General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A bump in the Blue Ridge Parkway, a Harley crash. Rider is suing for $1.7 million.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 11:04 PM
ajnigli
Tourer
Received 102 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by F150HD
read details of that lawsuit....if I recall, the coffee was unbelievably overly hot. Interesting read.
Yes, read the lawsuit details. The coffee was 180-190 degrees Fahrenheit which had burned 700 people prior to the incident and the purpose of the lawsuit was to get McDonalds to right a wrong. The spilled coffee to the plaintiffs nether region caused 3rd degree burns that required surgeries to correct. Below are links to the details.

https://www.tortmuseum.org/liebeck-v-mcdonalds/
https://www.caoc.org/?pg=facts

Regarding the incident of the rider crashing due to a bump in the road, yes it is conceivable that the actor who manages the road would be responsible for injuries that are a direct result of the condition of the road. In my town, a coworker broke their car due to a pot hole in the road. Since the city did not post signs indicating there was a pot hole, the city paid for the vehicle repairs. As stated in the rider's lawsuit, "Federal Highway Administration guidelines say warning signs should be at least 100 feet ahead of any roadway impediment to give drivers time to adjust". If this is true and the sign was only 25 feet away, there is some negligence on the part of the highway department. Is it for the tune of $1.7 million dollars, probably not but if his facts are true, he'll get some money out of it.

The following users liked this post:
rick601 (09-13-2018)
Old 09-12-2018, 11:17 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Labrador
Interesting post. Next thing you know people will be suing for tar snakes, no railings on the Tail of the Dragon, potholes, slippery road markings, no "Deer Crossing" signs, etc.

When will people take responsibility for their own actions and mistakes?
The damn deer never pay any attention to those signs anyway.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:39 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,254 Likes on 11,139 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
They should put the deer crossings in areas where it’s easier to see them. Definitely not in a blind turn.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:48 PM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 822 Likes on 478 Posts

how do you flip a Harley over a road bump ?

nytryder (09-14-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 04:04 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 456 Likes on 356 Posts

I am one of those that believe you should take responsibilities for your own actions as a result it is up to you when driving/riding to navigate and be aware of potential hazards on the road. However with that said according to the article it appears the highway admin guidelines state they must place warning signs at least 100' ahead of a roadway impediment if this one was only 25' ahead then he could get some $$ due to their error

Old 09-13-2018, 04:28 AM
Cazador
Received 3,323 Likes on 1,853 Posts

Originally Posted by not_so_newb
I think that he probably hit the bump and then went off road where he flipped.
That's my guess. I didn't read the article.
I wonder if the guy was speeding.

Old 09-13-2018, 04:41 AM
iamcmf99
Tourer
Received 180 Likes on 111 Posts

Hell, I have ben riding Pa. roads most of my adult life, and bumps in the road, orange cone season, potholes are a way of life here. You have to be able to anticipate and acclimate to the road conditions. I think the guy that wrecked was probably going a little faster than he should and slammed the front brake, which might have flipped the bike when he hit the bump.We will never know.

AJSHOVEL (09-13-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 04:55 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Originally Posted by not_so_newb
like this:

not_so_newb (09-13-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 05:18 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,997 Likes on 2,815 Posts

Every motorcycle should come with a non removable tag that says:
WARNING. The Surgeon General has determined that motorcycle riding is hazardous to your health and can cause serious injury or death.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:10 AM
Strugatsio
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
You know those deer signs you see from time to time? After three accidents involving deer, one North Dakota woman wants them moved.

Under the impression the signs are intended to tell deer where it’s safe to cross, she embarked on a (failed) mission to get the signs moved to lower-traffic areas. She wrote letters, called television stations, but no one seemed to want to hear what she had to say. Finally, she turned to Y94 Playhouse Radio in Fargo. They listened (and laughed) and then posted her call on YouTube.

The caller, named Donna, admitted she struck three deer on three separate occasions “shortly after I saw a deer crossing sign on the highway.”

The caller questioned why Minnesota and North Dakota departments of transportation would allow deer crossings to be on busy roads.

“Why are we encouraging deer to cross at the interstate? I don’t get it. That’s a high- traffic area,” she said.

By now the radio hosts were trying to muffle their laughter. But if the caller heard them, it didn’t register. She continued…

“I understand that deer are animals and they need to cross the streets occasionally to survive and, of course, to find food, but it seems to me that it’s so irresponsible of us to allow these deer crossings to be in areas where these deer are so likely to be struck by oncoming traffic.”

At this point the radio hosts have lost the battle to keep their laughter under wraps. But, still, the caller proceeded to explain her concern…

“You’d think they’d put deer crossings in smaller towns like at a school crossing — that would be a safer place for them to cross,” she said.

Finally one of the hosts tried to explain the true purpose of deer crossing signs.

“You know deer crossings aren’t telling deer that it’s safe to cross there, it’s just more of like an alert for drivers so they know it’s like a high-deer population,” he said.

And then the caller said the unthinkable.

“They can direct the deer population anywhere they want to by moving that deer crossing sign. Why in the world would they place it on the highway? Or the interstate?”
https://fox4kc.com/2012/10/18/woman-...ts-them-moved/

The following 2 users liked this post by Strugatsio:
cacomly (09-13-2018), Papa G (09-14-2018)

Quick Reply: A bump in the Blue Ridge Parkway, a Harley crash. Rider is suing for $1.7 million.