Linked Brakes - Harley Davidson Forums

General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Linked Brakes

Old 08-09-2018, 12:24 AM
JONNIEROCK
Road Captain
Default Linked Brakes

I understand how the linked brake system works on a HD. My question when the rear brake is applied, and your doing over 25 MPH, are both front brakes applied also or is just one of the front brakes, and if so which one right or left.
Thanks Jonnierock

Old 08-09-2018, 12:45 AM
mmesa005
Road Warrior

Reflex™ Linked Brakes with ABS: All 2014 Harley-Davidson Touring models are available with the new Reflex Linked Brakes with ABS as either Original Equipment or as a factory-installed option. Reflex Linked Brakes combine ABS with electronically linked brakes that dynamically optimize front/rear brake balance. Linked braking is activated when the motorcycle is above 20 to 25 mph. If braking is initiated at slower speeds the front and rear brakes function independently. When linked braking is active, applying the front, rear or both brake controls will apply braking force to both the front and rear brakes in a proportion determined by the Reflex Linked Brakes system to optimize performance. The braking will stay linked as speed drops below the 20-25 mph threshold. Reflex Linked Brakes incorporates ABS to further help the rider maintain control during braking events, especially those that happen in less-than-optimal conditions. Reflex Linked Brakes with ABS are Original Equipment on the 2014 Street Glide Special, Electra Glide Ultra Classic and Ultra Limited Harley-Davidson motorcycle models, and a factory-installed option on the Road King and Street Glide models.

Old 08-09-2018, 02:12 AM
nobodyknowsme
Elite HDF Member

Don't think so much man.

The Following User Says Thank You to nobodyknowsme For This Useful Post:
BTLorys (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 06:31 AM
Uncle G.
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by mmesa005 View Post
Reflex™ Linked Brakes with ABS: All 2014 Harley-Davidson Touring models are available with the new Reflex Linked Brakes with ABS as either Original Equipment or as a factory-installed option. Reflex Linked Brakes combine ABS with electronically linked brakes that dynamically optimize front/rear brake balance. Linked braking is activated when the motorcycle is above 20 to 25 mph. If braking is initiated at slower speeds the front and rear brakes function independently. When linked braking is active, applying the front, rear or both brake controls will apply braking force to both the front and rear brakes in a proportion determined by the Reflex Linked Brakes system to optimize performance. The braking will stay linked as speed drops below the 20-25 mph threshold. Reflex Linked Brakes incorporates ABS to further help the rider maintain control during braking events, especially those that happen in less-than-optimal conditions. Reflex Linked Brakes with ABS are Original Equipment on the 2014 Street Glide Special, Electra Glide Ultra Classic and Ultra Limited Harley-Davidson motorcycle models, and a factory-installed option on the Road King and Street Glide models.
Doesn’t answer the OP’s question, does it?

Old 08-09-2018, 06:50 AM
penmaker
Road Master

I'm going strictly by what I've read on here in the past. When you apply the back brake only above 25 mph the linked brake system only applies one of the front brakes. I don't know which side it applies. Since the ABS sensor is on the left side, I'm going to assume that's the side it applies but I have no way to confirm that.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:33 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member

Front Left ... it's in the Owners Manual

Old 08-09-2018, 09:34 AM
DanRC
Road Captain

Never mind

Old 08-09-2018, 09:50 AM
Redlegvzv
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by multihdrdr View Post
Front Left ... it's in the Owners Manual

Check.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:22 AM
JONNIEROCK
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Redlegvzv View Post
Check.
Thanks for the information, The reason for the question was because as most riders use the rear all the time the left will obvious wear out sooner than the right, so I wanted which to keep an eye on. Once again thanks for the info.
Jonnierock

Old 08-09-2018, 10:36 AM
Redlegvzv
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by JONNIEROCK View Post
Thanks for the information, The reason for the question was because as most riders use the rear all the time the left will obvious wear out sooner than the right, so I wanted which to keep an eye on. Once again thanks for the info.
Jonnierock
Unless you ride pretty differently than I do I doubt it. My ABS very rarely kicks in -- it is for emergencies only and I try not to have those. Normally when you apply the front brake both sides apply. Surely no one here activates their ABS enough to affect wearing over the long term.

Search this Thread
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: