General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

They really are trying to kill us

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 07:55 AM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,709 Likes on 5,857 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankEV
I'm also a grumpy old man, who has been driving for many years, that is fustrated with the stupid drivers of today for so many reasons. This one being one of my biggest peeve.
This image pretty well sums up how I feel riding around people anymore.

The following 3 users liked this post by Redoilokie:
2WheelNut (07-20-2018), DanHappy (07-19-2018), Tired (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 08:22 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,141 Likes on 5,592 Posts

Originally Posted by TejasJeff
Wait until you're on a twisty back road and you see a cow standing in your lane. Cow has an excuse though! The punk you encountered will never learn until it's too late.
Actually about 20 some years ago I came over a hill to find a HUGE horse standing broadside in the road. I had just enough time to stop so it wasn't as nerve racking as my texting story. By the way, the guy wasn't a teenaged kid, he was 30-40 years old.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:27 AM
NDRK
Cruiser
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Slow down and pay attention. They will cause more damage to you then you to them.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:32 AM
TejasJeff
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubba Zanetti
Actually about 20 some years ago I came over a hill to find a HUGE horse standing broadside in the road. I had just enough time to stop so it wasn't as nerve racking as my texting story. By the way, the guy wasn't a teenaged kid, he was 30-40 years old.
Believe me when I say this...punks come in all shapes, sizes, gender and age.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:39 AM
army_eod
Road Warrior
Received 589 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubba Zanetti
Texting, Twitter, Facebook or any myriad of other distractions. All I know was he had his head down staring at his phone in his hand and was typing away. The look on his face when I racked the pipes was priceless though. He might have had to change his shorts after that. LOL
you might hit your horn or use your pipes. I carry a Glock.
I take things like that (texting) as a PERSONAL THREAT TO MY LIFE. I see it the same as if they were pointing a firearm at me. It IS THE SAME. I treat people who do that stupid stuff as I treat somebody in a combat zone who points a weapon at me. It pisses me off. I wish the cops would actually ENFORCE the laws and nail those people to the wall. Why are they not doing it?

Old 07-19-2018, 08:40 AM
J3TVETTE
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

Come to South Florida... LOL

Old 07-19-2018, 08:42 AM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,709 Likes on 5,857 Posts

Originally Posted by army_eod
you might hit your horn or use your pipes. I carry a Glock.
I take things like that (texting) as a PERSONAL THREAT TO MY LIFE. I see it the same as if they were pointing a firearm at me. It IS THE SAME. I treat people who do that stupid stuff as I treat somebody in a combat zone who points a weapon at me. It pisses me off. I wish the cops would actually ENFORCE the laws and nail those people to the wall. Why are they not doing it?
Trying to determine if you're a troll or are really that stupid. I know most of the trolls here, and you've been around longer than most of them, so the latter it is.

The following 4 users liked this post by Redoilokie:
army_eod (07-19-2018), hdbob2006 (07-19-2018), QNman (07-19-2018), TejasJeff (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 08:42 AM
Labrador
Road Master
Received 503 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankEV
I'm an ex NYer who moved to NC for 20 years and then now down to Central Florida.

In NY, where drivers are always in a hurry and who drive like idiots most of the time, do, at least, make rolling right hand turns into driveways or on to sideroads that do not require a stop. When you see their signal, you slow down but can anticipate them continuing to turn and get out of the way allowing you to proceed with out stopping.

In NC, I found most drivers (locals or the halfbacks from Florida) nearly always come to a stop before making a right hand turn. I contributed that to the severe deep drainage ditches along the mostly narrow mountian roads that resulted in a depression in the driveway or side road that they wanted to go through slow and avoid any possibility of driving a wheel into the ditch. It fustrated me, but I dealt with it.

Now down here in FLAT florida, with most often nice wide roads and no drainage ditches, can anyone explain WHY, WHY, do drivers (of all ages) come to almost, if not, to a complete stop before making a Right Hand turn into a parking lot driveway or on to a side road. Too often with busy traffic, in both my car and on the bike, I have had to come down to a nearly full stop and wait for then to make the turn. I've learned to anticipate this, but curse at them under my breath every time because there is no good reason for them to hold up traffic.

I know I took Drivers Ed a long long time ago, but I was never tought to stop before making a turn unless there was a stop sign. Who teaches these drivers today that they need to stop before making a rhigh hand turn.

I'm also a grumpy old man, who has been driving for many years, that is fustrated with the stupid drivers of today for so many reasons. This one being one of my biggest peeve.
I blame it on the poor driving schools and driver's education that is given before a driver's license is handed out. They (barely) teach you the basics, just enough to keep the car within the lines. I am sure that we, the motorcyclist, takes much more training in a basic course than does a cager.

Tirerack.com offers a driving course in their facility in Indiana for younger drivers that is excellent. It teaches you obstacle avoidance and how to steer in emergencies (wet and dry conditions) as well as other things that you need in the real world in order to drive efficiently. I would love to see something like this added to all driving schools.

The following users liked this post:
FrankEV (07-20-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 08:45 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 329 Likes on 287 Posts

OP's headline/topic is the truth I believe....
#1 rule of street driving is that all the other drivers are trying to kill you.

I'm glad there was no crashes or injuries for the OP in this case.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:50 AM
CobraRacer
Cruiser
Received 104 Likes on 40 Posts

As I have said on other threads, "the drivers now are dumber and more aggressive than ever". I think this falls under "the dumber" category.

The driver that whipped a left in front of me last year (totaling the bike and the car) when asked "did you not see the motorcycle?" than told my family and police that he saw me and thought he could make it. I have been told that it is impossible that I am alive. The first thing I thought of was if there had been a female passenger there is no way she would have made it.

These people are killing motorcycle riders every day.

As far as I am concerned the officers need to give them a hand getting out of their wrecked cars/trucks and than accidentally knee them in the nuts.

Last edited by CobraRacer; 07-19-2018 at 08:53 AM.

Quick Reply: They really are trying to kill us