Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   ABS VS non ABS (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1253344-abs-vs-non-abs.html)

Cossack84 09-13-2018 08:42 PM

ABS VS non ABS

Life saving technology

TroubleHead Fred 09-13-2018 09:42 PM

Well, he just grabbed both brakes and locked them up. Most people wouldn't do that. I have no doubt ABS will out-brake non-abs but it is a complication that will never be on one of my bikes.

XRX 09-14-2018 04:20 AM

Yes, ABS is amazing.

I was skeptical at first. My new motorcycle came with programmable Race ABS (it works even at full lean) with RLM (Rear wheel Lift Mitigation) amongst it's suite of electronic rider aids. I was tempted to just turn it off, but I didn't. I rode it with the ABS on the "normal" setting for a while, but more recently I've been trying it on the "race" setting, which has a higher threshold before ABS intervention. It really is clever- I'm sold on it now.

Kingglide549 09-14-2018 04:47 AM

I hardly think that was "fair and balanced" or objective..

jz78817 09-14-2018 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by TroubleHead Fred (Post 17680935)
Well, he just grabbed both brakes and locked them up. Most people wouldn't do that.

uh huh.. sure.

firehawk6 09-14-2018 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by TroubleHead Fred (Post 17680935)
Well, he just grabbed both brakes and locked them up. Most people wouldn't do that. I have no doubt ABS will out-brake non-abs but it is a complication that will never be on one of my bikes.

:icon_that:

sharkey 09-14-2018 04:58 AM

This is a subject that has been discussed ad nauseam...
My take is, at 64 years old with 50 years riding, I'm sure side by side a green rider on the same bike with ABS could out brake me. I couldn't care less.
I'm confident I can out brake the Griswold's in their mini van any day on my non-ABS bike. A stopping distance of one foot from 30 mph means I WILL get run over from behind.
Safer? Maybe in some circumstances...but the more tech in charge of my ride, the less I am.
I've never been terrified to ride in the rain and will continue to do so without electronic assistance. Technicians have already seized control of my carburation and ignition...
I don't mind being involved with the operation of my motorcycle; it's part of the sport for me.

Gas Smasher 09-14-2018 05:30 AM

Hard to argue that advances in technology are not improvements, but I don't feel at any real disadvantage not having ABS on my bikes. Definitely not enough to go get a new bike because it has them. If I do end up buying a new bike and it has them, fine, I'll take them. No doubt they have some advantages, but I like the way Sharkey put it "the more tech in charge of my ride, the less I am.". I agree with that. At some level I still want to be the one in control of the vehicle.

I grew up driving cars with drum brakes, bias ply tires, no air bags, manual transmissions, basic lap seat belts with no shoulder strap, (the pick-up I learned to drive in didn't have seat belts at all and had manual steering). Stuff like anti-lock brakes would have been science fiction if it ever was talked about. Somehow I lived through it just like the overwhelming majority people did. Been riding street motorcycles since 1979 and honestly can't think of a time when I think anti-lock brakes would have been a benefit. I have had them on my vehicles for years and can't think of a time that they did me any good. Maybe I am old school enough that I understand that you adjust your riding for conditions, pay attention to what is going on around you and avoid situations where you need to lock up the brakes. Could I find myself in one of those situations despite my precautions? Sure. Will anti-lock brakes save you from yourself in every situation? Hell no.

For me, nothing against them, but really don't care if I ever have them.

Daytona Fat Boy 09-14-2018 05:57 AM

I've had bikes with and without ABS. My current bike does not have it, and to be truthful, I wish it did have ABS. The fact this particular bike (it was bought used) did not have ABS was not a deal breaker for me. Part of the reason is ​​I'm not really sold on the "Reflex-Link" part of the system.

The video in this post could have showed the difference between the two bikes without the rider shifting his weight and turning the wheel on the non-ABS bike.

Gas Smasher 09-14-2018 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Daytona Fat Boy (Post 17681291)
.....................The video in this post could have showed the difference between the two bikes without the rider shifting his weight and turning the wheel on the non-ABS bike.

Agreed. I watched it several times and he does shift himself around before the bike starts getting squirrely.

Edit: Watching it more looks like the front tire cuts over about the same time he starts moving. Maybe to make the performance of the no ABS look worse, maybe not. Hard to say