General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Service Plans

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Jaystn62
Stellar HDF Member

Received 213 Likes on 155 Posts
Default Extended Service Plans

Trading in my 2015 1200c this weekend on a 2017 Fatboy. Looking to get a ESP but the prices Harley dealership seems high in relation to what I have actually used on past bikes. Can someone school me on these and are there better values out there on these?

Old 07-17-2018, 07:32 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

You can negotiate the price on the ESP just like you can the bike or anything else. The finance guy will push the ESP hard and is going to quote a very high price. Just say you don't want it. They will then move onto something else then I guarantee they will come back to the topic and try to haggle with you--either by offering to set up partial plans that cover only certain components, or adjusting the price. That has always been my experience with dealers selling any vehicle. Just have the figures with you that you have experience with and use that. Don't budge. They WILL come down. Like the bike itself, they make a profit off of sales of the ESP and the ESP isn't like a bike where they can sell it to the next customer if you balk-- so any sale is better than none at all.

One more thing -- I am sure you have heard about the new warranty policy. If you plan on modding out your bike to take it out of EPA compliance, you will likely void the warranty per the new contract. I am not sure how this applies to the ESP but be sure to check the plan. Again, this is only if you plan on modding it within the five years of the ESP. Just be sure you know the details of the ESP plan and contract before agreeing to anything.

Last edited by MiniWolf; 07-17-2018 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:38 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Up to half the price of these plans is commissions, so there is a lot of negotiation room.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:41 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewmany
Up to half the price of these plans is commissions, so there is a lot of negotiation room.
Yes. The dealer gets a cut and the finance guy who sells it get another cut. You have a LOT of room to haggle. They are going to high-ball you out of the gate . Big time. Most people grossly overpay of the ESP through a dealer.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:22 PM
Jaystn62
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by MiniWolf
You can negotiate the price on the ESP just like you can the bike or anything else. The finance guy will push the ESP hard and is going to quote a very high price. Just say you don't want it. They will then move onto something else then I guarantee they will come back to the topic and try to haggle with you--either by offering to set up partial plans that cover only certain components, or adjusting the price. That has always been my experience with dealers selling any vehicle. Just have the figures with you that you have experience with and use that. Don't budge. They WILL come down. Like the bike itself, they make a profit off of sales of the ESP and the ESP isn't like a bike where they can sell it to the next customer if you balk-- so any sale is better than none at all.

One more thing -- I am sure you have heard about the new warranty policy. If you plan on modding out your bike to take it out of EPA compliance, you will likely void the warranty per the new contract. I am not sure how this applies to the ESP but be sure to check the plan. Again, this is only if you plan on modding it within the five years of the ESP. Just be sure you know the details of the ESP plan and contract before agreeing to anything.
The bike already has slip on mufflers so they are selling a bike that has already been modified. It's a concern I'll bring up when I go to see bike Sunday. I've called three different dealerships and they all quoted the same price on the same coverage. All said they are not marking them up. Just wondering if there's anything else out there besides Harley.

Old 07-17-2018, 08:32 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,187 Likes on 2,454 Posts

check with jim palmer at discountesp.com he used to sell the harley/cna plan at substantial discount all across the country. now that they have limited the area to which a dealer can sell the plan, he sells other plans. he's been doing this for years, he won't steer you wrong.

The following users liked this post:
Jaystn62 (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 08:49 PM
Jaystn62
Stellar HDF Member

Thanks skratch

Old 07-17-2018, 08:59 PM
P51Driver
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 127 Posts

Jaystn62 check out this thread. I know you were looking for a Softail service manual, so here it is.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...rs-manual.html

Last edited by P51Driver; 07-17-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:04 PM
Jaystn62
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by P51Driver
Jaystn62 check out this thread. I know you were looking for a Softail service manual, so here it is.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...rs-manual.html
I sent you a PM. If you still have it when I have funds we may talk.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:47 PM
monkeyboy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 406 Posts

Is this for an extended SERVICE plan or extended WARRANTY plan? I guess it really doesn't matter. With either one, read the fine print and look at what they do and don't cover.

Quick Reply: Extended Service Plans