General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sellers Beware

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 01:16 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,343 Likes on 1,549 Posts
Default Sellers Beware

Over the years I've bought and sold a lot of bikes, cars, and trucks. Back in the day classified adds, then Auto Trader, now there's a local internet sight that allows a free listing - with a few offers to upgrade for $$.
The past 2 years as soon as I list something I'll get a text from PA or NY, asking condition, bottom price. Yes they are SCAMS. I got burned buying on Ebay, for a Night Train, but eventually got my money back.
I don't sell on Ebay and to date haven't shipped anything. I have to have CASH in hand or a Certified check that has cleared before property and titles swap hands.
Have any of you seen the same, been scammed, or busted a scammer?

Old 07-26-2018, 01:31 PM
Windseeker
Elite HDF Member

Received 5,228 Likes on 1,858 Posts

I haven't been involved in any scams, but back when I was searching for my Fatboy last year on craigslist, I would always sort the results by price from highest to lowest, or refine the search to show only within my price range. Anyway, regardless of what area I searched, there were these same bikes with the same pictures that kept showing up for about $2000.00. They were usually 2011-2014 models and they were always photographed in front of the same brick building.

Old 07-26-2018, 01:35 PM
Solospec
Cruiser
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

I recently started with Craigslist to sell a motorcycle but started receiving scams. I pulled the add and placed it on Cycletrader. No scammers contacted me and I sold the bike pretty quickly with no issues. I always meet with the buyer. I have never tried to sell a vehicle over the internet.

Phil

Old 07-26-2018, 01:52 PM
fireman64
Road Warrior
Received 1,583 Likes on 329 Posts

How did you get scammed on ebay ?
Curious cause I've looked at bikes on ebay,but cautious.

Old 07-26-2018, 02:11 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,834 Likes on 17,453 Posts

Originally Posted by TSheff
Over the years I've bought and sold a lot of bikes, cars, and trucks. Back in the day classified adds, then Auto Trader, now there's a local internet sight that allows a free listing - with a few offers to upgrade for $$.
The past 2 years as soon as I list something I'll get a text from PA or NY, asking condition, bottom price. Yes they are SCAMS. I got burned buying on Ebay, for a Night Train, but eventually got my money back.
I don't sell on Ebay and to date haven't shipped anything. I have to have CASH in hand or a Certified check that has cleared before property and titles swap hands.
Have any of you seen the same, been scammed, or busted a scammer?
Every Time I've listed something on egay or craiglist the scammers come out like fly's to a watermelon, I hustled harley stuff at swap meets for a living for a couple years in the midwest during the old school pre evo days so my bullshit meter is very sensitive, no problems for me sorting them out quick.

Old 07-26-2018, 02:13 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

I don't know if I'm lucky or not but I've never been scammed on anything I've bought or sold online. I recently sold a Softail tank and fenders to a young guy who lived over 100 miles away. He was going to custom paint and sell them. I had to leave so I left the stuff on the porch and told him to leave the money under the mat. When I got home the parts were gone and the money was there.

Old 07-26-2018, 02:17 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,135 Likes on 3,508 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Every Time I've listed something on egay or craiglist the scammers come out like fly's to a watermelon, I hustled harley stuff at swap meets for a living for a couple years in the midwest during the old school pre evo days so my bullshit meter is very sensitive, no problems for me sorting them out quick.
I'm with Twizted on this one. I've seen them as both buyers, and sellers. I can tell right away what's real and what isn't. It's the world we live in.

Old 07-26-2018, 02:22 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,063 Likes on 11,073 Posts

Only got scammed once, I tried to buy a G-body dash from a member on a car forum. I sent the money and he disappeared. $100 lesson..

Old 07-26-2018, 02:32 PM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

Went through a similar experience.
Buyer sent a certified check, said to cash it immediately (which was a Friday) & his son would pick up the bike over the weekend.
Got the check and it was made out for the wrong amount. Actually $500 more than the agreed upon price. I called the buyer and he said he made a mistake, just give his son the $500 in cash when he picked up the bike. He really wanted to get the deal done during the weekend. Little alarms went off in my head. So I told the buyer I was going to be out of town over the weekend, and he could pick up the bike & the money at the end of the following week or the next weekend. Never heard from the buyer again.
Long story short, the certified check was a fake. Looked real. Bank deposited the amount in my checking account. About 4 days later they notified me the check was a fake. The bank & account the certified check was drawn on did not exist. It was just a good fake print job, including the routing numbers.
If things had gone according to the buyer's plan, he would have got a Harley for free, plus $500 in cash.
Beware, even with the so-called certified checks. They still have to clear, which is something I misunderstood. I thought being certified meant the funds were there, being held for this check, check was automatically good and a done deal. Not so.

The following 4 users liked this post by Daytona Fat Boy:
HenryT (07-30-2018), iamcmf99 (08-02-2018), mitchxout (07-26-2018), mrmarklin (08-03-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 02:47 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

Some certified checks can take weeks to come back as bad. Local bank drawn cashiers checks that can be verified and cashed at the local branch immediately, or cash only.

The following users liked this post:
HenryT (07-30-2018)

Quick Reply: Sellers Beware