General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's talk PIPES!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 07:50 AM
rookie06
Cruiser
Received 758 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Let's talk PIPES!!

Just purchased new CVO Limited. It obviously sounds horrible as all new Harleys do. Who all has a 2019 and what pipes did you go with? I had a 2014 Limited and had Rineharts with Stage 1 on it and loved them and the sound. Wondering if I can get away with just slip ons or if I should go with Stage 1 as well.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:46 AM
Walter White
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 44,415 Likes on 16,302 Posts

Congrats on the new bike.

I am fascinated that someone would pay out over $40K for a new bike when it "sounds horrible" and then spend even more to fix it. I have to hand it to HD marketing to get folks to do this.

What other companies can get folks to not only pay a premium price for what the buyer feels has inferior qualities and then sell them the services to fix it? Jeep with the Wrangler is the only one I can think off. Buy the best off roader available and immediately change the suspension and wheels.to fix it.

The following users liked this post:
Circa58 (09-18-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 08:57 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,906 Likes on 3,285 Posts

And..... Could have bought a RGS or SGS and put $10k in it and have a bike twice as fast, twice as loud and twice as fun to ride... Maybe it didn't have those fancy hand warmer grips but holy **** Batman. I'd never give the moco $40k for a bike that still needs, Bars, cables, cam, lifters, pushrods and of course pipes.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:05 AM
Labrador
Road Master
Received 503 Likes on 260 Posts

I think that the new bikes sound much better than the previous generation. But I guess to each his own.

As per the OP's question, Stage 1 is made up of the air filter, exhaust and fuel management. I did the slip-ons on my bike (2014) and it ran like crap until I got a fuel management unit (V&H FP3) for it, then it ran better than new.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:07 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,139 Likes on 6,210 Posts

Jealous much? Bunch of negative nancies.

To the OP,

Since it is a CVO it already has a high flow air cleaner.

The mufflers are different than regular mufflers but are not the same as street cannons. Some people people prefer the CVO mufflers to other.

The M8 is more sensitive to exhaust changes than previous engines and as a result an exhaust change can have a big impact on horsepower and torque. This could be an improvement or it could means a loss of power.

A lot of people say that Rhineharts on an M8 don't sound as good as they do on a twin cam.

West end motor sports has a lot of good comparison videos on you tube.

Have a look and listen at the S&S MK45.

The catalytic converter is what is really holding back the sound though.

One more thing. If you get a tuner, the only one that will not void the warranty is the one from Harley.

Oh, post pictures please.

Last edited by Prot; 09-10-2018 at 09:08 AM.
rookie06 (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 09:14 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,906 Likes on 3,285 Posts

Jealous? gotta be kidding. If he was showing off his new SOCATA TBM-700 or 900 I'd be jealous.

No, I've been around long enough to know the dealership and the damn moco has new buyers tricked from day one, they pay this huge amount of coin to supposedly have all this stuff you'd buy after buying a blank slate when in fact it's the opposite. It's the Stage 1-4 game and it's been going on for decades. We've all played it.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:15 AM
AFDynaRider
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Walter White
Congrats on the new bike.

I am fascinated that someone would pay out over $40K for a new bike when it "sounds horrible" and then spend even more to fix it. I have to hand it to HD marketing to get folks to do this.

What other companies can get folks to not only pay a premium price for what the buyer feels has inferior qualities and then sell them the services to fix it? Jeep with the Wrangler is the only one I can think off. Buy the best off roader available and immediately change the suspension and wheels.to fix it.
The EPA has more to do with harleys not sounding good from the factory than marketing. Harley is not allowed to sell new bikes that are loud. Most people prefer their harley to be louder than is allowed by the EPA, myself included. All Harley can do is do the best they can while still complying with EPA standards. Harley could, and should, however lower their prices a bit. But that's not because of the exhaust systems they install on their bikes.

The following 2 users liked this post by AFDynaRider:
Bluesrider.df (09-11-2018), rookie06 (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 09:15 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,139 Likes on 6,210 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldskewl
Jealous? gotta be kidding. If he was showing off his new SOCATA TBM-700 or 900 I'd be jealous.

No, I've been around long enough to know the dealership and the damn moco has new buyers tricked from day one, they pay this huge amount of coin to supposedly have all this stuff you'd buy after buying a blank slate when in fact it's the opposite. It's the Stage 1-4 game and it's been going on for decades. We've all played it.
Change your tampon.

The man is enjoying his bike he paid for with his own money

The following 8 users liked this post by Prot:
17VelRedSGS (09-11-2018), badfish0024 (09-14-2018), Bluesrider.df (09-11-2018), Fullbore55 (09-11-2018), iamcmf99 (09-12-2018), mike in dallas (09-14-2018), RollaMo (09-11-2018), rookie06 (09-10-2018) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-10-2018, 10:08 AM
Mark Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

I've been looking at adjustable cans for my Breakout. You can go from loud to quiet at the flick of a switch. I'm tempted with the cans from MCJ because they're a fair bit cheaper than other maufacturers, but still don't come cheap. I like the look, Cult Werk have been using them on their custom Breakouts. And best of all, they're road legal, so they don't mess up your warranty. I don't know if they're available for the touring line, but they do have options for most of the new Softails.

rookie06 (09-10-2018)
Old 09-10-2018, 10:59 AM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

Are you not happy because of the tone of the exhaust or because it’s not ear splitting? There is quality and then there is quantity. If you are after tone quality, listen to YouTube samples to get an idea. If you want a noise maker just to put out more noise, you will have to get rid of the cat or get new headers because it won’t matter what muffler you put on. Sound will be very restricted. But gutting the cats or putting on new headers without cats will absolutely void your powertrain warranty. You will basically have a very expensive bike without a warranty.

Quick Reply: Let's talk PIPES!!