General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

half helmets, which ones are good?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 11:32 AM
Jersey Drew
Road Warrior
Received 255 Likes on 158 Posts
Default half helmets, which ones are good?

KNOWING THE LIMITATIONS OF USING A HALF HELMET!!!!! I can not seem to find info on which ones are quality/ well tested for impacts on the area they cover. I assume that the bell and simpson ones are well tested and of high quality but what about all the rest? I am looking for a decent quality helmet that i like the styling of. right now i ride with a Zox old school and while i like it and it has served me well for a few years it is time to swap it out for a new one.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:49 AM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

If you are looking for crash testing, most don't test half-helmets because, as you already know, their protection value is minimal to start with. Tests are conducted on 3/4 and full face and most orgs will list half-helmet as 'novelty', regardless of who makes them.. Almost all impacts occur to the chin, face, and/or side of the lower head so I figure they dont think it worthwhile and it would be hard to do an impact test given the minimal coverage to only the top of the crown.

With that being said, I have a Bell Pit Boss. Fits nice and is not top heavy. When its real hot out I use it in lieu of the FF. Mainly because I ride without a windshield a lot and it cuts the noise on the highway and just makes me feel safer, even though I know it would be of very little value in the event of a crash.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:53 AM
TejasJeff
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Akoury.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:57 AM
RET_SCPO
Extreme HDF Member

Received 19,650 Likes on 6,279 Posts

I wear a Daytona half helmet and I like it. It's DOT stamped. Look for a DOT compliant half helmet you like and look up the DOT guidelines they have to meet to get the stamp and there's your answer. if you're looking for real protection get a full faced. The less of your head your helmet covers the less it will protect your entire head, but you knew this already.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:23 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,651 Likes on 2,672 Posts

I wear a Daytona Carbon fiber and I feel like it's a good compromise between being low profile and still being a substantial helmet for what it is.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:05 PM
MiniWolf

Originally Posted by RET_SCPO
I wear a Daytona half helmet and I like it. It's DOT stamped. Look for a DOT compliant half helmet you like and look up the DOT guidelines they have to meet to get the stamp and there's your answer. if you're looking for real protection get a full faced. The less of your head your helmet covers the less it will protect your entire head, but you knew this already.
The only thing required to get a DOT approval the fees.

DOT helmet approval is done on the 'Honor System'. The helmet's manufacturer determines whether his helmets satisfy DOT and then claims the qualification. There is no testing requirement. The manufacturer just has to state the helmet meets material and construction guidelines.

DOT can randomly audit a manufacturer and test the helmet for compliance, but that is about it as far as it goes.

Last edited by MiniWolf; 07-12-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:13 PM
RET_SCPO
Extreme HDF Member

Received 19,650 Likes on 6,279 Posts

Originally Posted by MiniWolf
The only thing required to get a DOT approval the fees.

DOT helmet approval is done on the 'Honor System'. The helmet's manufacturer determines whether his helmets satisfy DOT and then claims the qualification. There is no testing requirement. The manufacturer just has to state the helmet meets material and construction guidelines.

True as per this but hey it's a half helmet and the DOT standard is the best you're going to get on a half helmet....

DOT certification is done on the honor system. The helmet's manufacturer determines whether his helmets satisfy DOT and then claims the qualification for himself. There is not even a reporting requirement. The government does contract for some spot check testing at commercial and private labs but not very much. In recent years much of their effort has been spent against so-called beanie helmets that are obviously substandard and are worn only by helmet law protesters.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:28 PM
MiniWolf

Originally Posted by RET_SCPO
True as per this but hey it's a half helmet and the DOT standard is the best you're going to get on a half helmet....

DOT certification is done on the honor system. The helmet's manufacturer determines whether his helmets satisfy DOT and then claims the qualification for himself. There is not even a reporting requirement. The government does contract for some spot check testing at commercial and private labs but not very much. In recent years much of their effort has been spent against so-called beanie helmets that are obviously substandard and are worn only by helmet law protesters.

Yeah. Snell doesn't even rate or test half helmets. As I was saying, everyone but DOT considers half helmets to be novelty-only fashion items and that is because the AMA lobbied hard to have half helmets on the DOT approval list where the others said no way.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:35 PM
Pantera99
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 624 Posts

I like the HJC half helmet w flip down lightly tinted visor. Decent amount of foam & padding. Can hear my stereo just fine. The wife has a bell pit boss that she likes as well.

Old 07-12-2018, 02:39 PM
duoglider
Road Warrior
Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts

hard to beat the Bell Pit Boss for a straight up half helmet.
I have a recently acquired Scorpion Covert that I really like - it's basically a DOT half helmet with some add ons to dress it up, drop down visor (smoke & clear) and a face guard to protect from rocks and road flak.

Quick Reply: half helmets, which ones are good?