General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on buying damaged bike...

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 11:22 AM
wileel
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Thoughts on buying damaged bike...

First would like to say hey, and look fwd to learning all I can from the forums here. Im new to the forum as well motorcycles so please go easy on me, That being said I am very experienced with vehicles and other mechanical aspects,just never messed with bikes.

Now to the topic at hand...I'm considering buying a 15 sportster that has been laid down. It went down pretty good on the rt side; broke the fork stop sending the bars into the tank making a very good dent in the top corner, the front fender MAY have shifted slightly to the lt (hard to tell because its still perfectly straight) pipes got a little rash as well as the throttle grip and a few more small spots that are no big deal (to me). Bike has very low limes and I can get it for a decent price, even after I consider fixing the triple tree and replacing the tank I think I would be less than typical third party used sale.

Million dollar question...would anyone be concerned buying damaged and if so what would they be?
Thanks

Old 07-21-2018, 11:30 AM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,791 Likes on 1,359 Posts

I think you would have to make sure the neck and frame were straight.........if that took a hit like that it may be screwed!

Old 07-21-2018, 11:34 AM
Labrador
Road Master
Received 503 Likes on 260 Posts

A bent frame will make the bike dangerous and unpredictable to ride. Bike parts are expensive, specially OEM parts. You also have to consider that the title may be a salvage title which may complicate insuring the bike or if you ever want to sell it.

Old 07-21-2018, 11:39 AM
J3TVETTE
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

How much is a "decent price"

Old 07-21-2018, 11:56 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

I wouldn't touch it for any price until you verify that the frame is not damaged. Is the seller the owner or an insurance company?
Again, how much would you have to pay for this, and exactly which model Sportster is it?

Old 07-21-2018, 12:03 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

Are the front forks bent at all.?
Front wheel bent at all.??
If you see no trama in that area it may be ok-
Pull the tank and look carefully for cracked paint around the neck.
All this can be fixed , but you need the smarts, a waffle table just for starters..
It is better not to get involved in a project like that as it will quickly go upside dwn.
Most do anyway as it looks way cheaper then it turns out.

Old 07-21-2018, 12:04 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

IMHO...if you can’t have the frame integrity verified, I’d stay clear. To save money, look for a low mileage used, of a few years old.

Old 07-21-2018, 01:00 PM
katanaplanet
Banned
Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

Frames don't bend that easily. If you get it under $1500, they are easy fix.

Old 07-21-2018, 01:19 PM
wileel
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its an 2015 883 Iron...base model with security, also has aftermarket springs and seat

Forks are fine
Wheel is fine
Fender is fine
Foot controls are fine
There is no evidence that I can find of any over stress areas in the neck or frame
Seller is a local small bike shop
Title is clean.

Im sure I can get it for 5200ish...

The actual repairing of what I see is not a huge concern, I have the skills and (besides the tank) factory parts aren't too bad IMO, not to mention the amount of used and aftermarket parts. What does surprise me is such concern here about the frame being out of whack, is this just reaction or based on actual experience? Again, I'm no expert on the integrity of bike frames but based on other similar experiences I would be blow away if a hard lay down would damage it...are they that fragile? Seriously...Im not being a smart ***, just learning

Based on the damage I'm imagining it fell into a right hand slow turn and planted the end of the throttle into the ground causing the torque to drive the bars through the stop and into the tank

Old 07-21-2018, 01:21 PM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts

As many good used bikes as there are on the market today, I personally would look for a sweet deal with no accident history. Unless you just want something to piddle with as a project. I get that.

In my head, a wrecked bike, truck or auto is never the same.

The following users liked this post:
wileel (07-21-2018)

Quick Reply: Thoughts on buying damaged bike...