General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice for parade riding?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 07:50 AM
PPearl
Tourer
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubba Zanetti
Here are some etiquette tips I've picked up through the years-
1) You're going to want to use the Yo-Yo riding technique. Speed up and ride real close to the guy in front of you, that way you wont get separated from the group. Then occasionally drop way back so you can keep an eye on the riders behind you too, you don't want to lose any of them.
2) You'll also want to make sure you have plenty of room in your lane. To do that you'll need to sweep left to right almost constantly. That way there's lots of room on either side of you and the guys around you will not enter your space.
3) As we all know, loud pipes save lives so before the ride starts, remove the baffles from your pipes. Then make sure to rack the pipes every time you slow down or stop. Try to rev it up in between gear shifts too, doing this is particularly cool. The guys around you will appreciate this because they know that all of the cagers nearby will hear the awesome roar of your mighty HD and pay attention.
4) Make sure to do some showboating. Popping wheelies, smoking the tires at intersections and other displays of your riding prowess will show the other riders in the group that you know what you're doing, they will admire your skills as a rider and you will establish dominance over the lesser riders near you.
5) Gasoline is heavy and you want your bike to be as light and nimble as possible. Try to make sure you have very little gas in your tank before the ride starts, a half gallon or less should be enough.
6) If your bike is not in tip top shape don't worry about it. Use some bailing wire or zip ties to make sure loose or broken parts stay in place.
7) Have a few drinks before the ride starts. You want to be relaxed when rolling down the road surrounded hundreds of other bikes.
Following these tips will ensure you have an exciting ride.
Tune in next time when I will discuss how to conduct yourself around 1% clubs.
I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter. Where should I send my check?

The following users liked this post:
6113_ (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 09:47 AM
RHD51
Road Captain
Received 444 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubba Zanetti
Here are some etiquette tips I've picked up through the years-
1) You're going to want to use the Yo-Yo riding technique. Speed up and ride real close to the guy in front of you, that way you wont get separated from the group. Then occasionally drop way back so you can keep an eye on the riders behind you too, you don't want to lose any of them.
2) You'll also want to make sure you have plenty of room in your lane. To do that you'll need to sweep left to right almost constantly. That way there's lots of room on either side of you and the guys around you will not enter your space.
3) As we all know, loud pipes save lives so before the ride starts, remove the baffles from your pipes. Then make sure to rack the pipes every time you slow down or stop. Try to rev it up in between gear shifts too, doing this is particularly cool. The guys around you will appreciate this because they know that all of the cagers nearby will hear the awesome roar of your mighty HD and pay attention.
4) Make sure to do some showboating. Popping wheelies, smoking the tires at intersections and other displays of your riding prowess will show the other riders in the group that you know what you're doing, they will admire your skills as a rider and you will establish dominance over the lesser riders near you.
5) Gasoline is heavy and you want your bike to be as light and nimble as possible. Try to make sure you have very little gas in your tank before the ride starts, a half gallon or less should be enough.
6) If your bike is not in tip top shape don't worry about it. Use some bailing wire or zip ties to make sure loose or broken parts stay in place.
7) Have a few drinks before the ride starts. You want to be relaxed when rolling down the road surrounded hundreds of other bikes.
Following these tips will ensure you have an exciting ride.
Tune in next time when I will discuss how to conduct yourself around 1% clubs.
Now that's funny! Ha Ha Ha

Old 08-10-2018, 10:11 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,183 Likes on 5,610 Posts

Originally Posted by RHD51
Now that's funny! Ha Ha Ha
Thank you, thank you, I'm here all week!

Old 08-10-2018, 10:42 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,665 Likes on 2,675 Posts

I was going to reply, but Bubba covered pretty much everything. Enjoy your ride!

Old 08-10-2018, 11:08 AM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,709 Likes on 5,857 Posts

That's serious Little Dixie country down there, still it looks worth checking out. How did I not know about this?

Old 08-10-2018, 11:48 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 672 Likes on 372 Posts

I want Bubba's info on how to deal with 1% clubs. I know that they like it if I wear their colors out of respect, refer to them as "Bro" or "Brother" even though I'm not a member, and I know that they like it if I go out to the parking lot and sit on their bikes to show interest. But what other tips might there be?

Old 08-10-2018, 12:38 PM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,183 Likes on 5,610 Posts

Originally Posted by Redlegvzv
I want Bubba's info on how to deal with 1% clubs. I know that they like it if I wear their colors out of respect, refer to them as "Bro" or "Brother" even though I'm not a member, and I know that they like it if I go out to the parking lot and sit on their bikes to show interest. But what other tips might there be?
Make sure to slap them on their backs a lot, they dig it and it makes you seem like a real class act.
Also mention that you like guns and knives (cross thread points?)

Old 08-10-2018, 12:40 PM
Chucks1911
Supporter
Received 40 Likes on 14 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Redoilokie
That's serious Little Dixie country down there, still it looks worth checking out. How did I not know about this?
You don't get out much?

I just heard about it recently too.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:42 PM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,709 Likes on 5,857 Posts

Originally Posted by Chucks1911
You don't get out much?

I just heard about it recently too.
I get out plenty, just not to Paris. There's something a little off about that town.

Old 08-10-2018, 04:29 PM
DocTkd
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought an 07 Softail Classic new. As I remember, about 9 months after I bought it, Harley came out with the cylinder de-activitation program to address the heating complaint. As it was an after thought, you had to have the dealer install the program. Maybe the newer ones have an off/on function. I declined the offer, as I had already modified my engine.

Quick Reply: Advice for parade riding?