General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Pan America 1250

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 10:35 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,238 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Faulkner
Ok, so I'm past the "shock" of the looks. After a few days, I can honestly say...I'm digging it...a lot. It is different and right in the ballpark of what I've been wanting. Assuming it will have decent specs, I think I'm looking at my next bike. Already have a done up Switchback and while I really love the design focus of the revamped Softails, there isn't one of any model line that I see that I would sell my bike for. Something like the Pan American offers large travel in the suspension and (assumed) nice power from the new motor. I dig the Mad Max'ness of the aesthetic.

I applaud HD for developing something other than more cruisers. This is the right move for them. The idea of sporty / ADV offerings with the HD dealer network makes for a compelling selling strategy. I see lots of mentions of Buell comparisons, and rightly so to some degree. I've test ridden a Lightening Long and Firebolt when they were around. They were THE funnest bikes I've ever experienced, but they were also the only bike I've experienced where bolts came off on the test ride. Point being, I don't believe the quality of those bikes was a selling point. I'm assuming the quality of these new HD's will be on par with the cruiser offerings. Very excited about these new bikes!!!!

Have to say, since these bikes were announced, I've been following various threads on here and other forums. It is truly amazing how A.) the true hard core traditional cruiser types write as though these HD's were the coming of the Apocalypse and how B.) those that are of an open enough mind to appreciate these new platforms, deride them in their assumptions of how they will compare to like bikes....without even really knowing what the specs of these new bikes are. Entertaining to say the least....

The following 4 users liked this post by rauchman:
banddirector (08-02-2018), dceggert (08-03-2018), GOV5 (08-03-2018), perki48 (08-02-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 12:55 PM
banddirector
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff
The number of touring bikes I've seen this week heading to Sturgis on trailers makes me wonder if the owners have ever rode them beyond the state line. God bless 'em. I only buy used, so they're keeping the miles low on my next ride.
If you're gonna troll the trailer users, please do it on the appropriate thread ....

Old 08-02-2018, 04:14 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

Originally Posted by rauchman
Ok, so I'm past the "shock" of the looks. After a few days, I can honestly say...I'm digging it...a lot. It is different and right in the ballpark of what I've been wanting. Assuming it will have decent specs, I think I'm looking at my next bike. Already have a done up Switchback and while I really love the design focus of the revamped Softails, there isn't one of any model line that I see that I would sell my bike for. Something like the Pan American offers large travel in the suspension and (assumed) nice power from the new motor. I dig the Mad Max'ness of the aesthetic.

I applaud HD for developing something other than more cruisers. This is the right move for them. The idea of sporty / ADV offerings with the HD dealer network makes for a compelling selling strategy. I see lots of mentions of Buell comparisons, and rightly so to some degree. I've test ridden a Lightening Long and Firebolt when they were around. They were THE funnest bikes I've ever experienced, but they were also the only bike I've experienced where bolts came off on the test ride. Point being, I don't believe the quality of those bikes was a selling point. I'm assuming the quality of these new HD's will be on par with the cruiser offerings. Very excited about these new bikes!!!!

Have to say, since these bikes were announced, I've been following various threads on here and other forums. It is truly amazing how A.) the true hard core traditional cruiser types write as though these HD's were the coming of the Apocalypse and how B.) those that are of an open enough mind to appreciate these new platforms, deride them in their assumptions of how they will compare to like bikes....without even really knowing what the specs of these new bikes are. Entertaining to say the least....
very reliable sources told me today they will be on the showroom floor fall of 2019. I put my name the list.

As long as it fits, and has the right bits, I will be touring on her in 14/15 months. The eGlide will be gone and I will have 2 Pans.

The following 2 users liked this post by CanadianRocky:
et998 (08-02-2018), rauchman (08-06-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 08:56 AM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts

I'd like to think that motor will be a torque-focused version of the Indian Scout motor if it's used in the Pan, and HP focused in the SF/Custom. Simple cam and CR change to the motor.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:33 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,100 Likes on 1,913 Posts

^^^^

Why would you want an Indian engine in a Harley?

The following users liked this post:
CanadianRocky (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 09:26 PM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,957 Likes on 2,351 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattbastard
I'd like to think that motor will be a torque-focused version of the Indian Scout motor if it's used in the Pan, and HP focused in the SF/Custom. Simple cam and CR change to the motor.
I hope not, if I wanted an Indian motor, I would buy an Indian.

I do hope the Harley Davidson Pan-America has a good Harley motor, good suspension, traction control, electronic adjustable suspension, cruise and all the other features of the BMW GS1200 at a competitive price point. I want one to go with my other harleys

Old 08-03-2018, 10:33 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by FLSTFI Dave
I do hope the Harley Davidson Pan-America has a good Harley motor, good suspension, traction control, electronic adjustable suspension, cruise and all the other features of the BMW GS1200 at a competitive price point. I want one to go with my other harleys
OMG! Nooooooo.
Harley has completely F-ed up the simple things like their hydraulic clutch, ABS systems, infotainment, and a simple water filler neck. And now they have fluid transfer and sumping issues looming on the new bikes. The last thing I want on these new bikes is technology they can't support. Just give me a simple bike with good suspension and competitive horsepower. Don't ruin it with gadgets that are beyond the MOCO's intellect level. KISS.... Keep It Simple Stupid. Do that and they may have a winner that I will get in line to buy. But hey..... That's just one mans humble opinion. It carries no more weight than anyone else's....

The following users liked this post:
perki48 (08-03-2018)
Old 08-04-2018, 08:00 AM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by perki48
^^^^

Why would you want an Indian engine in a Harley?
Originally Posted by FLSTFI Dave
I hope not, if I wanted an Indian motor, I would buy an Indian.

Seriously??? That's how you guys read what I said??? You actually think I was asking HD to physically install the Indian motor into the Pan American???

I was, in my opinion, clearly implying HD should emphasize torque in the Pan motor and HP in the SF/Custom motor IN COMPARISON TO the Indian Scout motor, which is an excellent example of a 1200cc engine.

The Pan and SF/Custom clearly have the same motor, cam and compression changes and move powerbands easily.

Old 08-04-2018, 08:18 AM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisHo
Showa makes good suspensions and Harley is using them very well. The handling between a 17 and 16 touring bike is nearly night and day. The real killer with adventure bikes is that not all of them want a big bike, the mid range of 750-900 strikes the best balance of weight and power. A lot of the bigger bikes are merely ridden by those after a look who consider off road meaning gravel or their lawn. As for reliability, well its not that bad though both of mine left a bit to be desired. I would not worry too much about reliability because Harley does have a huge dealer network to support you if not a bazillion mom and pop
showas are great but when you compare it to what ktm or triumph uses there is no comparison. Especially the bigger bikes where you hit a button and it will adjust while going down the road. The tenere uses a electronically adjustable showa and its pretty good for stock.

I have a bad feeling that harleys 1250 will make the same or less power than my tiger 800 and it wont be nearly as bullet proof. There are guys on the tiger forum at 100k with only valve adjustments. That is what you want in an adventure bike and if this new 1250 motor is even as powerful as a vrod it will still be way to heavy. I dont know, what i do know is there is no way i would trade the tiger for one. It will need time to prove itself, along with the other bikes. I wouldnt buy that indian clone looking one until harley stops sucking at flat track.

And who doesnt like the front that looks like a beak?

Old 08-04-2018, 08:38 AM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,108 Likes on 8,922 Posts

My GS 1150 made about 85 HP and 70 Torque and it would handle well in the dirt and do 100 mph on the Slab easily. So 100 HP & 80 Torque would do me fine...... as long as the Torque comes on quickly, say around 2500, and stays flat all the way to about 5,000. Most importantly it has to be Tractable. I read the Scout Motor likes to rev and is twitchy below 3,000 rpm. That’s the last thing you need going up a loose gravel 12% grade With 180 degree switchbacks on a fully loaded bike.

If you have ever been stopped at the Apex of a turn like that on a 900+ lb loaded bike, you will know the value of a low Reving bike that has a hill hold feature.

Quick Reply: Harley Pan America 1250