Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Tucson HD -"Deal First" then can test ride (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1244745-tucson-hd-deal-first-then-can-test-ride.html)

skratch 07-21-2018 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Stingray702 (Post 17530248)
They do the same stuff at the dealership I work at. It weeds out the tire kickers.

sure, i can understand that. and i can also see how it would weed out all those who 'might' later become tire buyers instead of kickers.

Stingray702 07-21-2018 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by skratch (Post 17530341)
sure, i can understand that. and i can also see how it would weed out all those who 'might' later become tire buyers instead of kickers.

Definitely..But think of it like this...you post your bike on Craigslist..some dude wants a test ride..what do you tell him?

Apendejo 07-21-2018 09:26 PM

I am gob smacked. I have never gotten a "test ride" on a bike I wanted to buy. Cash up front maybe but no free test rides. This is a dealer I have bought bikes from over 30 years.

tcatnat 07-21-2018 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Stingray702 (Post 17530351)
Definitely..But think of it like this...you post your bike on Craigslist..some dude wants a test ride..what do you tell him?

He's a repeat customer.

upflying 07-21-2018 09:48 PM

Tucson is an hour from the border, they may have lost some into Mexico in the past.
All dealers should have "demo's" intended for test rides, riders can be vetted with a motorcycle DL and current motorcycle insurance. Much can be done by profiling the buyer..in other words no tweakers, no low lyfes. A credit check can also weed out tire kickers and questioning about riding can weed out frauds..

Uncle Larry 07-21-2018 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Stingray702 (Post 17530351)

Hopefully there's a bit of difference between Craig's List and you local ... although sometimes I'd wonder

Gadgetech 07-21-2018 10:23 PM

Every time I walk into the nearest HD dealer they ask if I want to test ride something multiple times even after me continually saying "I'm just looking." Seems to me HD (at least the local dealer) wants tire kickers test riding bikes, they are even making offers like last month where it was "pay MSRP and get a Stage IV upgrade." They do demo days with their own inventory once a month, which must sell bikes or they wouldn't do it. This notion of dealing before test riding is bogus.

Gazzalodi 07-22-2018 12:08 AM

They must have some serious turn over at that dealership. Two years and no one left who knows you? Not a good sign.

I go to Las Vegas once every two or three years and stop in at Henderson Harley when I do. Half the staff are still the people who were there when I bought my bike from them in 2011.

nobodyknowsme 07-22-2018 12:24 AM

Where I bought my last bike from, every day they are open you can test ride a bike, pretty much as long as you want, any bike. All you do is give a copy of your license and be on your way. I rode many bikes there although I only bought one from them. I have had dealers give me grief about a test ride but just walked away. Too many dealerships out there. Guess it may have something to do with your location and how many dealers are in the given area?

Mozvader 07-22-2018 12:26 AM

HD requires dealerships to allow test rides. Other manufacturers leave it up to the dealer. I bought my 14 FLHXS right when they came out. I saw it at Peterson's HD North since it was near my job. (I had just blown the engine on my 3rd HD) The sales lady tried to get out of giving me a test ride so I made an appointment to test ride the following week. On the day of my appointment she tried to convince me not to test ride it again and I cancelled my appointment, called Peterson's HD south (I had bought 2 of my bikes there and went along with a few friends that also bought). They had me come in and sent me off on a 26 mile test ride on my own.
I decided to buy it immediately but the 14 FLHXS in Black had a waiting list. Luckily i knew the North store had on in a crate thanks to that lady sales lady. I told the south store that HD north had it, and they dealer traded it out from under her.

Point is she lost an easy sale for being lazy.
I walked in looking to spend 15k and ended up spending a whole lot more.

If they won't let you test ride upfront without a credit check they don't deserve you business.

Originally Posted by upflying (Post 17530409)
Tucson is an hour from the border, they may have lost some into Mexico in the past.
All dealers should have "demo's" intended for test rides, riders can be vetted with a motorcycle DL and current motorcycle insurance. Much can be done by profiling the buyer..in other words no tweakers, no low lyfes. A credit check can also weed out tire kickers and questioning about riding can weed out frauds..

Test Rides = more sales and bigger profits.