General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Out of state HD purchase

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 10:20 PM
bkrell
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmesa005
Take a look at the Louisiana DMV web site and the transaction you are wanting to do is an "Act of Donation". In specific a "Manual Gift". The forms you need to fill out are here http://web01.dps.louisiana.gov/omv1....2564bb0074bc3c - Check with your DMV as one form requires both parties to be present during the Notarizing of the signatures.
Furthermore, if there is any tax assessed it will be based on the Parish you live in and the additional fees indicated in the required documents.

At least that is what I am garnering from the LA DMV web site?

As others have noted you should talk to the DMV and seek specific guidance for completing the transaction.
Yeah, there are two different donation forms. I didn't understand that manual donation form... I put in an email to dmv requesting they contact me, as they no longer had a phone number contact under the "contact us" link. My local dmv office is a zoo...

Old 08-14-2018, 05:42 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,942 Likes on 2,164 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrell
Yeah, there are two different donation forms. I didn't understand that manual donation form... I put in an email to dmv requesting they contact me, as they no longer had a phone number contact under the "contact us" link. My local dmv office is a zoo...
Mine, too. No phone number, either. Plus, they don't take "walk-ins". You have to have an appointment. It's ridiculous.

The following users liked this post:
bkrell (08-14-2018)
Old 08-14-2018, 09:45 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrell
skip your local and go to one of the 'satellite' offices, (like in the insurance company, etc.) they are usually less crowded and easier to deal with.

Old 08-14-2018, 01:55 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 842 Posts

Originally Posted by JW1200
That's the point of the thread. The bike he is going to get is a gift. So, he should not pay sales tax.
That depends on the state where he is registering it. Some will still charge tax on what they consider fair market value. Otherwise people would just call all purchases gifts to avoid the tax.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:28 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 241 Likes on 106 Posts

Here in NH you would get a bill of sale, if need be give him $20. Bring title and bill of sale to DMV.
They have a book to look up the value, the value will determine the amount you pay for registering. Than another $25 for a new title.

Done, ride bike and enjoy.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:55 AM
bkrell
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, to tie this thread up, I ended up giving him $1000 just to ease the process. He was unsure about the gift process as well and I just figured it would make things simpler if I just gave him some money and we typed out a bill of sale. I'm not worried about the money and I wasn't going to turn down someone who wanted to give me a bike. Trailered it about 700 miles back home and gave it a good wipe down. It's in outstanding condition. I'm hopefully going to the DMV to register it today.

Old 11-29-2018, 01:57 PM
Navyvette
Tourer
Received 168 Likes on 68 Posts

Cool deal, glad you got it and I’m sure it will be fairly painless at the DMV.

Old 11-29-2018, 02:04 PM
SWFLGuy
Road Warrior
Received 1,211 Likes on 597 Posts

So...pics??

Old 11-29-2018, 02:07 PM
BigDawgQC
Road Warrior

Received 313 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by PovertyRider
It seems to me it would be so much easier to get a notarized bill of sale and receipt for $500 and be done with it. Those and the signed over title should clear any state issue.
Just my 02 cents.
^^^This.

Old 11-29-2018, 02:14 PM
katanaplanet
Banned
Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

Just a bill of sale as a gift will do. Better if you can get it notarized. No problem if you can't. You only have to get an out of state inspection(costs 45), and pay registration.

Quick Reply: Out of state HD purchase