General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is pulling a fifth wheel toy hauler ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 05:11 PM
Backforty
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,696 Likes on 1,866 Posts
Default Who is pulling a fifth wheel toy hauler ?

This is my plan : new diesel pick-up this year, then the toy hauler sometime after I retire in a year or so. I’m thinking a double axel toy hauler 38’ ish because I want it to fit most places. I’m seriously considering a dually rear wheel truck for a better ride and safety while touring the country.
Can anyone weigh in with their experience in traveling in this manner?

mods if this isn’t the right place to post, feel free to move.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:48 PM
FatboysFatboy96
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32,873 Likes on 7,720 Posts

https://www.thormotorcoach.com/outlaw-class-a/
Are you dead set on a 5th wheel? My folks have been traveling the country with a Thor Outlaw motorhome hauling their HD trike and towing a Jeep. They love the layout and its ease to get in almost any place including my driveway. I believe the cost will be about the same as buying a dually and 5th wheel.

Last edited by FatboysFatboy96; 09-13-2018 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:12 PM
Jshopes
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,187 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by FatboysFatboy96
https://www.thormotorcoach.com/outlaw-class-a/
Are you dead set on a 5th wheel? My folks have been traveling the country with a Thor Outlaw motorhome hauling their HD trike and towing a Jeep. They love the layout and its ease to get in almost any place including my driveway. I believe the cost will be about the same as buying a dually and 5th wheel.
depends on what you buy. a nice motorhome will way outprice a toyhauler and truck. i think at that weight range i would be looking more towards a dually than a single wheel but i think depending on how you load it and how much you carry youd be right around the cutoff. if you have a single wheel id use it, if you have to buy a truck id buy a dually. and not a dodge.

oh, i can give you better info if you could give a few toyhaulers your looking at with weights. im assuming at 38ft youd be around 17k gvw for the hauler.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 09-28-2018 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Multiple posts
Old 09-13-2018, 06:34 PM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,181 Likes on 1,959 Posts

We have a good 3ft 5ver toyhauler. No slideouts. Master is seperate. Back 2/3 of trailer is open. When bikes are out, we have lots of space for guests. Easily take another couple and not be too tight. And no slideouts that will cause issues.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:39 PM
pbsdaddy
Extreme HDF Member

Received 5,381 Likes on 2,486 Posts

So, you are looking at a 1 ton dually and a 38 ft trailer. Your total cost, over a couple of years is going to be a minimum of $120,000, reaching toward $180,000, depending upon how you equip each part of the unit. Having been through the toyhauler thing, I can offer this: 1. stay around 32 feet. It doesn't seem like much difference, but in tight spaces and heavy traffic, 6 feet can be a world of difference. 2. If you plan to spend a lot of time, in the trailer, equip it with everything you want or need. And don't forget to ensure you have lots of storage. 3. Slides make a huge difference in living space, (they also add to cost and weight). At least have a slide in the main living area. 4. Outdoor entertainment/kitchens are very useful, as is the "patio" options for the rear ramp. They increase usable space, when parked, without increasing size. 5. probably most important, shop, shop, shop. There are huge mark-ups in RV's do searches for dealers in neighboring states. Find a unit you are really interested in, then enter the brand and model in your search. You may find as much as $20,000 difference in price, for the same unit.
Another thought. For the same $120,000, you can buy a nice 30, (or so) feet Class C, pull you bike on a trailer and still have enough left over to buy a nice small pickup, if you need one.

The following 2 users liked this post by pbsdaddy:
ABQ-Jammer (09-14-2018), FastHarley (09-19-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 06:52 PM
Sierra Nate
Road Master
Received 642 Likes on 260 Posts

Love my 5th wheel toy hauler. Love being able to disconnect and have a vehicle to cruise around in. Mine is 33 feet long and has room for me, my wife and 3 kids along with 2 grandkids. Disadvantages...gas milage is horrible. I get close to 7 mpg if I keep it under 70 MPH. I'm hoping to take the rig to Sturgis next year. But that's going to be a very expensive trip.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:58 PM
FatboysFatboy96
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32,873 Likes on 7,720 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra Nate

Love my 5th wheel toy hauler. Love being able to disconnect and have a vehicle to cruise around in. Mine is 33 feet long and has room for me, my wife and 3 kids along with 2 grandkids. Disadvantages...gas milage is horrible. I get close to 7 mpg if I keep it under 70 MPH. I'm hoping to take the rig to Sturgis next year. But that's going to be a very expensive trip.
After owning a Motorhome (460 Ford) and towing a bumper pull trailer (Ford 6.0 Diesel) 7 mpg is about the going rate to get down the road. As mentioned in a previous post my folks Thor Motorhome (Ford V10) gets the same.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:03 PM
Backforty
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,696 Likes on 1,866 Posts

More information from me : I’m not in a big hurry for the toy hauler, I may be retired in a year but my wife wants to work longer . I need a new truck now as my current 3/4 ton diesel is a 2004 and it’s time for a new one. I need a truck to pull my boat and snowmobile trailer. * I have a chev, I want a Cummins.

Old 09-13-2018, 08:01 PM
Rude dog
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadKing 2014
More information from me : I’m not in a big hurry for the toy hauler, I may be retired in a year but my wife wants to work longer . I need a new truck now as my current 3/4 ton diesel is a 2004 and it’s time for a new one. I need a truck to pull my boat and snowmobile trailer. * I have a chev, I want a Cummins.
I've had all of them, bumper pull trailers, 5th wheel toy trailers and a motorhome with an enclosed (boxed) trailer been RV'n for 25 years. Currently have motorhome, enclosed trailer and a bumper pull toy trailer. Pro's and cons to all. Drive a motorhome pull a trailer with just bikes, no transportation then for anything but fair weather, unless your okay riding in the rain. Don't like rain, bigger trailer that fits small car & bikes, but bigger fuel tank, so less stops. A 5th wheel toy trailer gets the bikes there and allows mobility via the truck. Down side no bathroom no kitchen: must pullover for either. It really comes down to what your going to use it for? Easyist maybe truck and toy trailer. Only ever going to haul a bike, or 2, get a toy trailer with a garage (walled off) area as it separates toys and smells from living area. Just going to do pavement driving and parks and no off road... motorhome... ? On and on.. based on your usage.. Buying good gently used stuff, best value, hassles getting a personal loan, New, easiest to put you in a loan (Typically higher costs) ...

Last edited by Rude dog; 09-13-2018 at 08:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ABQ-Jammer (09-14-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 09:14 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

Yep! Pulling a 2015 38’ dual axle Fuzion with a dually Ram 3500. My SRW Ram pulled it well, the dually pulls it better. Hit me up when you’re ready to buy the RV, I have a new one on my mind!

The following users liked this post:
ABQ-Jammer (09-14-2018)

Quick Reply: Who is pulling a fifth wheel toy hauler ?