General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Pan America 1250

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 11:59 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Originally Posted by perki48
425 is the bare weight. Here are some specs for you.

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/2...ulysses-review
i think he was referring to the weight specs of the pan america....

Old 12-16-2018, 03:08 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,080 Likes on 1,908 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
i think he was referring to the weight specs of the pan america....

The only thing I have seen is this "guesstimate".

https://www.cycleworld.com/breaking-...y-frame#page-4

Old 12-16-2018, 10:38 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I enjoyed the Buell Ulysses since 08 and toured on it extensively. The longest tour was the 12 day 9K ride with two of my sons to the Arctic Circle in 09.

I waited for EBR to come out with a Ulysses version of the Uly which Eric said he was going to do before he went under the second time.

I plan on getting the Pan America at the start of the 20 model year next fall.

I will keep the Uly until the end. It is great machine that most did not know much about. A little known fact about Buell is they were the main competitor of Ducati in the US. During Buell's run they sold around 136,000 bikes which was way more than Ducati sales in the US for the same time period. Also interesting was in the same time period the total of Victory sales was 128,000 before they expired.

The following 2 users liked this post by lh4x4:
Geoff (12-17-2018), perki48 (12-16-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 06:08 AM
rhino1250
Road Warrior
Received 1,344 Likes on 615 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
I enjoyed the Buell Ulysses since 08 and toured on it extensively. The longest tour was the 12 day 9K ride with two of my sons to the Arctic Circle in 09.

I waited for EBR to come out with a Ulysses version of the Uly which Eric said he was going to do before he went under the second time.

I plan on getting the Pan America at the start of the 20 model year next fall.

I will keep the Uly until the end. It is great machine that most did not know much about. A little known fact about Buell is they were the main competitor of Ducati in the US. During Buell's run they sold around 136,000 bikes which was way more than Ducati sales in the US for the same time period. Also interesting was in the same time period the total of Victory sales was 128,000 before they expired.
I'll probably trade my uly in for a pan America when they come out

Old 12-29-2018, 12:42 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 614 Likes on 383 Posts

I hope The Pan America sells. Problem is Harley's execs are not visionary. Well paid but not visionary. The Pan America is a late entry in a very crowded product space. The list goes on but here are a few of the players.

BMW GS
Triumph Tiger
Suzuki V-Strom
Ducati Multistrada
Honda Africa Twin
KTM 1290
Kawasaki Versys
Kawasaki KLR
Yamaha Super Tenere

When the Pan Am is released, it will have no presence in the mind of consumers as a premium brand like cruisers. For this reason Harley's marketing strategy will be key to success at retail. I don't think the Harley lifestyle or "Made in America" brand campaigns will work in the international markets where Harley is trying to grow presence. Pricing is important, too. Pricing the Pan America to compete with the BMW GS isn't a good idea.

Old 01-11-2019, 01:13 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

I've been looking for one of those myself, just waiting for the right one at the right price.
Took me a year to find a clean, low mileage Ulysses. They're out there but disappearing fast. Only 7,432 were produced from 2006 to 2010.

Old 01-11-2019, 01:20 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,080 Likes on 1,908 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff
Took me a year to find a clean, low mileage Ulysses. They're out there but disappearing fast. Only 7,432 were produced from 2006 to 2010.
I find lots of 06' bikes but wonder why so many. Is there a problem with that year other than turning radius?

Old 01-11-2019, 01:29 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

I find lots of 06' bikes but wonder why so many. Is there a problem with that year other than turning radius?
Wasn't aware there are lots of 06 bikes. Go to www.Badweatherbikers.com

Look at the Big, Bad and Dirty Forum

There is a link for new buyers riders that will tell you almost everything you want to know about an Uly

The following users liked this post:
perki48 (01-11-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 09:59 AM
rhino1250
Road Warrior
Received 1,344 Likes on 615 Posts

the 06s were a good bike but are usually really high milage and can get some electrical gremlins with the high milage(worn out sensors,etc...), many were sold or traded when the updated model came out
the 07 had many that had a bad batch of crankshaft failures and those were the year to stay away from
08 and up had better suspension more power and better turning and the last year or two had an extra rear wheel bearing and lasted much longer before needing to be replaced
Over all besides the 07 model they are great bikes

The following users liked this post:
perki48 (01-12-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 06:10 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,450 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by 2wheelwanderer
BINGO! This trigger a thought. Most any company tries to forecast their market 3-7 years out and prepare for such. UNLESS, your business profile is so unwavering you hope the market still accepts you. Honda was WAYYY late to the chopper game with the Fury and too big for their britches, still trying to create their own niche with too many entry level bikes. Yamaha had perfect timing and now has the Star line. Kawi is flexible and looks a few years out.

Then there's Harley whose monied demographic is aging out, trying to get youthful with electric bikes and thinks their overpriced substandard quality will be over shadowed by nice paint and chrome to those who can't afford their products. Now with outrageous chopped yesterdays news, cafe's waning, sport touring bikes not even a blip anymore and adventure bikes all the rage, they are left with their rears flapping in the wind.

This thinking is why GM is closing plants. Trying to turn the iceburg around the Titanic. Great business plan.
" Now with outrageous chopped yesterdays news, cafe's waning, sport touring bikes not even a blip anymore and adventure bikes all the rage, they are left with their rears flapping in the wind."

Not arguing, just curious where you get the idea(fact) that sport touring bikes aren't a "blip" anymore. I don't see that at all in the marketplace. In fact, I'm seriously looking right now at trading my Ultra Classic and getting an FJR1300. Basically for the loss of weight and better performance. I don't need or want a bike with a 34" seat that will be hard to balance at slow speeds.

Don't get me wrong, I like what I see in the Pan, and if the specs are right, and the price, that might just get me turned away from a pure sport touring ride. But there is a lot to find about the the REAL Pan that will hit the street. It's fun to talk about...I get that. But none of us know what the bike will really be until it's product launch and shipment to the dealers. All other talk right now is just speculation. And if Harley tries to price it like they've done with the LIVEWIRE at $30,000, I will tell you right now it will be a colossal failure!

Quick Reply: Harley Pan America 1250