Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Tucson HD -"Deal First" then can test ride (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1244745-tucson-hd-deal-first-then-can-test-ride.html)

Dsm Limited 07-25-2018 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by OzHD (Post 17537479)
So.. I'm curious now - how to they handle someone who comes in a car, looking to buy a bike? No "general use" helmets or jackets?

The dealer I bought my last one from will loan you a helmet if you don't bring one. If you're wearing shorts, they'll loan you rain pants.

Their criteria for a test ride is MC license, long pants, no open toed shoes and a helmet. You get to test ride on your own. If you have a MC learners permit, the staff rides along on a different bike.
Iowa has a 2 stage licensing process. Take the written test and pass, get a permit. Take the rider test on a closed course and pass, get a license. If you have the permit, you have to ride along side of a licensed rider, weird I know.

ThePaintPirate 07-25-2018 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Dsm Limited (Post 17538908)
The dealer I bought my last one from will loan you a helmet if you don't bring one. If you're wearing shorts, they'll loan you rain pants.

Their criteria for a test ride is MC license, long pants, no open toed shoes and a helmet. You get to test ride on your own. If you have a MC learners permit, the staff rides along on a different bike.
Iowa has a 2 stage licensing process. Take the written test and pass, get a permit. Take the rider test on a closed course and pass, get a license. If you have the permit, you have to ride along side of a licensed rider, weird I know.

That's how I bought mine at Big Barn, good people, straight to business.

And with that permit, you have to ride with someone that has a license before you get your full endorsement.

IdahoHacker 07-25-2018 09:39 AM

My dealership is one that will let you ride any bike you want, any time you want, But, you NEVER get to ride alone. A salesperson always goes with you. Always. Doesn't matter who you are.

banddirector 07-25-2018 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker (Post 17539515)
My dealership is one that will let you ride any bike you want, any time you want, But, you NEVER get to ride alone. A salesperson always goes with you. Always. Doesn't matter who you are.

If you're referring to Lone Wolf Harley, that's how it was for me. When I got my '16, the ride was led by the salesperson, which was fine with me because he did a route that had a little bit of everything - flat, hills, slow, freeway, etc.

Allsport let me ride alone. They suggested a simple route, and it only took about 15 minutes.

IdahoHacker 07-25-2018 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by banddirector (Post 17539567)
If you're referring to Lone Wolf Harley, that's how it was for me. When I got my '16, the ride was led by the salesperson, which was fine with me because he did a route that had a little bit of everything - flat, hills, slow, freeway, etc.

Allsport let me ride alone. They suggested a simple route, and it only took about 15 minutes.

Hells Canyon, but it's an SRL of Lone Wolf, so, yeah, Lone Wolf. Did Allsport have a DCT? I need to give them a call.

banddirector 07-25-2018 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker (Post 17539569)
Hells Canyon, but it's an SRL of Lone Wolf, so, yeah, Lone Wolf. Did Allsport have a DCT? I need to give them a call.

Sadly, no DCT. They said DCT models don't sell well. I told them the only reason I was interested at all was due to the DCT feature ...

sailmotion 07-25-2018 10:57 AM

Can anyone think of a more meaningless, time-wasting procedure than sitting down with a salesman/woman to discuss the details of a purchase that may never come to fruition because a delayed test ride demonstrated that the prospective purchaser did not like the product?

RHPAW 07-25-2018 11:20 AM

I brought a friend into the dealer by me on a Friday, and they not only gave her an Ultra to test ride, they told her she didn't have to bring it back until Tuesday.
(I've never actually bought a bike from them either, although my wife did.)

OzHD 07-25-2018 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by banddirector (Post 17539567)

The accompanied ride makes sense - they have less to worry about and a good salesperson can take you on a "bit of everything" and lead you back home to the shop if it's unfamiliar territory.

I have no problems with a "accompany only" test ride... but a "no test ride" = "walk out the door" from me.

IdahoHacker 07-25-2018 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by banddirector (Post 17539670)
Sadly, no DCT. They said DCT models don't sell well...

That makes no sense. I'm a member of several FB pages and web sites dedicated to the new Wing, and by my unscientific, informal assessment, I would guess that the DCT is outselling the 6 speed by 10 to 1. At least.