General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELMET REVIEWS - I will start...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 09:51 AM
J3TVETTE
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
Arrow

I have not seen a good place for honest motorcycle helmet reviews so I thought this may be a good idea. I know some people do not wear helmets at all and there are instances where I don't as well but this thread is not to change anyones decision. Rather, an honest review of whats out there in the market. I urge everyone to please contribute as many have unanswered questions about the "BEST" helmet.

MODEL: Shark Drak
PRICE PAID: $229

Shark Drak 3/4 Helmet -
I purchased this helmet initially for mostly around town use. I do not have motorcycle specific prescription sunglasses so having the wind in your eyes is not a good feeling. This helmet takes care of that. The face shield is very easy to use and can slide up to the top when you want to just cruise without it. Visibility is very good but it is slightly limited when looking to the sides. I realized I turn my head more then when using a regular full face helmet. I think the optics are very good quality as the helmet seems pretty resistant to scratches on the lenses and does not seem to ever want to fog. The helmet feels lighter than a FF by quite a bit. Fitment is about what you would expect, this is a 2X and fits my big head quite well. The best part is this comes with a quick attach strap which is very easy to use and extremely secure. The liner inside is removable for easy cleaning as well. A negative which I can say I have noticed is the fact that on highway speeds the helmet can get a bit noisy. Where the face mask meets the sides of the helmet the gaps allow for air to push through and basically create a lot of noise for the ears. If I was to choose a helmet for mostly highway riding only a true full face would do.

PHOTOS:

MODEL: HJC CL-17 Punisher II Helmet
PRICE PAID: $184.95

HJC Punisher II:
This is a full face helmet that is mostly used on highway trips. I received this as a gift. I have a pretty big head and this is a size 2X. I noticed that fitment is pretty good overall but the helmet might run just a little big. I think an XL would have suited me just fine. Overall the helmet is decent quality but not a top tier helmet by any means. The face shield does show some gaps in areas that let air in. It comes with a clear shield but any HJ-09 shields fit this helmet. I confirmed with HJC before ordering in case anyone had a similar question as it was not advertised. This is the DARK SMOKE shield that I was a bit afraid to use at night but to be honest it is no big deal. South Florida streets are well lit but I do not recommend this for use in dark areas without street lights. I have the clear shield that originally came with the helmet for that use. The helmet feels big but not heavy compared to many others. Swapping shields is a breeze on these helmets and requires no tools whatsoever. Literally a 10 second ordeal. I wear glasses and there is enough room underneath for them as well. I really wish this helmet came with a quick connect under-chin strap.

PHOTOS:

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-05-2018 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Multiple posts
Old 07-29-2018, 10:05 AM
Tortoise98
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,066 Likes on 756 Posts

Until this year, I only wore a helmet if it was raining. I had a couple of different HJC helmets over the years, but hated wearing one. This spring a guy who works for me hit a deer on the way to work and got a **** ton of staples in his head. Last year I had purchased the new Harley convertible helmet (made by Scorpion, I think). It is a fighter pilot style that will convert to 3/4 or half. I only got it because sometimes I go to states with helmet laws. Since his wreck I have worn a hlemet on the way to work every morning, and I can say this is by far the most comfortable helmet I have ever had, and has never fogged up on me. Not sure this qualifies as a review or not.

The following users liked this post:
mitchxout (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 10:08 AM
J3TVETTE
Cruiser
Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Tortoise98
Until this year, I only wore a helmet if it was raining. I had a couple of different HJC helmets over the years, but hated wearing one. This spring a guy who works for me hit a deer on the way to work and got a **** ton of staples in his head. Last year I had purchased the new Harley convertible helmet (made by Scorpion, I think). It is a fighter pilot style that will convert to 3/4 or half. I only got it because sometimes I go to states with helmet laws. Since his wreck I have worn a hlemet on the way to work every morning, and I can say this is by far the most comfortable helmet I have ever had, and has never fogged up on me. Not sure this qualifies as a review or not.
What did you not like about the HJC helmet? Was it that they feel tight and you feel encompassed? Throw up some pics of what you wear now or a pic from the web. Fighter pilot style is a preference of mine as well.

MODEL: Akoury AK-66 Carbon Fiber
PRICE PAID: $139

Akoury AK-66 Carbon Fiber:
This is being advertised as the smallest and lightest 1/2 DOT approved helmet out there. I'm in full agreement. This is actually my brother's and I tried it out a few times. It honestly feels like you are not wearing a helmet at all. It is VERY VERY light! In fact, it weigh's only 20 ounces. This helmet has the quick attach chin strap which is great and easy to use. It is in fact DOT approved so legally it passes without issue. Fitment is accurate for sizing. There is a size chart on their pages. NOW, the finish on this is carbon fiber (real carbon fiber) and it is matte and not gloss. It shows dirt and finger prints very easily. I don't know how much protection this provides but I'm sure it is just as much as any other 1/2 helmet... not much.

PHOTOS:

MODEL: Harley Davidson Willie G Half Helmet
PRICE PAID: $129 ( mine came with the bike)

Harley Davidson Willie G Half Helmet:
This helmet originally came with my bike. Comparing it to the carbon helmet it is heavier and feels more solid but I believe that is just due to the materials (Not carbon). The front spoiler/shield doesn't seem to do much and is probably just for looks. It does not have a quick strap but is very easy to put on. 1/2 helmets don't have much protection against elements and this is no different. I do find this helmet pretty comfortable just don't use it much as I prefer the FF. I believe this model is no longer sold and they have changed it a little bit by using lighter materials and moving the skull to the front instead of the sides. I did notice that this helmet scratches easily.

PHOTOS:

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-05-2018 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Multiple posts
Old 07-29-2018, 11:27 AM
underwhelmd
Tourer
Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

I'll play along.

Simpson Super Bandit rated SA2010 (made in 2014) The SA standard requires a flammability test along with the other snell tests, so this is not ~really~ a bike helmet unless you figure you're going to end up in a bbq mishap while riding.

Pros: Safe. It's not plastic. It's not hot inside on really hot days but you MUST put the shield up if you stop in traffic. It fits my head really well. I bought it because it looks badass and the company's well earned reputation for motorsports safety gear over many years.
Cons: WIND NOISE. It's bad enough over 60mph that earplugs aren't really helping. Easy to fog up in humid weather while not moving....shield up cures that. Currently looking at a quieter helmet...no hurry to buy, just looking. If this helmet was quieter, I'd buy 10 of them.

edit: I'm too old for a helmet wing.

Last edited by underwhelmd; 07-29-2018 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-29-2018, 11:53 AM
Mark Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Shark Spartan Carbon

Light, good fit, good visability, quiet, excellent ventilation, pinlock (won't even consider a helmet without this). Also has internal sunvisor. I can ride through town with the visor up and sunvisor down for more ventilation. Best helmet i've owned.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mark Faulkner:
mitchxout (07-29-2018), rideon (07-29-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 12:14 PM
mitchxout
Cruiser
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Faulkner
Shark Spartan Carbon

Light, good fit, good visability, quiet, excellent ventilation, pinlock (won't even consider a helmet without this). Also has internal sunvisor. I can ride through town with the visor up and sunvisor down for more ventilation. Best helmet i've owned.
I'm sold, should I sit down before I look up the price?

Old 07-29-2018, 01:07 PM
ve9aa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 399 Posts

"LS2" "stream fan" FF328 in orange. Bought from fortnine online in Canada. $143.99, but I bought mine on sale for $125? I think.
Internal sunshade, external visor.
Don't like the chin strap as there is a metal buckle at an odd angle that cuts into your throat.
Fogs easily.

Nice fit, pretty quiet. 7/10 from me

https://fortnine.ca/en/ls2-ff328-stream-fan-helmet

Old 07-29-2018, 03:46 PM
Mark Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchxout
I'm sold, should I sit down before I look up the price?
It's not cheap, but it's also nowhere near the most expensive. I paid around £300 for mine. No idea what it would cost you in the US.

Old 07-29-2018, 04:25 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,398 Likes on 2,935 Posts

Kabuto Ibuki Modular
Retail price $450

It was a choice between this helmet and the Schuberth modular. No way I could justify spending $700-$800 for the Schuberth, and I wasn't looking forward to spending $450 for the Kabuto, but it was time to get a nice helmet.

Sadly, but lucky for me Western Powersports decided to stop importing the Kabuto helmet line into the United States. I managed to find one online on close out for $238. Kabuto's are a nice helmet, quieter than most modulars, and good ventilation. Parts, cheekpads, etc... are still available since they are still sold in other countries.

Old 07-29-2018, 04:29 PM
RHD51
Road Captain
Received 444 Likes on 205 Posts

I love my new Shoei RF 1200. First time wearing a FF helmet, Fits great, good visibility, good ventilation, quiet, visor seals to gasket when down and stays in any of several positions, easy removal and adjustment.of visor and has pinlock anti fog insert. Liners remove for cleaning or replacement. Only
down side is cost at $499.00.
  • Dual density EPS liner
  • Superior ventilation
  • 3D Max-Dry System II Liner
  • E.Q.R.S. (Emergency Quick-Release System) CWR-1 Shield System
  • Neatly secure chin strap
  • Includes Pinlock pins and lens insert
  • Includes breath guard and chin curtain
  • Snell M2015 and DOT certified

Quick Reply: HELMET REVIEWS - I will start...