General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How will EMTs notify your emergency contact in a crash?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 02:36 PM
Labrador
Road Master
Received 503 Likes on 260 Posts
Default How will EMTs notify your emergency contact in a crash?

For those of you who have been in a motorcycle crash; how did emergency personnel get a hold of your emergency contact? We often discuss here about close calls or accidents that some have been involved in, but I don't recall having read how will EMTs or hospital get a hold of someone to tell them that you got hurt.

I have an ICE contact on my phone but the phone is password protected so that will not help. I thought of maybe adding a tag to my keys or perhaps adding a label on the bike's frame with my emergency contact's phone number. Maybe a bracelet of some kind? Is there a standard spot where they look that I don't know about?

Where do you keep your emergency contact info?

Old 07-29-2018, 02:39 PM
6113_
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32,997 Likes on 12,901 Posts

the iPhone has the Health app which allows for the ICE information to be displayed if the phone is locked,

I also have a Road ID wristband around the handlebar and sometimes carry a set of dog tags with ICE info

worst case, they'll just have to take the tag number off the bike, get the address bike is registered to, and go knock on the door

The following 5 users liked this post by 6113_:
ABQ-Jammer (07-30-2018), arthur (08-12-2018), IzzoQuazzo (08-09-2018), MadMexican (07-29-2018), mtgriz (08-09-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 02:43 PM
Bonnie Storm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,224 Likes on 706 Posts

Well, my last serious collision (motorcycle vs cage) I was never asked. However in the ER a police officer was rifling through my wallet and personal effects as well as ogling my nakedness as they were working on me. They cut off all of my clothing!

But, on the other side of the coin, I have no one to contact in case of emergency, so I really don't worry about such things.

The following users liked this post:
iamcmf99 (07-30-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 02:48 PM
twistr
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 54 Posts

I keep an ICE laminated card in front on my license. Wallet has a clear window and that’s what see first.

ABQ-Jammer (07-30-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 02:54 PM
Labrador
Road Master
Received 503 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by 6113_
the iPhone has the Health app which allows for the ICE information to be displayed if the phone is locked,

I also have a Road ID wristband around the handlebar and sometimes carry a set of dog tags with ICE info

worst case, they'll just have to take the tag number off the bike, get the address bike is registered to, and go knock on the door
Thanks, I did not know that. I just looked at my iPhone and there it is. I learned something new today.

I think I will still add a tag to my keys just in case my phone breaks during the accident and can't be turned on. Not that I don't trust my riding, but it is better to play it safe.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Labrador; 07-29-2018 at 02:56 PM.
ABQ-Jammer (07-30-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 03:01 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,045 Likes on 11,063 Posts

If you are conscious, the advent of cell phones usually means your relatives are there before EMS and police arrives. If you are riding with someone else, they are making the ICE contacts for you.
If you are unconscious, cops and ER room staff usually figure out who you are by going through your wallet and phone contacts.
If you are dead, only the coroner is allowed to touch the remains and make ICE contacts.
BTDT

Old 07-29-2018, 03:09 PM
ConfuciusSay
Road Warrior
Received 2,528 Likes on 683 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Bonnie Storm
Well, my last serious collision (motorcycle vs cage) I was never asked. However in the ER a police officer was rifling through my wallet and personal effects as well as ogling my nakedness as they were working on me. They cut off all of my clothing!

But, on the other side of the coin, I have no one to contact in case of emergency, so I really don't worry about such things.
They cut off your clothes for a bruised elbow?

Old 07-29-2018, 04:34 PM
penmaker
Road Master
Received 441 Likes on 220 Posts

There are some USB dog tags available that you personalize with your information. They hold a lot of info such as a picture, contact information, history, meds and allergies... Just about anything you want to put on them. They have a built in launcher so when they are plugged in the information comes up. Most ems agencies are using laptops or tablets for their run reports and they generally all have USB ports. I'm a paramedic and have come across them a couple times on patients. I have one myself but can't think of the name of it.

ABQ-Jammer (07-30-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 04:36 PM
GeneseeGap
Road Master
Received 75 Likes on 37 Posts

Some hospitals do cut em off. I know here in Houston by Ben t. Hospital Will do it for a bruised elbow!

In Texas your emergency contacts are listed on your drivers license (computerized returns) and should be updated from time to time.

By the way... I never go into any personal space or property unless I got permission from the owner or hospital staff say it’s ok to enter the room. It’s tasteless.

Last edited by GeneseeGap; 07-29-2018 at 04:42 PM.
iamcmf99 (07-30-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 04:37 PM
penmaker
Road Master
Received 441 Likes on 220 Posts

Also, generally ems doesn't try to reach your family. We're to busy trying to get you to the hospital alive and hopefully better than we found you. We leave that parp up to the police and/or ER staff.

Quick Reply: How will EMTs notify your emergency contact in a crash?