General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What should i buy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 10:51 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by 6 gun
You ask "What Should I Buy?" My answer is to buy one of those magic 8 ***** and keep shaking till it gives you the answer you want.
Well, I wouldn't need a magic 8 ball if people actually answered my question, I could then take all those answers and come up with a plan of attack on what to buy. I was hoping owners of those models would answer if and what issues they've had. Seeing that those years are essentially the same, finding one with low miles (not hard to do) would probably be my best bet.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:24 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,249 Likes on 11,136 Posts

Other than cost, I don’t know why you’d stay away from the ‘17s. The M8 motor is incredible, and the vast majority of owners are trouble free.

Old 07-20-2018, 01:19 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
Other than cost, I don’t know why you’d stay away from the ‘17s. The M8 motor is incredible, and the vast majority of owners are trouble free.
I don't want to take the chance. Harley mechanics that know me have told me to stay away from the 17's because they know how I ride, fast, hard and long, If you ride normally there shouldn't be too many problems.. It's also a first year model and everyone knows you should stay away from them. So I'm playing it safe and sticking with the Rushmore models. But the main reason, as you mention, is the cost.

Old 07-20-2018, 07:04 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
Well, I wouldn't need a magic 8 ball if people actually answered my question, I could then take all those answers and come up with a plan of attack on what to buy. I was hoping owners of those models would answer if and what issues they've had. Seeing that those years are essentially the same, finding one with low miles (not hard to do) would probably be my best bet.
Well If you want to talk to people who know, why did you post your question in the general chat instead of the Tri Glide & Freewheeler Models
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-g...er-models-151/

Old 07-21-2018, 02:21 AM
LoneWoolf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
Harley mechanics that know me have told me to stay away from the 17's because they know how I ride, fast, hard and long,.....
That statement begs the question; Are you a member of the Black Widow's M/C?

The following users liked this post:
Advocatus Diaboli (07-21-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 09:00 AM
Advocatus Diaboli
Elite HDF Member

Received 2,771 Likes on 1,113 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneWoolf
That statement begs the question; Are you a member of the Black Widow's M/C?
I was thinking Wild Hogs.

Old 07-21-2018, 09:04 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,561 Likes on 5,153 Posts

No idea why he would tell you to avoid a 2017 M8.. If cash is not the issue.
Wet head anyway you look at it nothing wrong with the 2016 103's

Old 07-21-2018, 01:11 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 6 gun
Well If you want to talk to people who know, why did you post your question in the general chat instead of the Tri Glide & Freewheeler Models
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-g...er-models-151/
Well, for one thing, the engine and other items are not limited to just the TriGlide.
Second, there are a lot more people in the general chat - so more coverage.

So far it seems like there are no owners of 14 to 16 TriGlides on this forum....at least not in the General as 6 gun has suggested. I thought I would get more coverage in General. I will repost in the TriGlide section.

Old 07-21-2018, 01:36 PM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

I can't understand how someone with a riding history such as yourself especially one known for riding long, hard and fast would need suggestions from others regarding what to buy.

The "What bike should I buy" or "Which bike is the best for me" threads are usually newbies who have no clue.

Here is the generic answer given on most of these threads. Ride em all and choose which one you like.

I've not heard any Harley mechanic say or advise to stay away from an M8. They are incredible machines, a few have had some issues but they are the minority as with any production product.

Old 07-21-2018, 02:08 PM
Chicago Ken
Road Warrior
Received 345 Likes on 159 Posts

The guys I known who collect & wrench their own bikes recommend Honda's & BMW's as the most reliable for long distance touring.

Quick Reply: What should i buy?