General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Penalty for breather mod in Cal.?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 06:01 AM
sparkalot
Road Warrior
Received 773 Likes on 346 Posts

I used a catch can instead of venting to ground only because I had images of oil accumulating somewhere on the lower part of the bike, or getting on the rear tire. Possibly an overactive imagination. I might be overthinking it. Wouldn't be the first time. Plus I saw an opportunity to add a small bit of chrome while avoiding hot oily air feeding to the intake. Since this picture I have changed the breather mount bolts so the intake is fully supported, some very helpful guys here with keen eyes brought it to my attention

Breathing system with Kuryakin catch can.

The following users liked this post:
Chicago Ken (08-26-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 09:01 AM
holytown
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

My buddies god mother is a retired LAPD Sargent. Her exact words to us a couple weeks ago when we were there were.....”lapd could give a **** less about what motorcycles are doing. It’s one less car we have to worry about taking up a spot.”

Old 08-26-2018, 10:47 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Good enough for me.....

Old 08-26-2018, 09:54 PM
Chicago Ken
Road Warrior
Received 345 Likes on 159 Posts

Were can I get a system like the one pictured in the previous post?
I have the screaming Eagle heavy breather air cleaner. Looking at the picture it looks like I would need longer breather bolts or special fittings to connect the braided lines.
Does anyone sell a bolt on kit or will I have to piece this together?

Last edited by Chicago Ken; 08-26-2018 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:16 PM
sparkalot
Road Warrior
Received 773 Likes on 346 Posts

I made up my own kit. I just very recently changed to longer breather bolts to give the K&N casting and filter proper support. I bought a "banjo bolt kit", some stainless braided 3/8 fuel hose from a local hot rod shop, a Kuryakin catch can, and some little chrome dress up fitting covers. I attached some pictures, but if you want more detail please feel free to PM me. Happy to share vendors and sourcing details.

Modified K&N to use external breather system

Cutting braided hose with tape to contain wires.

Last edited by sparkalot; 08-26-2018 at 11:29 PM. Reason: wrong pic caption
The following users liked this post:
Chicago Ken (08-27-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 01:14 PM
Highwaymans
Road Warrior
Received 493 Likes on 331 Posts

Probably nil..... BUT there was a time when a by the book guy motor named Stout worked the Hwy 2 on his BMW..... He knew bikes and knew how to ride.... And made it a point to know that Hwy 2 was his beat by his pen.... He DID write tickets for that kinda stuff.... Bikes and cars playing on the hill.... He has been retired for awhile...... Just saying theres guys out there.....

Old 08-27-2018, 02:03 PM
danhahn
Tourer
Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by martin10
The irony is the vents are there to reduce pollution. But with the engines getting bigger and bigger its hard for the vents to keep up. My 114 M8
drips oil out of air cleaner if run hard. So I am effectively causing the very pollution the epa was trying to eliminate. Venting to atmosphere and using a catch can will reduce pollution compared to stock. Gotta love that. Now the question becomes does venting to atmosphere have an effect on your warranty? That is my only concern and have yet to find an answer.
My vented to the atmosphere EGlide developed an oil leak at one of the pushrod tubes. I asked the service write up guy if the external vent could have caused the leaky seals and also if it would impact the warranty.
He didn't hesitate to tell me that it did not cause the leak and also that it would not affect the warranty, at least as far as replacing the seals.