General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A little advise

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 08:21 PM
katanaplanet
Banned
Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

You will most likely end up selling it lower than the "private party" selling price with or without mods. Keep the bike.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:38 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

I disagree with the negativism about mods. Sure they will not be worth what you paid for them but most buyers will see some of them as something they want and can get cheaper than new. Who wants a stock Harley? No one I have ever known. No two used bikes are equal but I would take one with after market tune, exhaust and ac over a stock one that I would have to do that to. Same with many comfort and appearance mods. Good luck selling the bike for a good price.

Old 08-05-2018, 10:51 PM
stroker87
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

honestly to get the most out of selling your bike the best route would be putting it back to stock and selling off your mod parts (if you kept your stock stuff and do your own wrenching) other wise like the others said not going to bring much more if any unless some one falls in love with it just the way it is witch means you have to put it out there like an auction site or in every city on CL across America hoping you catch the eye of that ONE buyer who just has to have it and prey he has deep pockets

my current z06 i was able to pick up way under what the going prices was at the time guy had it for sale for a long time, it was modded heads cam headers no one wanted it since it was not "stock" i didnt car since i was going to modding it any way car had about 10k worth of mods bought for 7k under what stock cars same year was selling for

with that said if your lucky any thing is possible!

Old 08-06-2018, 12:01 AM
George Vee
Cruiser
Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

I had a 71 Camaro in 71, wish I had it now

The following users liked this post:
Tony P (08-07-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 06:46 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,150 Likes on 5,594 Posts

As mentioned mods are not a big selling point for most folks. If I see a list of engine mods and speed goodies I usually don't bother to look too long. It tells me the bike was built to go fast and most likely the owner rode the bike hard.
Now things like saddle bags, windshields, better suspension, better seats, or some cosmetic things may get me to look at the bike a little more.
Let's say I've settled on two identical used bikes. One has some of the comfort mods I listed and the other is bone stock. I may be baited in by the one with the comfort mods just because those are usually the first things that I change on a stock bike and if the PO has already done that then its less money I have to spend to set the bike up after I buy it.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:11 AM
iamcmf99
Tourer
Received 180 Likes on 111 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
I disagree with the negativism about mods. Sure they will not be worth what you paid for them but most buyers will see some of them as something they want and can get cheaper than new. Who wants a stock Harley? No one I have ever known. No two used bikes are equal but I would take one with after market tune, exhaust and ac over a stock one that I would have to do that to. Same with many comfort and appearance mods. Good luck selling the bike for a good price.
I agree about putting out more for the mods(pipes, carb, seat etc.) but engine mods? Most guys want horsepower to use it. I would rather have a stock motor.

Last edited by iamcmf99; 08-06-2018 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Lousy grammar skills
Old 08-06-2018, 10:24 AM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

A word about the Camaro...
Check it, or have checked carefully. There is SO much crappy work done on modifications and rust repair. Something that looks perfect can have bad welds on suspension mounting points, rust hole mudded up and finished out to look great on the outside...the list goes on. It is rare for a car of this age to be pristine and rust free. Is is a virtual guarantee that it either has rust or has had rust repair. Use a paint thickness gauge, and inspect the undercarriage carefully. Some of these restorations need more work after the resto is done that the car is worth. Proceed with extreme caution

Old 08-06-2018, 10:54 AM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,116 Likes on 2,674 Posts

The thing with mods is you always wonder if the person knew what they were doing when they installed them.

That's a nice car, and definitely take Mike's advise above.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:59 AM
stroker87
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by kngpn
The thing with mods is you always wonder if the person knew what they were doing when they installed them..
im a gearhead like most of my friends true the years ive seen hack jobs that some top shops in the area done to there cars! hard to believe but true

Old 08-06-2018, 12:16 PM
Gazzalodi
Road Master

Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

Never sell a bike to buy a cage. If that's the only way you can afford it, then you can't afford it.

Quick Reply: A little advise