Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Linked Brakes (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1247661-linked-brakes.html)

JONNIEROCK 08-09-2018 12:24 AM

Linked Brakes

I understand how the linked brake system works on a HD. My question when the rear brake is applied, and your doing over 25 MPH, are both front brakes applied also or is just one of the front brakes, and if so which one right or left.
Thanks Jonnierock

mmesa005 08-09-2018 12:45 AM

Reflex™ Linked Brakes with ABS: All 2014 Harley-Davidson Touring models are available with the new Reflex Linked Brakes with ABS as either Original Equipment or as a factory-installed option. Reflex Linked Brakes combine ABS with electronically linked brakes that dynamically optimize front/rear brake balance. Linked braking is activated when the motorcycle is above 20 to 25 mph. If braking is initiated at slower speeds the front and rear brakes function independently. When linked braking is active, applying the front, rear or both brake controls will apply braking force to both the front and rear brakes in a proportion determined by the Reflex Linked Brakes system to optimize performance. The braking will stay linked as speed drops below the 20-25 mph threshold. Reflex Linked Brakes incorporates ABS to further help the rider maintain control during braking events, especially those that happen in less-than-optimal conditions. Reflex Linked Brakes with ABS are Original Equipment on the 2014 Street Glide Special, Electra Glide Ultra Classic and Ultra Limited Harley-Davidson motorcycle models, and a factory-installed option on the Road King and Street Glide models.

nobodyknowsme 08-09-2018 02:12 AM

Don't think so much man. :icon_omg:

Uncle G. 08-09-2018 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by mmesa005 (Post 17580610)
Reflex™ Linked Brakes with ABS: All 2014 Harley-Davidson Touring models are available with the new Reflex Linked Brakes with ABS as either Original Equipment or as a factory-installed option. Reflex Linked Brakes combine ABS with electronically linked brakes that dynamically optimize front/rear brake balance. Linked braking is activated when the motorcycle is above 20 to 25 mph. If braking is initiated at slower speeds the front and rear brakes function independently. When linked braking is active, applying the front, rear or both brake controls will apply braking force to both the front and rear brakes in a proportion determined by the Reflex Linked Brakes system to optimize performance. The braking will stay linked as speed drops below the 20-25 mph threshold. Reflex Linked Brakes incorporates ABS to further help the rider maintain control during braking events, especially those that happen in less-than-optimal conditions. Reflex Linked Brakes with ABS are Original Equipment on the 2014 Street Glide Special, Electra Glide Ultra Classic and Ultra Limited Harley-Davidson motorcycle models, and a factory-installed option on the Road King and Street Glide models.

Doesn’t answer the OP’s question, does it?

penmaker 08-09-2018 06:50 AM

I'm going strictly by what I've read on here in the past. When you apply the back brake only above 25 mph the linked brake system only applies one of the front brakes. I don't know which side it applies. Since the ABS sensor is on the left side, I'm going to assume that's the side it applies but I have no way to confirm that.

multihdrdr 08-09-2018 09:33 AM

Front Left ... it's in the Owners Manual

DanRC 08-09-2018 09:34 AM

Never mind

Redlegvzv 08-09-2018 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by multihdrdr (Post 17581283)
Front Left ... it's in the Owners Manual

Check.

JONNIEROCK 08-09-2018 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Redlegvzv (Post 17581328)
Check.

Thanks for the information, The reason for the question was because as most riders use the rear all the time the left will obvious wear out sooner than the right, so I wanted which to keep an eye on. Once again thanks for the info.
Jonnierock

Redlegvzv 08-09-2018 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by JONNIEROCK (Post 17581399)
Thanks for the information, The reason for the question was because as most riders use the rear all the time the left will obvious wear out sooner than the right, so I wanted which to keep an eye on. Once again thanks for the info.
Jonnierock

Unless you ride pretty differently than I do I doubt it. My ABS very rarely kicks in -- it is for emergencies only and I try not to have those. Normally when you apply the front brake both sides apply. Surely no one here activates their ABS enough to affect wearing over the long term.