L
Road Warrior

Received 156 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Firenailer
I’ve used “Original Bike Spirits” Spray Cleaner and Polish and I’ve been really happy with the results.

I third this product due to ease of use and when it’s raining the truck sees a little action to. Amazon buy in bulk.
Big L

Old 07-09-2018, 06:17 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,131 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by almostakeeper
For years I did the multiple polish on the different surfaces, ended up with quite a collection of spray bottles.

A full dresser is a big bike with a lot of nooks and crannies. When i'm in the bike cleaning mood, in the drive way with a garden hose and a soft bristle hand brush i'll hit the entire bike in a few minutes, pull it in the garage, up on the jack stand, shammy everything semi dry, then micro fiber every nook and cranny. Looks brand new with no chemicals.
Soft bristle brush??? Shammy??? With just those 2 things I can guarantee that there are swirls, RIDS in the paint. Ive had my detailing gig approaching 15 years and a shammy is one of the worst things you can use on paint, along with a "Duster".
Your bike use what you want. Electric leaf blower works better, doesn't touch the paint, and are not expensive.

It was mentioned previously that most QDs are the same. I would agree with that if just dealing with over the counter stuff. The great thing about waterless and rinseless concentrates is the multiple uses it has. These top shelf products contain polymers that lift dust, dirt off the paint that then can be picked up with a proper MF.

There was a thread a month or so back that started about F11. I won't get into my thoughts on the product here however, there was a lot of good info in there about proper cleaning steps, compounds, polishes, MF towels, LSPs.

Originally Posted by Big L

I third this product due to ease of use and when it’s raining the truck sees a little action to. Amazon buy in bulk.
Big L
My only encounter with this product was a disaster!! My bike at the time was coated with 22PLE. Coatings are designed to repel everything. I drove to a friends house and hit the love bugs. He had it sitting there and i sprayed it on the fairing. A nasty mess it turned into, had house a normal 2 bucket wash to get it off. Never again

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 07-16-2018 at 07:31 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:42 PM
Big L
Road Warrior

Received 156 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by eaglefan1
My only encounter with this product was a disaster!! My bike at the time was coated with 22PLE. Coatings are designed to repel everything. I drove to a friends house and hit the love bugs. He had it sitting there and i sprayed it on the fairing. A nasty mess it turned into, had house a normal 2 bucket wash to get it off. Never again
Don’t have any special coating on my skoot just the good old Harley clear coat and wax! Maybe one day I’ll spend the coin on something like 22 PLE but until then this quick detailer is ok in my book!

Old 07-09-2018, 07:26 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,131 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by Big L

Don’t have any special coating on my skoot just the good old Harley clear coat and wax! Maybe one day I’ll spend the coin on something like 22 PLE but until then this quick detailer is ok in my book!
Living in GA, Im sure you know about pollen. Its a dam disaster here in FL. Wax is a dust magnet, pollen dust and everything else sticks to wax. Wax doesn't last. I steer my customers away from wax unless its a garage queen. a quality sealant is a much better option. $30-$40 for a bottle that will last longer, not be a magnet for dirt, dust and pollen and easier to apply and remove. 16oz bottle will last a DIY guy for years taking care of 2 cars and a bike. Lost of choices out there for protection. I have high dollar waxes that don't see much action. Your bike your choice. Just trying to provide some options

Quick Reply: What instant detailer are you using?