General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone leaving their bike stock?

Old 07-13-2018, 08:32 PM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

Just slip-ons for me this time. I dont post my miles to be cool. Some do tons of miles out of necessity.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:33 PM
Bartender
Club Member
Received 1,057 Likes on 390 Posts

I've always wanted my bikes to hold their value over the years so I've always tried to never take the bike beyond the point of no return. Always hang on to all the stock parts so that it can be brought back to original. Doing that really doesn't mean much for the first 20 years but after that, the stock bikes become harder to find.
I know your more concerned with running the motor stock. There's nothing wrong with that.
I love running across bikes that have never been tampered with. I would rather buy a older bike like that then buy a new one.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:39 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,779 Likes on 17,441 Posts

My 17 got an aircleaner & slip-ons and that is all I plan on doing to it besides ride it. Head & spot lights may get an upgrade later on.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:45 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

Keep in mind that most people don't report when their bike is running well. You don't see threads like , "I had my bike for ten years and nothing happened and the cams and engine ran fine." What you see are the complaints and issues people have with mechanical things that can and do malfunction or break. Issues are a statistical certainty with any mechanical device. So, what you see are stories about this or that happening to someone's engine, cams, or compensators etc....and people will think since they have seen the report more than a few times on the net, it must be a trend. Again, you will only see negatives, not positives. In addition, people saying that you need to do this or that right away or your engine or cams are toast are either the vendors selling the aftermarket upgrades or the people who bought the aftermarket upgrades and repeat what they were told when they bought the stuff. The aftermarket world is pretty competitive and you will hear why you must do this or that..or else...If you want to upgrade with slipons and stuff for sound, that is normal. But for no reason other than someone saying you have to do this or that or else,,,then to go all hog wild shelling out thousands of dollars because you're afraid your brand new bike will break--just silly IMO. But that's just my two cents..

The following users liked this post:
vizcarmb (07-13-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 08:46 PM
Papa G
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 312 Likes on 302 Posts

Leaving mine as it came to me! Can’t really see anything I need to improve.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:34 PM
dyna2008
Cruiser
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by MiniWolf
Keep in mind that most people don't report when their bike is running well. You don't see threads like , "I had my bike for ten years and nothing happened and the cams and engine ran fine." What you see are the complaints and issues people have with mechanical things that can and do malfunction or break. Issues are a statistical certainty with any mechanical device. So, what you see are stories about this or that happening to someone's engine, cams, or compensators etc....and people will think since they have seen the report more than a few times on the net, it must be a trend. Again, you will only see negatives, not positives. In addition, people saying that you need to do this or that right away or your engine or cams are toast are either the vendors selling the aftermarket upgrades or the people who bought the aftermarket upgrades and repeat what they were told when they bought the stuff. The aftermarket world is pretty competitive and you will hear why you must do this or that..or else...If you want to upgrade with slipons and stuff for sound, that is normal. But for no reason other than someone saying you have to do this or that or else,,,then to go all hog wild shelling out thousands of dollars because you're afraid your brand new bike will break--just silly IMO. But that's just my two cents..
So glad for your post. I'm not one that's mechanically inclined or even understand how or why everything on my bike works. I do small maintenance things myself and put on a new piece of chrome here and there but ripping into the engine or transmission I'm simply not going to even attempt. I had an 08 Superglide I rode many trouble free miles now I'm on a 16 Heritage which I have only done the typical upgrades to,pipes,stage one,tuner. Lots of chrome probably way more than I should but that's what makes me happy. But back to topic! When you read here and other places too all the trouble your heading for if you don't replace this or that part its almost enough to keep you up at night. I'm going with the attitude it's a machine. Things break! I'll cross that bridge when and if it happens. And really back to topic I may be wrong but I consider an upgrade anything added other than stock not just engine upgrades. So heck ya mine is far from stock and I like it that way.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:48 PM
Meoff
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

My 1986 liberty electra glide is basically bone stock other than a mikuini carb upgrade! Take trips all the time with no problems! Of course motor has been gone thru as speedo quit @150000 mi! Thinking of some slip ons to give it a little roar!

The following 2 users liked this post by Meoff:
hd4evr2008 (07-14-2018), TwiZted Biker (07-13-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 09:57 PM
Glyder54
Banned
Received 541 Likes on 377 Posts

Bought my 17 Limited new the day it hit the dealers floor. Only thing has been changed is fluids. And actualy its still all stock cause its the first time ever using all HD fluids instead of Amsoil,M1 or Redline etc. The M8 motor is pretty stout for my riding style. Sometimes I miss the rumble of an aftermarket exhaust but my 12 Heritage with V&H Straightshots cures that itch.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:34 PM
Harlee5438
Cruiser
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

2013 Ultra,all stock except highway pegs,luggage rack and a different shield.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:08 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,456 Likes on 1,587 Posts

If all goes as planned my next H-D purchase will be a Tri-Glide.
Only accessories that I plan to "donate" to the next owner will me minimal (tour pack luggage rack and possibly handlebars).
Everything else will be removable and capable of being transferred to a new trike later on.

I have other bikes to play with and spend money on when the urge hits me.

Things do change and my mind is one of them

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone leaving their bike stock?