General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Talk Me Out of the Low Rider S

Old 09-16-2018, 12:32 PM
Joe Goodner
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I’ve done quite a bit of research and have narrowed my first Harley Davidson to the Low Rider S over the Fat Bob and Slim S. I’m 52 years old, 6’2” and weigh 210lbs. I enjoy the twisties but ride for the mind clearing enjoyment, sceanery, adventure and people. I have a short commute and plenty of canyons in Utah to ride. I’d like to be able to take longer trips but they will be rare (once a year). The look of the Low Rider S is bad *** but I haven’t been able to put miles on one so I’m looking for some experienced opinions.
What should I be looking at besides the bikes above?
What will I regret later about the Low Rider S?
Thanks in advance for your opinions.
If you’re a Low Rider S enthusiast please comment about year, mods, new/used, ...

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 09-16-2018 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:10 PM
Paintslinger16
Road Warrior
Received 1,430 Likes on 610 Posts

You want, therefore must buy, I think that’s Twain maybe Shakespeare.
I think you will enjoy that bike, don’t own have rode a buddy’s of mine though.

Old 09-16-2018, 01:22 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,203 Likes on 11,127 Posts

At your size, you might want to do an extensive test ride...

Old 09-16-2018, 02:28 PM
70copperz
Cruiser
Received 91 Likes on 39 Posts

I love mine, I went from a Fat Bob to the 16 LRS. It’s a rocket compared to the old FB! BTW I’m 6’5 and it fits me pretty good with forwards and extended risers.

The following users liked this post:
Joe Goodner (09-16-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 02:48 PM
Mark Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

I really wanted a LRS, but then Harley unleashed the M8 Softails.

ktp1598 (09-22-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 02:51 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

You may save yourself a lot of time and money if you ride it before you buy it...only you can answer the question, Impression and likes/dislikes are so subjective, I wouldn't base a purchase only on someone elses advice. And it doesn't matter how it feels sitting on the showroom floor. Once it starts moving, you might hate it. And this is not a statement about the Lowrider S. It is a statement about any bike.

Joe Goodner (09-16-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 02:54 PM
CaptainAwesome
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 139 Posts

I have about 9.500 miles on mine. 6', 250lbs (big not fat, lol). Came from a liter bike.
My bike has different grips (just for looks), currently a Lucky Dave seat so I can have a passenger and 2" handle bar risers. I am however looking to get the handle bars back to stock location as well as find a seat that's the same as stock but allows a passenger. Stock setup worked extremely well for me, I bought the seat for a passenger but it raised me up and I needed to raise the handle bars to be more comfortable after doing so. A lot of guys seem to like the thug look with these and get really tall bars, but there is just something about the original drag bar look and feel that fits me perfectly. Added an audible alarm. The key fab is very nice as I never have to take it out of my pocket (you can use a pin code too to start the bike without it)

The Lowrider S was the best thing I ever bought.

I've done a 3,000 mile trip on it, days with over 12 hours in the saddle (stock). The thing moves like cursive. It's not as nimble as a sports bike but you don't want it to be, I find the cursive feel to be more enjoyable. Pulls beautifully, cruise control is super awesome, and I get a lot of complements on it, especially while riding. I road several other Harleys and none of them really spoke to me. That 110 is a thing of beauty in it, plus you can turn it into a 117. Only thing I don't like about it is there aren't any good rain tires for Harleys, but that won't matter for me after this winter and has nothing to do with a FXDLS, just Harleys.

You're not going to find many people telling you to get something else, it's considered a modern classic by many.

Last edited by CaptainAwesome; 09-16-2018 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 03:00 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Don't buy it. How's that?

The following 2 users liked this post by IzzoQuazzo:
Dirty Harry (09-22-2018), SBRob (09-16-2018)
Old 09-16-2018, 03:08 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,177 Likes on 2,448 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainAwesome
Only thing I don't like about it is there aren't any good rain tires for Harleys, but that won't matter for me after this winter and has nothing to do with a FXDLS,
tires are debatable. but i gotta know, what's gonna happen this winter?

Old 09-16-2018, 03:09 PM
dpmerrill
Tourer
Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

I think the Lowrider S is one of the best looking cruisers Harley has ever put out. I've ridden a borrowed Lowrider, and only had two complaints.

1.) The right side foot peg is right behind both pipes. My brake foot was cooked. I wouldn't want to do more than an hour on that thing without highway pegs.

2.) The fairing looks awesome, and would be perfect for local trips and commuting. For longer days, I'd want a windshield.

The other bikes you mentioned put your feet further forward giving more leg room for taller guys and less heat on the brake foot. The Slim also looks good with an added windshield, so there's some things to think about.

Joe Goodner (09-16-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Talk Me Out of the Low Rider S