General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The wife who won't ride

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 11:38 AM
Cbyway
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 467 Posts
Default The wife who won't ride

I keep going back to look at the new lineup. The more I look the more some of the color options grow on me. I have really taken a shine to the Road Glide Ultra in Twisted Cherry.

I am not a big fan of fairings, stereos or navigation options. This is why the Road King is my favorite bike. However, as I have stated before I ride solo 100% of the time.

If there was a way to get my wife involved in riding I would be at the dealership right now cutting a deal on a Twisted Cherry, RG Ultra. I know it would be a comfortable choice for her. She refuses to even go for a ride around the block at this point.

All of you who have a wife who will ride with you, count your blessings. I don't push her or nag her to go she simply isn't interested. Mainly because she is so devoted to our kids who are grown and our grandkids both of which are younger than eight. Maybe she will come around but hasn't moved on the idea in years.

Top Answer

08-24-2018, 05:17 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,746 Likes on 6,893 Posts

I have a couple of friends that have wives who do not ride. I hate it for all in that position. My wife and I have always enjoyed boating, Jeeping, snow skiing and now biking together.

I am really blessed. My wife cannot physically ride by herself. Primarily due to arthritus but she LOVES to ride. It was actually her that encouraged me to start riding again back in 2008. She is also the one that has been behind our last two bike upgrades. She is the absolute best passenger you could have and if the bike starts she wants to be on it. And that is 99% of the time except when I do my annual winter Florida ride with buddies.

Her one day record is 660 miles and our longest trip together over six days is 3350 miles. Wednesday before last we both took off work and left at 7am. We had breakfast in Tennessee, lunch in Kentucky and dinner in Virginia. We did 557 miles and five states (NC, TN, KY, VA, WV) and were back home at 8pm. She had a BLAST and is still talking about it.

She packed us up last night and we are leaving at 7am tomorrow morning for an overnight trip with some friends. She will want to help me wash the bike tonight and check it over.

Yes I am a very lucky "BLESSED" man.

Old 08-24-2018, 12:03 PM
Colorado Mac
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 359 Likes on 276 Posts

I am lucky because I have the perfect riding wife. She likes to take a day trip with me, usually on a beautiful weekend day, when some couples are all riding together. But, she isn't interested in riding with me every time I go, so that leaves plenty of guys-only rides. And, she has absolutely no interest in multi-day rides, but will fly to Vegas and meet me there when I do my yearly two day ride with a group.

The following users liked this post:
Cbyway (09-04-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 12:08 PM
ronaldrwl
Road Warrior
Received 342 Likes on 229 Posts

If that's your wife in the avatar you got nothing to complain about!

Cbyway (09-04-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 12:12 PM
Frostbite
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,415 Likes on 1,544 Posts

Maybe she's scared of two wheels. Find a place that rents a Triglide and see how that goes. After my wife had a stroke she was terrified of two wheels, even though she rode before without a problem. I put her on the trike and she was a happy lady...

Cbyway (09-04-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 12:13 PM
artsbest
Tourer
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

I don't have a wife. Single and most happy. But my woman friend thought nothing of motorcycles. She just bought a new Goldwing. To ride along my BMW K 1600 GT or about to be "juiced" 2018 HD FatBoy. We trailer to great rides. Just got back from GNP. We luckily were ahead of the closings there due to fires.

Cbyway (09-04-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 12:14 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,187 Likes on 2,454 Posts

Originally Posted by Cbyway
I keep going back to look at the new lineup. The more I look the more some of the color options grow on me. I have really taken a shine to the Road Glide Ultra in Twisted Cherry.

and there it is. i had remarked in another thread how it goes every year. the new bikes are released, everyone says 'yuck, pooey', and then people start to turn around and before you know it, someone's invented sliced bread. you're the first i've seen this year.....

as far as the wife riding, i'm blessed in that my wife rides her own. and she loves to take road trips. but she also doesn't mind if i want to go off on my own. though, when i do that, it's usually just a ride over to the next town or something small. i've not wanted to do a long ride without her. some wives like it, others don't. it isn't for everyone. if she doesn't want to ride (and who can blame her in houston?), make sure you've got other things that you can do together.

Cbyway (09-04-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 12:18 PM
Prof Rene
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,463 Likes on 1,209 Posts

My wife has her own bike and loves to ride. I never pushed her to ride, instead she pushed me to get her a bike.

Cbyway (09-04-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 12:20 PM
r-bar-j
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,048 Likes on 1,948 Posts

For my birthday in 2016 I bought a new Limited. My wife HATES me riding, will not even get on to see how it feels, HATES the bike, and just barely walkes past it in the garage.

Cbyway (09-04-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 01:08 PM
eglide_vt
Cruiser
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

My wife rode with me the first few years we were together. Then her ex-husband’s older brother was killed on a bike. Hasn’t been for a ride since (10 years).

Cbyway (09-04-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 01:20 PM
Craigny
Road Master
Received 379 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Cbyway

I am not a big fan of fairings, stereos or navigation options. This is why the Road King is my favorite bike. However, as I have stated before I ride solo 100% of the time.

If there was a way to get my wife involved in riding I would be at the dealership right now cutting a deal on a Twisted Cherry, RG Ultra. I know it would be a comfortable choice for her. She refuses to even go for a ride around the block at this point.

All of you who have a wife who will ride with you, count your blessings. I don't push her or nag her to go she simply isn't interested. Mainly because she is so devoted to our kids who are grown and our grandkids both of which are younger than eight. Maybe she will come around but hasn't moved on the idea in years.
My wife used to get on the back when we first got hitched (coming up on 18 years this weekend!)......I was away from riding for several years (that sucked!!), had two kids, upon getting back into riding she has never gotten back on the bike for the same exact reasons...like you I never push but she's made up her mind and I don't think she'll budge. She tells me she even wishes sometimes that I would stop but would never insist....It would be great to enjoy it with her but I totally get why she has no interest...I don't think i'll ever stop until i'm physically unable to ride or in the ground!

Last edited by Craigny; 08-24-2018 at 01:24 PM.
Cbyway (09-04-2018)

Quick Reply: The wife who won't ride