General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1,000 Miles Without Water

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 03:20 PM
SteveHDVAN
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1,000 Miles Without Water

..i'm shopping online for a small hydration pack that I can stuff into my inside pocket and came across this crazy story...enjoy:

1,000 Miles Without Water
Once, on a trip back from Raton New Mexico, I tried to make it all the way back to Redding CA in one day. I left Raton at around 7AM and was crossing the Mohave Desert by 10PM. There was a heat wave going on and it had cooled down to about 105 degrees by Midnight. Sometime at around 2AM, over the Tehachapi Mountain pass, I started to hallucinate. I was being passed by semi-trucks, who seemed to be traveling very fast and then I noticed my handlebars stretching and my tank elongating and I was thinking how weird and interesting that my bike was stretching like that. I looked at the speedo and found I was only going 25mph hour which was also odd to me. And then it struck me that something was very wrong. I drove on to the next exit which was one of the longest 10 minutes of my life and pulled off. It took me a long time to figure out how to shutdown the bike and get off it without dropping it. I was having very paranoid thoughts and I was having both aural and visual hallucinations that included, among others, lions in the grass, homeless undead people, and a gang member drive by. I was traveling with a hand gun and I went for it at one point but had poor motor control and dropped all the rounds before I could get them in my .38 snub nose. Being completely messed up in the mind, it took me a very long time to figure out what was happening. I knew I was hallucinating, and knew I was having a crisis, but I was too disoriented to think clearly. After some time, I realized that it had been a long time since I drank water. In fact, the last time I’d had anything to drink except Red Bull was back in New Mexico in the morning. I started to think that driving in full gear for 1000 miles without water, during a heat wave was somehow related to the homeless undead people coming up from behind me at that very moment. I pulled out a small bottle of water I found in my bags and drank all 12 oz. After a while, I started to come around a bit. I told myself, that as soon as I stopped hallucinating, I would get on the bike and find a hotel room. I was on the road sometime later and heading for Bakersfield. I checked into a hotel room at around 4:30AM, but I was still having mental problems. I called my wife and then tried to sleep but it was hard because of the 8 cans of Red Bull. I tried to re-hydrate myself with water. At around 8AM, I started to get very afraid of the people in the room next to me because they were very angry at me for making noise so late. This wasn’t actually happening, but it felt so real. I became so agitated with this thought that I trotted out of the hotel and started the last 450 miles home to Redding CA. The temps rose to over 115 degrees that day. I had a Red Bull and bought a couple bottles of water. I drank one bottle and used the 2nd one to wet my shirt. Didn't work. I made it as far as Patterson before I had a total melt down. I had to call the paramedics because I was so hot, dehydrated and messed up and I was fairly certain I was going to die. The paramedics explained to me that I was unable to hydrate because I hadn’t eaten anything and I needed the salts and electrolytes in the food to help me re-hydrate. They said that if I eat something, like crackers and maybe some fats and starches that the water that I was now drinking would be able to re-hydrate my body better. They also indicated that having more than 3 cans of RedBull in an 8 hour period can cause some people to hallucinate. Anyway, what I’m trying to say is that having water easily available is a good thing, especially of you are a moron like me. I recommend this product for morons and for those that care about hydration.

Old 07-31-2018, 03:30 PM
Sanjuro
Road Warrior

Received 1,615 Likes on 749 Posts

Lesson learned... and lucky man.

R,
Sanjuro

Old 07-31-2018, 03:33 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,116 Likes on 2,674 Posts

uhh you drank 8 cans of redbull?

Old 07-31-2018, 04:21 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

jesus, that sounds horrible. I bet thats why people go nuts in the end where you find them in a desert with all thier clothes stripped off. I played tennis in 100 degree heat yesterday for 2 hours straight no breaks and no water and i was failing fast. Everything started to get wierd then some guy told me i looked really tired and had better sit down and get some water. I was getting really confused by that time......I have a feeling i was close to sun stroke but nothing like what your talking about. Good thing you had access to water, just think of how messed up things would have been if you wouldnt have had any at all.

Last edited by saltlick; 07-31-2018 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 04:50 PM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 600 Posts

I’m just glad you weren’t able to load your gun.......

Might have shot yourself or an innocent bystander coming to your aid who you thought was a Zombie

Old 07-31-2018, 04:54 PM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,997 Likes on 2,815 Posts

And the Paramedics didn't transport you to a hospital? Right.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:04 PM
CanadianRocky
Club Member
Received 20,084 Likes on 8,913 Posts

I spent most of ‘67, 68. & 69 like that. Nothing to do with water.

The following 2 users liked this post by CanadianRocky:
Geoff (08-01-2018), joe40x (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 05:17 PM
TimmyPage
Road Captain
Received 201 Likes on 106 Posts

Mind using paragraphs? I just skip over large blocks of text like that.

The following users liked this post:
mrmarklin (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 06:25 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,703 Likes on 1,988 Posts

Originally Posted by TimmyPage
Mind using paragraphs? I just skip over large blocks of text like that.
So do I.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:30 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

i wonder why our brains start hallucinating when out of water.

Quick Reply: 1,000 Miles Without Water