General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

half helmets, which ones are good?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 02:59 PM
dyna2008
Cruiser
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RET_SCPO
I wear a Daytona half helmet and I like it. It's DOT stamped. Look for a DOT compliant half helmet you like and look up the DOT guidelines they have to meet to get the stamp and there's your answer. if you're looking for real protection get a full faced. The less of your head your helmet covers the less it will protect your entire head, but you knew this already.
Same here on the Daytona half helmet. Fits nice and it's light. Like others have said limited protection and we all know that but just too hot in summer for full face. Thinking of buying a full face for late fall riding though.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:59 PM
brudford
Tourer
Received 117 Likes on 71 Posts

I see you prefaced your post with knowing the limitations of a half helemt . Just for conversation, the Brazilians did a study where they concluded that wearing no helmet was actually safer than wearing a 1/2 helmet , interesting data . Try the Akoury helmet , they make a really light weight version made of carbon fiber for about $140.00 . It also has the DOT approval . Really looks cool and will make you legal in the Nanny States .

Old 07-12-2018, 03:00 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

Bell Pit Boss is a nice helmet. It offers some practical benefits--Sun brow works great and isn't overdone like others. Interchangeable drop-down shields are great. I pop in the clear one for day riding as I use prescription sunglasses. It helps on the highway when riding without a windshield. With the ear pads on, the helmet is pretty quiet for a half helmet. A lot of the whistling noise is gone. Without the ear pads, it's pretty loud. It is also priced fairly IMO.

Old 07-12-2018, 03:13 PM
xyzzyxyzzy
Tourer
Received 160 Likes on 101 Posts

I did a quick search and found that the premium helmet manufacturers that I could think of (Arai, Shoei and Schuberth) don't even offer "half helmets". Interesting ...

Old 07-12-2018, 05:12 PM
FrankEV
Road Warrior
Received 799 Likes on 500 Posts

Just arrived today from Revzila. A HJC IS-Cruiser Half helmet purchased for my SO. Good looking, well padded helmet with vents and a drop down visor. However, it should really becalled a 5/8 helmet because, unlike most half helmets, the shape of this one actually drops down so the ears are fully enclosed by the shell. Can't offer an opinion if that makes it any safer, but should help with sound control. Picked the size based on her head measurements as listed in the sizing charts...fit was perfect. Price was right and free shipping.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:02 PM
cowboydoc
Road Warrior

Received 1,074 Likes on 450 Posts

I also have a Daytona half helmet that I am happy with for what it is. I bought it because it fit me well and is light weight, and was in stock at the local indy bike dealer. I like it for short rides in the summer, and sometime take it along as a second helmet on road trips. I also have a Bell with a drop down visor that is a size small. It seems like a nice helmet. I picked it up to have as an extra for my wife or daughters but it has been worn maybe twice. My girls prefer the full face for noise and protection.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:56 PM
Jersey Drew
Road Warrior
Received 255 Likes on 158 Posts

I want to first thank you all for not getting all crazy on the subject. I will look into the options listed. Thanks!

Old 07-13-2018, 09:47 AM
Labrador
Road Master
Received 503 Likes on 260 Posts

I like the HJC brand and have a half helmet from them.

Another problem with half helmets is that most people don't like them because the padding makes them much wider than novelty helmets. People say that they look like a Martian.

Old 07-14-2018, 02:14 PM
2goldens
HDF Community Team
Received 302 Likes on 206 Posts

Been using a Bell Pit Boss the last few years. The adjustable plastic headband (think hard hat) now pops apart sometimes. So I just got an LS2 Rebellion. Lightweight, retractable shield flips down easier than the Pit Boss and more comfortable in my opinion. It also leaves more room behind the shield if I use it for whatever glasses I also happen to be wearing. Has a ratcheting buckle like my 3/4 Nolan, which I like better than D rings. There is a vent that can be open/closed at the top, but the few times I've worn the helmet so far it's effect is negligible. It's set up to snap in LinkIn Ridepal bluetooth if you like that sort of thing.
$169 most everyplace but I did find and buy mine online from The Helmet Shop in Daytona Beach for $152 & free shipping.

Last edited by 2goldens; 07-14-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:08 PM
DM426
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 771 Likes on 369 Posts

During the short period when I was willing to ride with a half-helmet, I used a Bell Pit Boss. It’s pretty good considering the limitations of this type of design.

If you absolutly have to have an old school look, try to find a Ruby Castel. Expensive, but cool.

Last edited by DM426; 07-14-2018 at 04:09 PM.

Quick Reply: half helmets, which ones are good?