Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   Out of state HD purchase (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1248236-out-of-state-hd-purchase.html)

bkrell 08-12-2018 07:59 PM

Out of state HD purchase

Hi everyone. First post but evidently not the last. I'm in a weird predicament. A relative wants to give me their Sportster from out of state. They live in Missouri. I've browsed the Missouri DMV page and not quite sure I've found what I'm looking for. Basically, what, if any tax would have to be paid if the bike is a gift in Missouri THEN how to pay appropriate tax in Louisiana where I live? I haven't bought a vehicle from out of state in 12 years and I know it was a straight forward process then. But...I have no idea how or if a gifted vehicle would be different.

Thanks in advance!

GalvTexGuy 08-12-2018 08:07 PM

I bought my bike from out of state. When I registered the bike in my state, that's when I had to pay the tax. Check with your state's DMV.

FLSTC-Dave 08-12-2018 08:14 PM

Just have em write out a bill of sale or gift in your case. I'd have it notarized. Sign over the title to you and press on. If your not registering it here in Missouri no tax or anything to worry about.

bkrell 08-12-2018 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by FLSTC-Dave (Post 17589980)
Just have em write out a bill of sale or gift in your case. I'd have it notarized. Sign over the title to you and press on. If your not registering it here in Missouri no tax or anything to worry about.

Thanks! What about on their part? They just surrender the plates? Looking online, there's a gift affidavit form and a requirement that the vehicle has had a safety inspection in the last 60 days if older than 5 years. Is all that necessary only if the receiver of the gift is trying to register it in Missouri?

JW1200 08-12-2018 08:24 PM

Check with your local DMV. Someone gave me a bike years ago and I went to the DMV and told them I was going out of state to get this bike from a friend. They gave me a paper to take with me and have the person sign it, you sign it, saying it was a gift. I didn't have to pay any sales tax on the bike. I did pay for title and tags.

bkrell 08-12-2018 08:27 PM

Yeah, I just found a Louisiana act of donation form online that has to be notarized. I may have to go that route.

JW1200 08-12-2018 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by bkrell (Post 17590021)
Yeah, I just found a Louisiana act of donation form online that has to be notarized. I may have to go that route.

You don't have to have it notarized in Tennessee. But I sold a bike to some fellers in Kentucky and when they came down to get it, I took them to my local court house and had papers notarized with them. Each state is different.

6113_ 08-12-2018 08:38 PM

I've bought three vehicles and one motorcycle in Missouri and titled them in Tennessee, they will give you a bill of sale, odometer statements, etc. and you take that to your titling authority and pay the sales tax in your state that you're registering the vehicle in

the only place I've had buying a vehicle outside of Tennessee is California where they wanted me to pay all the sales tax for California and then again in Tennessee. That deal did not go through

JW1200 08-12-2018 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by 6113_ (Post 17590047)
I've bought three vehicles and one motorcycle in Missouri and titled them in Tennessee, they will give you a bill of sale, odometer statements, etc. and you take that to your titling authority and pay the sales tax in your state that you're registering the vehicle in

the only place I've had buying a vehicle outside of Tennessee is California where they wanted me to pay all the sales tax for California and then again in Tennessee. That deal did not go through

That's the point of the thread. The bike he is going to get is a gift. So, he should not pay sales tax.

6113_ 08-12-2018 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by JW1200 (Post 17590064)
That's the point of the thread. The bike he is going to get is a gift. So, he should not pay sales tax.

I saw what you wrote above on the gifted vehicle, I thought there was something about a minimum dollar amount attached to the gift?

Hard to believe Bill Haslam and his crew are going to turn down a dollar bill on anything