General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Avoid VooDoo Bikeworks!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 05:17 PM
Bafflingbs
Club Member

Received 925 Likes on 557 Posts

I'm sure you you've seen my posts on the VooDoo Bikeworks "Vendetta" fairing, and how excited I was to get it. Well, be careful of what you wish for. I did finally end up getting it, after a snafu with tracking. They swore they had shipped it, UPS swore they didn't. OK, I believed VooDoo, due to Savanna's (Owner's Girlfriend I think) very genuine thoughtfulness. When I did get it, the box was marked Fragile, yet was very badly damaged. Even with VooDoo taking great care to protect it, the paint was marred at the windshield trim. 1 demaret UPS.
I look at the wiring that accompanied the fairing, and the very vague instruction"s, and it didn't add up. It had two small (2) pin connectors, that were somehow supposed to work with Harley Streetglides. Well they don't, so I had to cut and splice these wires into a 4 pin headlight plug, that my dealer most graciously gave me. 1 Demaret VooDoo. This unit has NEVER been plugged into a Harley. After a few hours of forcing this fairing to fit (fitment was off), the fairing was misshaped, some of the holes were off, and trying to guess how to wire this thing, I gave up and rode the bike to my dealer. 2 demarets Voodoo.
Let me reiterate, the wiring was not for a harley, and had never been fitted to a Harley. I know this, because I was the first to splice the wires. No real biggie in and of itself, but wait... So after a week, Smitty, at All American Harley, figured out the wiring, but he couldn't mount the fairing with the stock turn signals. I told you, it is misshaped and the hole don't all line up. He even had to bore a few of the holes out a bit to make it fit. 3 demarets (SP) VooDoo. I ask him to not forget to align the headlights, of which he said he would. I get the bike back, and ride it home (during the daylight) with the Demon eyes a glow all the while thinking this is awesome. Well, except for the fact that the paint didn't match and no pinstriping. Also, I've noticed an increase in wind buffeting. 1 demaret me, I knew I was diving into the custom world, and things would be a little different. Harley's been in the game for a few more years than VooDoo, and if they had found a better design for their fairing, it would probably be done.
Ok, now I've got it home, and later that night, I wanted to see how much better these lights would be than my Daymaker. So, off I go, down my street, and realize I can't see more than 20-25 ft. ahead of my bike. I also notice that they aren't aligned. I'm pissed, because a big selling point to me was the fact that I'd have 2 lights that are supposed to be 300% brighter than stock. Brighter doesn't mean ****, if they don't point far enough out in front of you. From this point forward, I began calling VooDoo, leaving messages, texting, facebooking, you name it, I tried it. Savanna did answer a few times, and promised to get the owner or one of the guys to call me back, but they're in the middle of moving to a new location and getting ready for Sturgis. No one called me back, needless to say.
After several days of I.M., with no response, I call, what I think now, was Savanna's cellphone, she put Cody (owner) on the phone, and he said, "I don't have the lights in front of me, so I can't tell which bolt is what". "you'll just have to turn some bolts on the back, until you see it move". Me: "I sent you a picture of the back of the lights, and circled the bolts I believe to be the right ones." Cody: "I can't tell from the picture, I need it in front of me" Me: "well who makes the lights?" Cody: "They're from a vender in California. I think they're made in China" " But I promise, they were mounted on a 2017 streetglide we bought especially for this, and made sure they were pointing where they should." I decided that I didn't want to be a pest while he was at his tent in Sturgis, so I took him at his word. Perhaps Smitty forgot to align them like I asked. It wasn't till later, that I realized Cody must have been lying. The wiring, remember, could NOT be plugged into a harley, as it wasn't wired for a Harley. Game set and match, Voodoo. On their website, they said they charge a 30% restocking fee. And, I'll never be reimbersed for the time and money I spent at Harley. And, I'd loose a substantial amount for restocking. I applaud VooDoo, for thinking outside the box, on some cutting edge designs. But, aside from Savanna, their costumer care sucks ***! Avoid them, unless you have the money to fix their flaws.

Oh, and just a follow up; The lights are made by KTMoto, for a Yamaha R3. The lights I got were highly modified, with stuff cut off of it. And yes, I did finally locate the instructions on how to adjust them. I just found it too late. Seems I turned some bolts too much, and they came out of their threaded holes. Incodentally, I asked Cody if I could send them back to him, to have him look at them, and replace them if need be. He said he'd check them out, but fell short of saying he'd replace them.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-31-2018 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Multiple posts
The following users liked this post:
rickarballo (05-19-2021)
Old 08-20-2018, 05:35 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,668 Likes on 1,660 Posts

That's quite a rant. I got through the first couple of lines before my eyes glazed over.

Paragraph breaks are your friend.

2goldens (08-23-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 05:48 PM
Bafflingbs
Club Member

Originally Posted by 0maha
That's quite a rant. I got through the first couple of lines before my eyes glazed over.

Paragraph breaks are your friend.
Think of it as one big paragragh

Old 08-20-2018, 06:57 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Bafflingbs
Think of it as one big paragragh
Thank you for the update,Always good to know a thief in the vendor world.

Bafflingbs (08-20-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 07:05 PM
Labrador
Road Master
Received 503 Likes on 260 Posts

What you experienced is normal with one-offs and in the realm of the custom world. It is the companies that make thousands of the same units that get these issues ironed out and who have a better fit and finish.

Think positive and tell yourself that you have a one-of-a-kind bike and truly custom. Ride and enjoy, To go as far as to say on this forum "not to buy from Voodoo" is 5 demerits on you

Bafflingbs (08-20-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 07:08 PM
barneyboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,624 Likes on 1,530 Posts

So you read the instructions after you effed it up?

Old 08-20-2018, 07:44 PM
justposts
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

“VOO DOO BIKEWORKS” .......the name alone would be enough for me to steer clear!

Old 08-20-2018, 09:53 PM
Bafflingbs
Club Member

Originally Posted by barneyboy
So you read the instructions after you effed it up?
Nice.....The directions were not supplied. The name of the company who made the lights, was not supplied, or known at the time. I found an actual video showing how to adjust the lights, on the web, after I guessed which bike they were made for. I’m still not sure if the lights are for an R3, as no questions have been answered. But hey, thanks for your valuable input.

Originally Posted by Labrador
What you experienced is normal with one-offs and in the realm of the custom world. It is the companies that make thousands of the same units that get these issues ironed out and who have a better fit and finish.

Think positive and tell yourself that you have a one-of-a-kind bike and truly custom. Ride and enjoy, To go as far as to say on this forum "not to buy from Voodoo" is 5 demerits on you
Believe me, I’ve been extremely patient with them. I’ve always been courteous when I’ve actually spoke to them. The owner swears everything was perfect when it left his shop, and refuses to take responsibility for his work. How is it, that I’m left feeling like the bad guy, for reaching out for help. As you said, it’s custom, he made it, and he should stand by it. When you plop down thousands of dollars, you expect it to be perfect. I guess I’m not cut out for the custom world. I like **** to work.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-31-2018 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Multiple posts
Old 08-20-2018, 10:19 PM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Originally Posted by Bafflingbs
Believe me, I’ve been extremely patient with them. I’ve always been courteous when I’ve actually spoke to them. The owner swears everything was perfect when it left his shop, and refuses to take responsibility for his work. How is it, that I’m left feeling like the bad guy, for reaching out for help. As you said, it’s custom, he made it, and he should stand by it. When you plop down thousands of dollars, you expect it to be perfect. I guess I’m not cut out for the custom world. I like **** to work.

Problems aside, that is one awesome looking bike!

Bafflingbs (08-21-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 10:51 PM
Daddy454
Road Master
Received 316 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by sailmotion
Problems aside, that is one awesome looking bike!
Not much comfort for all his troubles,but I agree.....it does look pretty sweet.

Bafflingbs (08-21-2018)

Quick Reply: Avoid VooDoo Bikeworks!