General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Talk Me Out of the Low Rider S

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 09:48 AM
DM426
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 771 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by Walter White
I have the slim S, like it quite a bit. I'm 6ft, 260 with a 32" inseam. I do find myself riding farther back in the seat and have to keep scooting forward with the stock setup. I enjoy the curves and the foot boards can take a beating if you are really aggressive, I'm not anymore and still can corner well without scraping. I don't know if the low rider has the counter balanced 110 but it gets a bit buzzy at highway speeds, you really feel it in your hands. 65mph and below smooth. I add the windshield when heading out for the highway and can do some long trips but its nowhere as good for that as my previous road glide. I do mostly local short trips and the Slim S is great for that. Now that I'm spoiled with cruise control I won't go without it again. It also comes with ABS and security system standard. I've not had an issue with either of the 110s Ive owned other than they are nut roasters in traffic.

Try them all and get the one you want.

PS I came from sport bikes too. Now that I'm older this fits my need for fun with traditional looks but it's no sport bike.
Pretty much sums it up. It's a good bike, but not perfect.

First, it's no sport bike and people shouldn't expect it to be. That said, it would handle a hell of a lot better with Ohlins front and back and an inverted fork. It leans okay for what it is, but you'll run out of lean angle if you start riding aggressively in the twisties with the stock setup. The stock setup also doesn't handle bumps particularly well, so better suspension would be a big help in keeping the tire on the ground to make proper use of the power. Over 85mph it all starts to feel a bit sketchy.

The 110 is reasonably decent out of the box, but a good aftermarket exhaust is a must. Stage 3 or 4 would be much better. Being a Dyna, if you increase the power you start feeling the limitations of this frame design, and that also effects the handling.

Stock handlebars are not bad, yet a lot of people are dead set on replacing them with tall T-bars. But looks aside, all that does is accentuate the vibrations and make it feel twitchy.

Both of the ones I've ridden had heat issues. Here in Texas it gets HOT during the summer, and I experienced issues with the LRS wanting to shut down in traffic. I would want a stage 3 or 4 on it, but that would make the problem much worse.

Whoever came up with the idea of putting the tach on the tank should be beaten. Severely. This bike desperately cries out for some type of Mickey Mouse setup on the bars like the R9T, and a lot of people shell out some bucks to make that happen. Irritating that it doesn't come that way stock.

Comes with cruise control and dual front brakes, thank god.

For bigger guys the LRS can feel a little cramped. The seat is low and the controls are standard, so for tall guys like me it puts your knees up kind of high. It's okay for the most part, but it does get tiresome after a while. Would be less of an issue if the seat were higher.

Last edited by DM426; 09-19-2018 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-19-2018, 06:09 PM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

Sounds to me like you want a bagger. You'll ride the LR for maybe a year,and start looking for a real bike. ultra,RK, or Road Glide.

Old 09-21-2018, 03:10 AM
Prot
Club Member

Received 14,144 Likes on 6,211 Posts

Originally Posted by 09 YELLOWBIRD
I have to agree with "NoBodyKnowsMe". I do like the LRS.

BUT....Let me save you over $15K. If you want to ride more and longer, get a Touring bike.

Everyone eventually ends up on one!

YB
I have to disagree. A 900 pound cumbersome touring bike isn't my idea of fun, especially on local and semi local rides. I don't see a way to justify a touring a bike for one annual trip in which it would be suited for. Then I thought if I ever retire, it would be great just to live on the road, be in constant touring,and that is where a touring bike would be great. But no, because by the time I get to be that age a big heavy cumbersome bike is the last thing I would want at such an advanced age.

A touring bike as a week long rental is the only way I see myself on one, and then it would be questionable.

The following users liked this post:
nick@nite (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 09:23 AM
Dirty Harry
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 530 Posts

Talk you out of it ?? OK...DON'T BUY IT !!!! But.....when you do buy it ride it to the nearest sanitarium (sp) and check in because you will regret not buying a touring model for a long time. I've had Dynas but they don't come close to the comfort of a touring model.....there.... you asked for it !!!!! Proceed at your own risk !!! Good luck Pilgrim !!!

Old 09-21-2018, 09:49 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,084 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Ok Joe...did you make a decision?

Inquiring minds want to know................what kind of motorsicle are ya' gonna buy?

Old 09-22-2018, 09:54 AM
ktp1598
Road Captain
Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by moparnut72
I rode a 2018 Low Rider a couple of months ago. I like the looks of the bike a lot. I enjoyed the test ride for the most part but there was one thing I did not like. It and I both absolutely hated tar snake. In fact it was scary crossing them on a curving entrance ramp to the highway. I was hitting them at an angle. The bike was wiggling all over the place. I rode my Slim over them later for comparison purposes. My Slim hardly noticed they were there. Granted these snakes were quite pronounced but I wouldn't consider this model after the ride. As a disclaimer I will say that the bike was a demo or maybe even a shop bike as it had 3,000 miles on it with a Screaming Eagle exhaust. As already mentioned, find a dealer who will let you ride anything and ride everything you are interested in before you decide. Good luck.
kk
I ride a lot of back roads on mine with quite a few tar snakes and never noticed them. Maybe it had different tires on it? Or maybe the tar snakes around me aren't built up like yours. OP, ride some of the new softails along with a LRS. I had a LRS and while I loved it, the handling, power and other attributes of the '18 and up softails won me over. You do lose a bit of the old school cool on the new ones but you can modify it any way you want. Any choice is a good choice as long as you like it (after a good test ride).

Old 09-23-2018, 10:11 AM
moparnut72
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

I also wondered if the tires had been changed. I liked everything else about the bike. The transmission was smooth as silk as was the engine. They look great in white.
kk

Old 09-23-2018, 09:10 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

So what you decide on Joe?

The bike itself, if it works for you, there is nothing to regret about it. I get more compliments on that thing than is reasonable to expect. Heck, even today a guy on a Moto Guzzi stopped to talk to me to say how it was his favorite Harley and he believes it will become a collectible. Harley will make more new toys, some could be argued to be better as the years go by. But the LR-S is a charmer, it has an X-factor. There is just something about this bike, it's why it still gets talked about.

If it fits you, if it moves you when you ride, there isn't one thing about it that you'll regret. It's a great machine in more ways than one. If you ride it and go "eh", then find the one that makes you smile.