General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is pulling a fifth wheel toy hauler ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 12:16 PM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 4,752 Likes on 2,317 Posts

Originally Posted by TroubleHead Fred
I found this article about how chevy gets some of it's numbers. general motors sued over misrepresentation ...GM Authority. com
The guy suing, though, was pulling a load ALMOST at MAX weight anyway. WHY would you get a truck that is SO close to the MAX limit? Seems like a frivolous suit to me, where someone is just trying to "make a buck" for themselves, instead of taking "responsibility" of their own problem by getting too small and weak a truck in the first place. If I'm going to be getting a truck to tow something, I'm going to be SURE that it can tow at LEAST 1.5-2Xs the total capacity of that weight. This guy is about as smart as someone who buys a "race" engine, and then runs it within less than 1k of redline all the time, and then wants to sue the car maker when it blows up.

However, this article has also made me rethink which truck and RV/toy hauler combo I should get, since I don't want to get too close to max towing capacity and end up with troubles. With the new standards being in place on the newer models, though, the numbers SHOULD be more accurate and true to "reality".

Old 09-19-2018, 02:44 PM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,159 Posts

Originally Posted by ABQ-Jammer
The guy suing, though, was pulling a load ALMOST at MAX weight anyway. WHY would you get a truck that is SO close to the MAX limit? Seems like a frivolous suit to me, where someone is just trying to "make a buck" for themselves, instead of taking "responsibility" of their own problem by getting too small and weak a truck in the first place. If I'm going to be getting a truck to tow something, I'm going to be SURE that it can tow at LEAST 1.5-2Xs the total capacity of that weight. This guy is about as smart as someone who buys a "race" engine, and then runs it within less than 1k of redline all the time, and then wants to sue the car maker when it blows up.

However, this article has also made me rethink which truck and RV/toy hauler combo I should get, since I don't want to get too close to max towing capacity and end up with troubles. With the new standards being in place on the newer models, though, the numbers SHOULD be more accurate and true to "reality".
I think not pushing the limits is a good idea. It isn't that they won't pull the load, it's just the unexpected stops with too small of a truck that will get someone hurt or worse.

The following users liked this post:
ABQ-Jammer (09-20-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 03:25 PM
hlib76
Intermediate
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jshopes
gm and chevy trucks are the same. Thats not to say there isnt a difference in how the trucks are equipped (axle ratios, tow package, ?) But the trucks are mechanically identical.
You also have to really be aware of the small print when viewing some of those specifications. 4WD, short bed/long bed, and axle ratios will all factor into towing capacity, and most of those manufacturers always say "when properly equipped". Such as, 2WD can tow a slightly higher amount than 4WD (the difference is usually only a few hundred lbs...but it adds up).

One thing I noticed when helping my colleague shop for a new truck this past January, is that the GMC has different "standard" features compared to the Chevy, even when equipped with the "same" package name, such as the Max Tow package. The axle ratios between Chevy and GMC were different.

I ended up upgrading trucks this year as well, due to the fact that we often tow our 5200lb dry weight 28ft travel trailer into the mountains. I had a 2015 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3 (4x4, no max tow package, short bed crew cab). Max tow rating of 9900lbs as equipped. While it towed great in the flats, the minute we started heading into the very start of the foothills, it sucked. We'd be screaming along at 4k RPM. Got tired of that, so went out and bought myself a 3500 SRW Duramax. Overkill? Maybe. But now we tow in comfort. Now we're toying with the idea to upgrade to around a 30-32 5th wheel.

A lot of your choice will depend greatly on the type of terrain that you will often travel. I probably would have kept the 1500 if we stayed out of the mountains.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:47 AM
rjacobs
Tourer
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

I would suggest watching this video when thinking about "tow ratings" of all the new trucks.
​​​​​

They had to lower the weight of their test trailer so the Chevy wouldnt exceed its tow rating... This weight was FAR FAR lower than the Ford or Dodge "rated" max tow rating which were both well over 20k lbs, which should have shown them to FAR FAR exceed the Chevy in the testing, however that wasnt the case... I would be interested to see the Ford or Dodge on that same run right up at their max "tow rating" and see how they do, my guess is the results would be abysmal at best and catastrophic at worse...

After seeing that video I am more comfortable with the tow rating on my GMC and it actually being able to handle that load. I dont know that I would be as comfortable in a Ford or Dodge up at much much higher weights seeing how they handled a weight that was well below their max. I guess the phrase "ignorance is bliss" probably applies here though since I am sure a lot of buyers dont do a ton of research, they just see that "28k lb max tow" rating and roll on...even though in reality its pretty sketchy.

ABQ-Jammer (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 12:55 PM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by hlib76
You also have to really be aware of the small print when viewing some of those specifications. 4WD, short bed/long bed, and axle ratios will all factor into towing capacity, and most of those manufacturers always say "when properly equipped". Such as, 2WD can tow a slightly higher amount than 4WD (the difference is usually only a few hundred lbs...but it adds up).

One thing I noticed when helping my colleague shop for a new truck this past January, is that the GMC has different "standard" features compared to the Chevy, even when equipped with the "same" package name, such as the Max Tow package. The axle ratios between Chevy and GMC were different.

I ended up upgrading trucks this year as well, due to the fact that we often tow our 5200lb dry weight 28ft travel trailer into the mountains. I had a 2015 Silverado 1500 with the 5.3 (4x4, no max tow package, short bed crew cab). Max tow rating of 9900lbs as equipped. While it towed great in the flats, the minute we started heading into the very start of the foothills, it sucked. We'd be screaming along at 4k RPM. Got tired of that, so went out and bought myself a 3500 SRW Duramax. Overkill? Maybe. But now we tow in comfort. Now we're toying with the idea to upgrade to around a 30-32 5th wheel.

A lot of your choice will depend greatly on the type of terrain that you will often travel. I probably would have kept the 1500 if we stayed out of the mountains.
Did you trade in the 1500?

Old 09-20-2018, 02:52 PM
hlib76
Intermediate
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ABQ-Jammer
Did you trade in the 1500?
I did. It only had 25k miles on it, and was still under warranty. I generally don't bother private selling my vehicles anymore, even though I can get more for them..(I garage keep, and maintain them pristine inside, outside and mechanically)...I tried listing the 1500 privately, but because I'm a girl and... well, lots of wierdos kept coming out of the woodwork. I'll take a monetary loss over putting my safety in jeopardy.

ABQ-Jammer (09-21-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 03:48 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Wish you were ready now. I have a nice one for sale.
Who is pulling a fifth wheel toy hauler ?-photo776.jpgWho is pulling a fifth wheel toy hauler ?-photo673.jpg

Old 09-20-2018, 06:18 PM
FatboysFatboy96
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32,873 Likes on 7,720 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
Attachment 595659Attachment 595660
What model is it?
What does it weight?
I'm looking around for a 5th wheel toy hauler but it can't be over 12klbs.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:39 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by FatboysFatboy96
What model is it?
What does it weight?
I'm looking around for a 5th wheel toy hauler but it can't be over 12klbs.
It's a 2012 Heartland RoadWarrior.
https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2012-...rw-305-tr12639

Old 09-21-2018, 10:35 AM
ABQ-Jammer
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by SBates08
Attachment 595659Attachment 595660
I do too. That looks really nice!