General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Out of state HD purchase

Old 08-12-2018, 08:52 PM
bkrell
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, it's an conundrum. It's my wife's grandfather that bought the bike just to hear it idle in his garage. He used to help his sons build Harleys and got a little sentimental. I happened to be the first one to hop on it and take everyone for a ride around town on it. So a month later my wife mentions to him it's got me thinking about buying a bike and he insists I just take the one he bought since he'll never ride it. I thought he was joking until he called today to ask me how we were going to come pickup the bike!

Old 08-12-2018, 08:56 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,850 Likes on 8,233 Posts

Originally Posted by 6113_
I saw what you wrote above on the gifted vehicle, I thought there was something about a minimum dollar amount attached to the gift?

Hard to believe Bill Haslam and his crew are going to turn down a dollar bill on anything
I hear ya. lol But a gift was a gift to me. Oh, they got me on the title and tags, and a wheel tax sticker here in Jackson county.

Originally Posted by bkrell
Yeah, it's an conundrum. It's my wife's grandfather that bought the bike just to hear it idle in his garage. He used to help his sons build Harleys and got a little sentimental. I happened to be the first one to hop on it and take everyone for a ride around town on it. So a month later my wife mentions to him it's got me thinking about buying a bike and he insists I just take the one he bought since he'll never ride it. I thought he was joking until he called today to ask me how we were going to come pickup the bike!
Congrats Dude. Go get the bike!!

Old 08-12-2018, 08:57 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,941 Likes on 2,163 Posts

I'm pretty sure every state has ways of dealing with "gifts" when it comes to taxing them. When it comes to gifted vehicles and taxes, I would think they will either ask you to declare a value when you register the vehicle or they will use a vehicle pricing guide (NADA, KBB, etc.) to determine the value, then tax accordingly. Again, contact your state's DMV. I'm pretty sure this won't be the first time they've dealt with a situation like yours.

The following users liked this post:
bkrell (08-13-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 07:47 AM
bkrell
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
I'm pretty sure every state has ways of dealing with "gifts" when it comes to taxing them. When it comes to gifted vehicles and taxes, I would think they will either ask you to declare a value when you register the vehicle or they will use a vehicle pricing guide (NADA, KBB, etc.) to determine the value, then tax accordingly. Again, contact your state's DMV. I'm pretty sure this won't be the first time they've dealt with a situation like yours.
Yeah, that's what I figured. I just don't want to cart this thing all the way from the top of Missouri and run into some snafu with either LA OMV or Missouri DMV.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:32 AM
rjacobs
Tourer
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

walk into your local DMV and ask them.

I just bought a car in Missouri and titled it here in Texas. I picked up the car on a trailer and the signed title. On a Missouri title there is a place to put sales price...leave it blank in your case.

There is a Missouri DMV form that they can get online that is Form 5049 for sale/transfer of title. This is required from what the instructions say and the seller can be fined up to 200 dollars if this is not filled out and submitted. They will mail a copy into Jefferson City.

As far as Louisiana goes, walk into your local DMV and ask what is required beyond having the title in hand and likely filling out an application for title and registration.

I believe in Texas there was a block on the application for title that said something about it being a gift... I dont know what else is required if you check that box, but I am guessing a signed and maybe notarized letter from the previous owner. Otherwise in Texas you pay SPV(standard presumptive tax) if no sales price is indicated.

Last edited by rjacobs; 08-13-2018 at 08:34 AM.
bkrell (08-13-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 09:23 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,164 Likes on 5,391 Posts

Every state is different do your homework.

I bought a toy hauler in South Carolina and brought it to MS...according to SC law they had to collect the sales tax there...and send it to MS.

Some states will charge you sales tax on it... "gifted" or not.

bkrell (08-13-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 10:00 AM
PovertyRider
Road Master
Received 197 Likes on 140 Posts

It seems to me it would be so much easier to get a notarized bill of sale and receipt for $500 and be done with it. Those and the signed over title should clear any state issue.
Just my 02 cents.

bkrell (08-13-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 06:28 PM
AFSOC_Commando
Tourer
Received 134 Likes on 88 Posts

Check at YOUR DMV. My father gave my wife a car and WV has a gift form that must be used. They also then tax it based on market value. I then found out if he sold it to us the lowest taxed amount that can be claimed was $500. It was easier for him to give me a notarized BOS for $500 then to do the gift form. Saved us about $200 in taxes when we registered it.

Since it is a gift from a person you should owe nothing in Missouri. If you bought it from a business that is different from state to state.

Again, call your local DMV and tell them you are getting a bike from a family member in Missouri and see what they tell you about gift vs sales tax and what paperwork you will need to get it registered properly.

Good Luck!

bkrell (08-13-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 07:03 PM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,620 Likes on 1,527 Posts

Here in Wisconsin, it depends on the relative. Gifted by parents, no tax, all others, pay up.

bkrell (08-13-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 07:23 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 737 Likes on 704 Posts

Take a look at the Louisiana DMV web site and the transaction you are wanting to do is an "Act of Donation". In specific a "Manual Gift". The forms you need to fill out are here http://web01.dps.louisiana.gov/omv1....2564bb0074bc3c - Check with your DMV as one form requires both parties to be present during the Notarizing of the signatures.
Furthermore, if there is any tax assessed it will be based on the Parish you live in and the additional fees indicated in the required documents.

At least that is what I am garnering from the LA DMV web site?

As others have noted you should talk to the DMV and seek specific guidance for completing the transaction.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Out of state HD purchase