General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Never thought I would say this....

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 07:58 PM
soldierbot
POD Squad
Received 90,364 Likes on 23,284 Posts

Originally Posted by SBRob
See post#11...you're a day late and a dollar short.
ditto, what my esteemed colleague said above.

" Is ok...I slip too from time to time! LOL*"

Old 08-21-2018, 08:03 PM
jamala00
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5,220 Likes on 2,574 Posts

Originally Posted by MiniWolf
Fairings have been beat to death as well. It's a motorcycle, not a car with two wheels.
Depends on what you use your bike for. For what the wife and I do, I'd never be without my car on two wheels... I think many do... Seems 7 out of 10 bikes I pass around here are Ultra's...

Old 08-21-2018, 11:11 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
....I would ride RICE before I rode an '019 Softail.
Yes; Dickey actually said it.
With the exception of the Heritage, Slim & RoadKing, the Yammie RoadStar,Valkyrie,V-Max and a couple others blow the new HDs right out of the water in the looks department.

Way to go,Mo FO co! You're officially a riceburner company now!
Dickey, these models aren't made for the likes of you and me. The MoCo has to move towards the future. I like my 18' M8 SGS as well as my 07' TC Dyna. I would own an old panhead Duo Glide if I could work on it. Do the new Softails look a bit metric? Yeah, I can see it, yet, the bikes perform and handle much better. That's a trade-off I think I can live with. There's plenty of old Harley's for sale that can satisfy us old timers. This reminds me when the Jeep CJ crowd hated the YJ because it was full injected and had square headlights. Yeah, I used to own a YJ. It would run when the CJ's wouldn't. To each his own.

The following users liked this post:
SVT-RapTor (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 02:12 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,165 Likes on 6,216 Posts

Originally Posted by Cygnusx51
Quoted for posterity.
Or in dickie's case, posterior.

Originally Posted by Tony P
Dickey, these models aren't made for the likes of you and me. The MoCo has to move towards the future. I like my 18' M8 SGS as well as my 07' TC Dyna. I would own an old panhead Duo Glide if I could work on it. Do the new Softails look a bit metric? Yeah, I can see it, yet, the bikes perform and handle much better. That's a trade-off I think I can live with. There's plenty of old Harley's for sale that can satisfy us old timers. This reminds me when the Jeep CJ crowd hated the YJ because it was full injected and had square headlights. Yeah, I used to own a YJ. It would run when the CJ's wouldn't. To each his own.
I am on my second JKU. I miss the relative simplicity of my YJ.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 08-31-2018 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Multiple posts
Old 08-22-2018, 04:04 AM
Dehammer
Elite HDF Member
Received 2,667 Likes on 1,348 Posts

Originally Posted by keith_stepp
I've never been a fan of the Softail. When they ended the Dyna's, it was basically taking 1/3 of their lineup off the table for me. I like the Sportster and the Glides. Nothing in between now that appeals to me. I would also never own another HD knock off.
I'm still pissed they killed the FXR. The Dyna never excited me.

I bought my Softail in the moment when the deal fell into my lap. It's a great looking machine. The Twin Cam doesn't excite me. It would be the first to go.

My Road King is a grown up FXR. Between these two bikes all my riding needs are covered.

The new bikes have zero appeal to me. More complex. Starting to look like die cast toys. I'd rather fix up an older machine.

mitchxout (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 01:38 PM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,205 Posts

Dickie - if someone is handing you keys for a Bob or a Vulcan to ride and keep, theres no way your riding a Vulcan.

Old 08-22-2018, 03:01 PM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 672 Likes on 372 Posts

I like some of the new HDs and I don't like some of the new HDs. I think that making the gas tank on some of the Softails only 3.6 gallons was a terrible idea. I don't like spokes. I don't like the weird looking headlights on some of the Softails. But these are minor issues excepting the small fuel tank.

My Road King is about the perfect bike *for me.* Old school styling, great bag setup, big headlights, 6 gallon tank, mag wheels and not spokes. Others have other preferences and it would appear to me that HD has at least one bike that ought to appeal to everyone. I don't expect all of their bikes to be versions of the RK, which is about my perfect bike.

upStomp (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 03:07 PM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,591 Likes on 9,809 Posts

Ill say 'Id rather ride low mileage used H-D " than a 2019... before I say "Rice"

Old 08-22-2018, 03:15 PM
upStomp
Advanced
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Redlegvzv
I like some of the new HDs and I don't like some of the new HDs. I think that making the gas tank on some of the Softails only 3.6 gallons was a terrible idea. I don't like spokes. I don't like the weird looking headlights on some of the Softails. But these are minor issues excepting the small fuel tank.
I agree on all points. If I was to buy a '19 next year, it would probably be a Low Rider, which is exactly the same as it was in '18 aside from some paint choices. Lackluster? Sure. But it ticks most of those boxes for me and would be the easiest and cheapest to make perfect for what I would use it for.

Last edited by upStomp; 08-22-2018 at 03:17 PM.
ole_phart (08-22-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 03:26 PM
ThePaintPirate
Club Member
Received 1,497 Likes on 786 Posts

I wasn't around during those times, but I'm sure people were screaming "HD is dead to me now that the new #### is out!" since the days of yore. The Hummers, Topper scooters, ect, whenever the company tries something new the keyboard critics come out of the woodwork.

Front half of the bike is neat in my opinion, back half not so much. I hope they sell the crap out of them.

Quick Reply: Never thought I would say this....