General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who hasn't dropped their bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 11:36 PM
Joe from So Cal
Tourer
Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Who hasn't dropped their bike?

I'm reading the comments about "There are those that have and those that will", "Just a matter of time " etc.

I've had my license since 1980, started on a small but very quick bike and rode only big bikes after that. The only time I've been down was when a lady turned in front of me.

I know for a fact I haven't logged the miles that some here have and unavoidable situations are just that, but I try to focus hard anytime I'm turning at low speeds, entering a driveway and the like.

Is dropping my bike really inevitable?

Old 08-16-2018, 05:10 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

I do think if you ride enough miles a bike drop will occur, however at the same time I think with experience and advancing your skill set you lessen that chance. Like you I have been riding a very long time going back to my youth on dirtbikes and then most of my adulthood on Harleys and knock on wood I have not had a real issue with drops. There have been two times that I have had to pick my HD up and both occurred within a year of each other around 2002-2003, the first was due to a driver hitting me in the back while I was at a stop sign. I had my right blinker on and after the car in front of me proceeded through the intersection the car that was stopped behind me "Assumed" I was just going to roll the sign since I was turning right and there was no traffic. Result was minor cosmetic damage to the WG I was on but I was unhurt. The other dropped was on a very long freshly graveled downhill driveway to the house we were renting near Deadwood for Sturgis. Due to the downhill and fresh gravel it was sketchy, I let the front in wash out and of course when I put my foot down it also slid in the rocks. It was a very slow, comical (according to friends) dropping of the bike. Both my wife and I jumped free and the only damage was a couple scratches on the grip and peg.

On the other side of the coin I have an acquaintance who I have witnessed drop a bike several times, two of which were getting off the bike and not remembering to put the kick stand down another was a slow speed incident when he had the "bright" idea to hit the front brake in gravel with the bars turned. Obviously when he rides with us we put him at the tail of the group and do not park near him at stops LOL.

Bottom line I feel accidents will occur but there is a lot that one can do as a rider to lessen those chances

Old 08-16-2018, 05:45 AM
Back-n-Black
Road Warrior
Received 427 Likes on 229 Posts

I haven't dropped it......

But I did go down doing 70... Does that count...

Mudflap took me out...

Old 08-16-2018, 07:14 AM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

I have never dropped my sportster, or bigdog.
However I have dropped the Fatboy, roadglide, and Honda

Old 08-16-2018, 07:28 AM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,574 Likes on 9,799 Posts

A "drop" or a "tip" ? same thing? or are we talking high side / lowside crashes?... I have tipped both my bikes, once was the fronttire sank in mud, and the other was when the bike was on higher ground than where I thought my footing was, and well, once the weight shifts....

Old 08-16-2018, 07:43 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

If you ride two thing will happen and are inevitable , you will drop the bike at some time in your life and you will get caught in the rain. I ride a trike now so if i drop it i'm in a world of hurt.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:17 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe from So Cal
Is dropping my bike really inevitable?
Of course not. Said the guy who's dropped his bike.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:21 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 329 Likes on 287 Posts

Current owned bike?
This one I have not dropped.

But since bike ownership inception, yes decades ago,
sure I have dropped bikes....mainly missed kickstand
placement, if racing crashes are not included in this
survey.

I concur, with OP statement "There are those that have and those that will", "Just a matter of time " etc.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:33 AM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,709 Likes on 5,857 Posts

I dropped mine in my yard, in the mud. It was raining when I got home and I didn't want to move the truck out of the driveway to get the bike in the garage. Wish I had. That Road King weighed a ton rasslin' it around in that mud.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:39 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

I dropped one when a teenager with no insurance fooling with her phone figured her left turn was more important than my right of way. Does that count?

Quick Reply: Who hasn't dropped their bike?