General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The wife who won't ride

Old 08-24-2018, 04:01 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorado Mac
I am lucky because I have the perfect riding wife. She likes to take a day trip with me, usually on a beautiful weekend day, when some couples are all riding together. But, she isn't interested in riding with me every time I go, so that leaves plenty of guys-only rides. And, she has absolutely no interest in multi-day rides, but will fly to Vegas and meet me there when I do my yearly two day ride with a group.
My new wife is much like that, and that suits me right down to the ground. She is definitely a fair weather rider. It has to be between 65 and 85 degrees. Any colder or any hotter....no go. That means pretty much spring and autumn. Winters are too cold, summers, too hot. Single day rides only, unless we're going to the coast. (3hours southwest of my house). Then we have to make a weekend out of it. She has friends that live in Morro Bay, so that means I have to figure on spending time there, and sitting around their house listening to them yammer on and on about how great it is to live there. "Yeah, this is it. We pretty much do nothing all day, with a great view..."

Used to be, I could hop on the bike and ride the lesser used (twisty and turny) roads, get some fish tacos for lunch and ride back. The only way I can get away with that anymore is not tell her where I'm going. After the last couple of trips out there, I'll do exactly that.

The following users liked this post:
Cbyway (09-04-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 04:03 PM
DaddyFlip
Cruiser
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by adm
Me too. It's great. She's happy I like riding, just doesn't like it herself.

She also has no interest in stopping me from riding and no worries about how much I ride. I can take off on the bike for anywhere from a day to two weeks at at a time if I like.
This is me too. She has no interest in riding but wishes I would ride MORE, complaining I tinker on my bikes more than I ride - but that's part of the fun for me. Even though she won't ride, she wants me to get a big touring bike, but I like cruisers and sport bikes. I can go whenever I want. She likes ATV riding with her friends; I outgrew that a decade ago, but I make sure her 'wheeler is decked out and ready to go when she wants it. Probably get her a side x side pretty soon... to go along with my next tinker toy! We have other together stuff we like to do, so it all works out.

Cbyway (09-04-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 04:11 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,524 Likes on 3,777 Posts

You got the best of both worlds. Buy it for her. Then when she tells you she is not crazy enough to ride it much less get on the back, tell her you will need to drive it so it does not lockup.
I sure would not ride on the back of one of these.

Cbyway (09-04-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 04:13 PM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

Two things you should never do with a wife: Ride a motorcycle and play golf. It will ruin what could be a good time.
If she does decide to ride with you, she'll eventually want one of those fugly dressers with a fairing and tour pak.
If she plays golf with you, you're into playing 6 hour rounds, or at the other extreme, her kicking your *** & giving you strokes to keep a match competitive.
Oh, & don't buy a motorcycle because of a color. You'll pay too much, get sick of it and want to trade every year. Which is a good reason to like black bikes.

Cbyway (09-04-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 04:14 PM
Sierra Nate
Road Master
Received 642 Likes on 260 Posts

My wife likes dirt bikes but she won't get on my street bike. She says its the other guy that scares her.

Cbyway (09-04-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 05:17 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,719 Likes on 6,883 Posts

I have a couple of friends that have wives who do not ride. I hate it for all in that position. My wife and I have always enjoyed boating, Jeeping, snow skiing and now biking together.

I am really blessed. My wife cannot physically ride by herself. Primarily due to arthritus but she LOVES to ride. It was actually her that encouraged me to start riding again back in 2008. She is also the one that has been behind our last two bike upgrades. She is the absolute best passenger you could have and if the bike starts she wants to be on it. And that is 99% of the time except when I do my annual winter Florida ride with buddies.

Her one day record is 660 miles and our longest trip together over six days is 3350 miles. Wednesday before last we both took off work and left at 7am. We had breakfast in Tennessee, lunch in Kentucky and dinner in Virginia. We did 557 miles and five states (NC, TN, KY, VA, WV) and were back home at 8pm. She had a BLAST and is still talking about it.

She packed us up last night and we are leaving at 7am tomorrow morning for an overnight trip with some friends. She will want to help me wash the bike tonight and check it over.

Yes I am a very lucky "BLESSED" man.

The following 11 users liked this post by Cosmic Razorback:
Cbyway (09-04-2018), DeafUltra (08-27-2018), GalvTexGuy (08-24-2018), mctraveler (08-24-2018), MTBIG G (08-25-2018), PPearl (08-29-2018), ronaldrwl (08-24-2018), snipit (08-25-2018), wideglideCVO (08-27-2018), wsmallri (08-26-2018), Zedbra (08-24-2018) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-24-2018, 07:23 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,373 Likes on 2,948 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Cbyway
... as I have stated before I ride solo 100% of the time.
Nothing wrong with riding solo.

If there was a way to get my wife involved in riding I would be at the dealership right now cutting a deal on a Twisted Cherry, RG Ultra. I know it would be a comfortable choice for her. She refuses to even go for a ride around the block at this point.
Do you REALLY want her to ride with you? If you do, then prove it to her. Enroll her in the "Rider's Academy" along with yourself. This shows 2 things~
1. That you are serious about her well being, and

2.That you are serious about YOUR safety.

Don't "ask" her if she'd like to attend professional instruction, JUST DO IT.

All of you who have a wife who will ride with you, count your blessings. I don't push her or nag her to go she simply isn't interested. Mainly because she is so devoted to our kids who are grown and our grandkids both of which are younger than eight. Maybe she will come around but hasn't moved on the idea in years.
If she takes the class, she will discover strategies to mitigate the risk to an acceptable level. (Damn, I'm good...)
Anyway, this should reduce her fears.
Your only problem is you may have to go shopping for 2 bikes...

Cbyway (09-04-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 08:08 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,941 Likes on 2,163 Posts

My wife and I first started dating in 1974. In 1975, I bought a Honda CB500T off a Navy buddy that was getting transferred to sea duty. Being that was my only transportation because I was broke, we rode that bike everywhere. After we got married in 1976, we started raising a family, so she quit riding. I haven’t been able to get her on a bike since. I thought when I bought my first touring bike in 2015 that she would get interested again, but she’s afraid she might fall trying to get off. So, that was that. Afterwards, I made the bike solo only for a few years until recently when I put it back to stock. I’m hoping that would peak her interest, but so far it hasn’t. Oh, well...

Cbyway (09-04-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 09:14 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

went back to riding in 08 and the wife started riding with me in 09. 3 bikes later and several big trips were still going strong. just had our first grandbaby so it may slow down a bit. but were going for a breakfast ride in the morning and then to the
NICU at the hospital to visit the baby. And yes he is doing fine just a premee.

Cbyway (09-04-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 09:56 PM
SG_Jim
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

My wife has no interest in riding with me or on her own. Both of my bikes are set up with solo seats and no passenger pegs. She knows I enjoy riding and is always supportive if I decide to head out. I enjoy my time alone and I enjoy coming home. No complaints here.

Cbyway (09-04-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The wife who won't ride