General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Pan America 1250

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 12:58 PM
rhino1250
Road Warrior
Received 1,344 Likes on 615 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamaharley
As much as i dig it i just dont see how harley can be competetive with it. There is no way the suspension will be as good as wp(ktm and triumph) or even yamaha(super tenere) or hondas africa twin. On pretty much all the bikes in the 1200cc segment the suspension is electronically adjustable. And whats it going to weigh?

I mean would you take a harley miles in the woods where if one component fails you have to hike out and leave it? The main selling point of an adventure bike is reliability and durability. Super teneres sell well because of yamaha being one of the most reliable, same with hondas africa twins. I really hope this new motor doesnt replace the sportster and really hope they dont sump like some m8s do.
harleys are reliable too. I off road with my sportster and it hasnt failed me yet
bmw is not known for rock solid reliability but people still take their adventure bikes across no man's land with great success

Last edited by rhino1250; 07-30-2018 at 01:01 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rhino1250:
cacomly (07-30-2018), perki48 (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 01:20 PM
DM426
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 772 Likes on 369 Posts

I'm just not seeing it. I own a KTM Super Adventure 1290S, and I just can't see any scenario where this new Harley adventure bike would be a realistic alternative. The KTM boasts WP active suspension, Bosch cornering ABS, off-road ABS, one of the best TFT displays on the market, tire pressure monitoring, cruise control, riding modes, and probably weighs half what the Harley will weigh. Not to mention it has 160hp courtesy of an engine lifted right out of the 1290 Super Duke R.

And at $17k, the KTM is already one of the best values on the market. I was unconvinced until I rode it. It's just crazy how comfortable and easy to ride it is. Even when riding really hard and aggressive, the bike just feels super planted and confidence inspiring.

Harley will have to work some very special magic to even begin to compete with the most basic entries in the adventure bike market.

Last edited by DM426; 07-30-2018 at 01:21 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by DM426:
Dwebber18 (09-17-2018), keith_stepp (07-30-2018), klap (07-30-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 01:29 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

My hunch is the pricing will pretty much destroy any potential to attract the audience for which the bike is targeted. If the price is not competitive with the Japanese adventure bikes, they can pretty much forget about it. When Harley tries to do something novel and unique, they usually just immediately price themselves out of the market. The design then just festers and dies because the hardcore HD crowd has no interest.

Old 07-30-2018, 01:34 PM
army_eod
Road Warrior
Received 589 Likes on 291 Posts

DM426 nailed it.

Old 07-30-2018, 02:01 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by MiniWolf
My hunch is the pricing will pretty much destroy any potential to attract the audience for which the bike is targeted. If the price is not competitive with the Japanese adventure bikes, they can pretty much forget about it. When Harley tries to do something novel and unique, they usually just immediately price themselves out of the market. The design then just festers and dies because the hardcore HD crowd has no interest.

They are proud of their stuff. VRod would of done better if priced closer to a Sporty than a bagger.

The Street Fighter looks nice, the "Bland American" not so much.

What up with the "Bender" headlights?

Old 07-30-2018, 02:25 PM
panheadache
Road Master
Received 648 Likes on 316 Posts

What gets me is that thing made it all the way from concept to r&d to prototype to production with that front end / fairing styling. Everyone saying "zowee that looks good!"... sheesh. Same bunch that put that bra, vinyl covered bags, ugly wheels, and single disc on the Sport Glide. They always get close and botch everything up.

Eh, if it's lite, I might take the PA, tear off all the front crap down to the triple trees, put on a round headlight and a realistic shield, somehow make up a usable seat, ditch the knobbies, etc. Need to see how they doofus-upped the proposed hard bags.

Originally Posted by panheadache
What gets me is that thing made it all the way from concept to r&d to prototype to production with that front end / fairing styling. Everyone saying "zowee that looks good!"... sheesh. Same bunch that put that bra, vinyl covered bags, ugly wheels, and single disc on the Sport Glide. They always get close and botch everything up.

Eh, if it's lite, I might take the PA, tear off all the front crap down to the triple trees, put on a round headlight and a realistic shield, somehow make up a usable seat, ditch the knobbies, etc. Need to see how they doofus-upped the proposed hard bags.
I'm still just looking for the holy grail: a light simple mid-sized tourer.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-15-2018 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Multiple posts
Old 07-30-2018, 02:35 PM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 585 Likes on 361 Posts

It will be interesting to see what they say at the Dealer meeting in a few weeks and what the final versions look like when they eventually come out.

Originally Posted by rhino1250
harleys are reliable too. I off road with my sportster and it hasnt failed me yet
bmw is not known for rock solid reliability but people still take their adventure bikes across no man's land with great success
206,000 on my Sporty with no major issues until I killed the engine.

As for BMW, Cough cough ... final drive ... cough cough They are probably the most popular brand in long distance riding and their riders love them even though they had their teething problems a few years ago with the final drives

Old 07-30-2018, 02:36 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,917 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Originally Posted by Maccam26
probably a good move, that segment is huge
Depends solely on the bikes performance and price point, knowing the motherships mind set neither will be optimal for selling to the target group. Engines from what I see is based off the current street platform and those are a turd on a good day, just bumping up the CC's won't make up for it. From a personal standpoint I was going to drop that kinda money again it would be with a name brand with a solid track record behind it already. I would like to see it succeed but the moco is going to have do a lot proving to make that happen.

Old 07-30-2018, 02:48 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

The Street Fighter should be a big seller if not outrageously priced and actually has some performance to back up it's styling. You listening MoCo?

I wonder If they will have a new bike to compete against Indian in AMA flat track? Indian has been eating Harley's lunch in that arena.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-15-2018 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Multiple posts
Old 07-30-2018, 03:03 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,917 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Originally Posted by tnriverluver
I wonder If they will have a new bike to compete against Indian in AMA flat track? Indian has been eating Harley's lunch in that arena.
Yeah because the idiots in charge dropped the proven XR platform to try and pimp the street engine which is failing miserably due to it's overall lackluster performance. From what I see these new bikes are based in the same designs, what's that tell you ?

The following users liked this post:
JayStronghawk (07-31-2018)

Quick Reply: Harley Pan America 1250