General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

half helmets, which ones are good?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 04:50 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts
Old 07-17-2018, 09:35 PM
S&S145
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Got a $10.00 dollar head....? buy a $10.00 helmet. helmet laws SUCK & half helmets SUCK MORE - are BULLSHIT and not worthy of protection and or trauma dispertion( helmet laws: none in my and adjacent states) .When we travel as a club or several people to states that have skid lid laws and we need to pass thru I wear a SIMPSON Kevlar/Carbon fibre Full Face Race Helmet .
Just like carrying a 2nd Gun; better to have it & NOT NEED IT-Than NEED IT & NOT HAVE IT . Half helmets make good **** buckets or a necessary bucket to catch fluid from a broken brake line or a receptacle for gas from a brother rider *IF* you run out and need a half gallon till the next gas station .They also make great targets using a large .45ACP 230 grain round filled with water to blow the **** outta .

Old 07-17-2018, 10:52 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

"Half" helmets?

Well, you all should know the levels of risk by now.

Old 07-18-2018, 05:52 AM
JackStaff
Road Master
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Not sure what this guys helmet was protecting.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:32 AM
BelchFire
Received 5,156 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Originally Posted by Pantera99
I like the HJC half helmet w flip down lightly tinted visor. Decent amount of foam & padding. Can hear my stereo just fine. The wife has a bell pit boss that she likes as well.
That's the HJC IS-Cruiser; I have one and like it for the visor because I wear progressive lens glasses.
Originally Posted by FrankEV
Just arrived today from Revzila. A HJC IS-Cruiser Half helmet purchased for my SO. Good looking, well padded helmet with vents and a drop down visor. However, it should really becalled a 5/8 helmet because, unlike most half helmets, the shape of this one actually drops down so the ears are fully enclosed by the shell. Can't offer an opinion if that makes it any safer, but should help with sound control. Picked the size based on her head measurements as listed in the sizing charts...fit was perfect. Price was right and free shipping.
This is true of the IS-Cruiser; it does cover the top of the ears. However (and this won't apply to most of you) I wear hearing aids and it's very uncomfortable on the top of my ears because, as you could expect, there is no allowance for the hearing aid. Even without the hearing aids, it pinches the tops of my ears more than it should. I've considered trying to make some more room right where the hearing aids sit, but it's probably safer to take them off anyway.

This is a comfortable helmet, but if you're going for style, look for something else; it really makes me look like Kazoo. VERY top heavy and mushroom-ish.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:39 AM
Jaystn62
Stellar HDF Member

Received 213 Likes on 155 Posts

Aukory AK-88. And it's my choice what I wear. If I want to take the chance and only wear a half helmet then I should be abke to do so.

The following users liked this post:
NSR (07-21-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 11:54 AM
cruzomatic
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

I also own the Bell Pit Boss. Actually I have two of them

Old 07-18-2018, 04:01 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Originally Posted by S&S145
Got a $10.00 dollar head....? buy a $10.00 helmet. helmet laws SUCK & half helmets SUCK MORE - are BULLSHIT and not worthy of protection and or trauma dispertion( helmet laws: none in my and adjacent states) .When we travel as a club or several people to states that have skid lid laws and we need to pass thru I wear a SIMPSON Kevlar/Carbon fibre Full Face Race Helmet .
Just like carrying a 2nd Gun; better to have it & NOT NEED IT-Than NEED IT & NOT HAVE IT . Half helmets make good **** buckets or a necessary bucket to catch fluid from a broken brake line or a receptacle for gas from a brother rider *IF* you run out and need a half gallon till the next gas station .They also make great targets using a large .45ACP 230 grain round filled with water to blow the **** outta .

Old 07-21-2018, 06:04 AM
joe40x
Road Warrior
Received 656 Likes on 383 Posts

so VT81 you bought a $2 helmet? Being a convicted felon in Ct. you can't even own a gun let alone get a permit to carry. Everyone see through your bullshit....give it a rest

Old 07-21-2018, 11:45 AM
ole_phart
Road Master

Received 580 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Labrador
Another problem with half helmets is that most people don't like them because the padding makes them much wider than novelty helmets. People say that they look like a Martian.
Group I rode with when in Ohio said i looked like a clothespin and that became my nickname. That was over 10 years ago and to this day I have a wooden clothespin stuck on a vest pocket.

Quick Reply: half helmets, which ones are good?