General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A bump in the Blue Ridge Parkway, a Harley crash. Rider is suing for $1.7 million.

Old 09-14-2018, 06:59 AM
Gas Smasher
Road Captain

Received 647 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by wolverinehusky
Are lawsuits and contingency plaintiff lawyers a regional thing?

I practice in the PNW (Washington), and I've never seen a lawyer advertisement on a billboard, bus, mass transit, etc. You just don't see them.

But I travel throughout the country, and whenever I head to Vegas and just a few weeks ago Atlanta (and many other states), there are personal injury lawyer advertisements everywhere! It is nuts. The radio is playing "Get Paid! Get Paid Call [insert lawyer name here]". It is just weird. Strip club advertisements and lawyer advertisements on gigantic billboards whenever I leave Washington. Just don't quite get it. It is sad.

And as for lawyers being a problem, I just have to mention behind every lawyer is a non-lawyer who is trying to get some $$ because he/she doesn't know how to earn it the right way. I'm not a litigator (but my firm has them), and half the time we're trying to talk people who live month to month to quit trying to sue everyone for their issues/problems. Large trust accounts usually weed them out thankfully.
Interesting you say that. I was just in Seattle last week and didn't notice any lawyer billboards, but can't say I was looking for them. However, they were all over in Denver and all over the radio when I was there last month. I see some of that in west Texas, but driving over around Dallas and other bigger cities I notice more highway billboards with personal injury lawyers plastered on them. There was some wack lawyer calling himself "The Texas Hammer" on the TV every commercial when I had the TV on in the motel over in Dallas a couple months ago. I was in Wyoming a year or so ago and there was a local lawyer there who had a add on the radio pretty often that mentioned personal injury along with bankruptcy and divorce and other services. Didn't seem unusual.

I'll have to start paying more attention to that now. I don't know why, but it does make me curious about it I guess.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:02 AM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,709 Likes on 5,857 Posts

Originally Posted by wolverinehusky
Are lawsuits and contingency plaintiff lawyers a regional thing?

I practice in the PNW (Washington), and I've never seen a lawyer advertisement on a billboard, bus, mass transit, etc. You just don't see them.

But I travel throughout the country, and whenever I head to Vegas and just a few weeks ago Atlanta (and many other states), there are personal injury lawyer advertisements everywhere! It is nuts. The radio is playing "Get Paid! Get Paid Call [insert lawyer name here]". It is just weird. Strip club advertisements and lawyer advertisements on gigantic billboards whenever I leave Washington. Just don't quite get it. It is sad.

And as for lawyers being a problem, I just have to mention behind every lawyer is a non-lawyer who is trying to get some $$ because he/she doesn't know how to earn it the right way. I'm not a litigator (but my firm has them), and half the time we're trying to talk people who live month to month to quit trying to sue everyone for their issues/problems. Large trust accounts usually weed them out thankfully.
Originally Posted by Gas Smasher
Interesting you say that. I was just in Seattle last week and didn't notice any lawyer billboards, but can't say I was looking for them. However, they were all over in Denver and all over the radio when I was there last month. I see some of that in west Texas, but driving over around Dallas and other bigger cities I notice more highway billboards with personal injury lawyers plastered on them. There was some wack lawyer calling himself "The Texas Hammer" on the TV every commercial when I had the TV on in the motel over in Dallas a couple months ago. I was in Wyoming a year or so ago and there was a local lawyer there who had a add on the radio pretty often that mentioned personal injury along with bankruptcy and divorce and other services. Didn't seem unusual.

I'll have to start paying more attention to that now. I don't know why, but it does make me curious about it I guess.
https://www.lawtigers.com/

Old 09-14-2018, 08:51 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 943 Posts

That sign and that "bump" have been there for at least 20 years. The road has been repaved there at least three times in that period. It is less than a bump IMO, and more like a gentle speed control device (as opposed to the abrupt kind usually found in parking lots). I wonder if it is a result of a natural feature under the road, or an intentional slow down device?

One thing is for certain, at various times the BRP can feature broken pavement, potholes, fallen rocks, sand, gravel and oil in various degrees. Mostly without a warning sign.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:14 AM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
That sign and that "bump" have been there for at least 20 years. The road has been repaved there at least three times in that period. It is less than a bump IMO, and more like a gentle speed control device (as opposed to the abrupt kind usually found in parking lots). I wonder if it is a result of a natural feature under the road, or an intentional slow down device?

One thing is for certain, at various times the BRP roads in general can feature broken pavement, potholes, fallen rocks, sand, gravel and oil in various degrees. Mostly without a warning sign.
Fixed it for you. As far as I'm concerned, telling me the bump is there is better then letting me be surprised. Put me on that jury and let's see how far that lawsuit goes.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:54 AM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by donk_316
The story shouldn't be the bump, it should be that an American is being charged $500,000 for a hospital visit! Holy **** you guys get your society in order.
I don't dispute that our medical services are a premium, but that was multiple visits to the hospital and doctors.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:33 PM
motohaid
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer

They should put the deer crossings in areas where it’s easier to see them. Definitely not in a blind turn.
Or build bridges so they can cross safely.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:41 PM
alex369
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by F150HD
read details of that lawsuit....if I recall, the coffee was unbelievably overly hot. Interesting read.
And all these years I thought coffee was supposed to be hot ........if only I would have stayed in school

Old 09-14-2018, 08:42 PM
motohaid
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
How far down the hole have we gotten that someone is suing over a bump in the road? If this bozo gets 1.7 million, can you imagine what Lewis and Clark should have got?
Huh???

Originally Posted by donk_316
The story shouldn't be the bump, it should be that an American is being charged $500,000 for a hospital visit! Holy **** you guys get your society in order.
So the Gov'ment pays his hospital bill or the Gov'ment pays his lawsuit. Sounds like you think they should pay his medical bills thru socialized medicine.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 09-22-2018 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Multiple posts
Old 09-14-2018, 10:02 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by alex369

And all these years I thought coffee was supposed to be hot ........if only I would have stayed in school
why are you even posting to me?

Old 09-15-2018, 01:16 AM
alex369
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by F150HD
why are you even posting to me?
You suggested the lawsuit was an interesting read , I understand now why you would have thought that .