General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went on my first 'group ride' Sunday

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 04:53 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,408 Likes on 2,940 Posts

Originally Posted by Redoilokie
OP, I'd suggest you spend more time practicing "holding your line" while riding solo. It'll build your confidence, and in the unlikely event this group calls you back to ride, you'll be better prepared to lane share, should the need arise.
I've already explained my 'line' thru a corner, and I have no intention of changing it Wide right to set it up, and cut to the center thru the curve. Whether I ever do another group ride is up in the air, but no matter if I do or don't, I have no intention of sharing a lane thru a corner especially like what happened to me last Sunday, period. S**t happens I know but, I will not tolerate someone sneaking up on my right side, possibly screw up, and I end up being the one stuffed into the grill of the vehicle in the left lane. Some want to ride like that and are comfortable with it, great but I'm not.

In my 40+ years of riding I've learned some fairly important stuff IMO. One is, if you're riding staggered behind me and you can't see my face/faceshield in my mirror, I can't see you. Back off until you can and stay out of my blind spot. Much safer for both involved. Another is, NEVER crowd someone, ESPECIALLY in a corner. Too much can go wrong REAL quick... It's all rather elementary stuff we learned years ago during our sportbike days. Thankfully thru the skills we learned and the grace of God we are all still here.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:00 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,547 Likes on 3,057 Posts

I don't ride with other people...ever.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:10 PM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 36,875 Likes on 17,362 Posts

Originally Posted by firehawk6
,,. Thankfully thru the skills we learned and the grace of God we are all still here.
That and stayin' clear of those hard core biker types!

Old 09-19-2018, 05:49 PM
Cazador
Received 3,323 Likes on 1,853 Posts

I do 2 group rides. A wounded warriors ride and a Heal Our Patriots ride. I will always be tail end Charlie. I have seen all kinds of stoooopidity in group rides and the only place to be is the very last guy.

Old 09-19-2018, 06:57 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,345 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by sailmotion
Every group ride is one of these waiting to happen [jump to around 3:46 if you don't have any patience]:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU0IrS7jkew
Dangit, I thought for sure it was gonna be the guy with the Sportster and the German helmet!

Old 09-19-2018, 07:49 PM
Long lonesome highwayman
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,836 Likes on 2,363 Posts

Originally Posted by sailmotion
Every group ride is one of these waiting to happen [jump to around 3:46 if you don't have any patience]:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU0IrS7jkew
Geez, what the heck caused that? Did he not notice the person in front of him slowing down and incorrectly braked?

Old 09-19-2018, 08:38 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,550 Posts

Originally Posted by firehawk6
I've already explained my 'line' thru a corner, and I have no intention of changing it Wide right to set it up, and cut to the center thru the curve.

In my 40+ years of riding I've learned some fairly important stuff IMO
Ever corner to the right? I guess on a winding road you're all over the place.

Where's a good Counter-steering diagram when you need one?

Old 09-19-2018, 08:50 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,919 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Originally Posted by MiniWolf
Also, I wonder if that guy would have flipped if he had ABS. Or would he have hit the guy in front? My guess is he would have escaped the catastrophe seen in the video. He clearly stomped the rear and probably grabbed a handful in the front as well. Then he let the brakes go and did a high-side aerial when the rear re-engaged traction. A lot of lessons to be learned from this video and it makes for good safety discussion. We all can get complacent and its always good to stop and consider what types of things we do that might get us intro trouble. Videos like this also make you want to not neglect practice braking practice. We can all end up in this situation if we get too complacent or over-confident.
Originally Posted by victory11
The accordion effect at the bridge caused the whole problem. Whenever people slow down, they want to get on it coming out of the corner. A lot of guys want the onlookers to be awed when they let the pipes rip. People are already bunching up and the speeder is just getting going. I've seen it with 700 bikes and I've seen it on much smaller rides. I'd rather take a stick in the eye than ride with a group knowing there are some show off throttle jockeys.
Sorta like this one, several more vids like this out there, all European too.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:12 PM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Sorta like this one, several more vids like this out there, all European too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItpKdYAZ44E

Lucky a few stopped to assist. Crash videos I have seen from Asia, other riders usually just keep going or will get off the bike and walk it around the person and bike lying in the road, then get back on and ride off.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:04 PM
vaham
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts

The first crash clip was from Rolling Thunder, I rode it several years and never saw a crash. Six years since my last one and 1600 miles away, I see this..... go figure.

Anybody that goes on a group ride and expects to round a corner by driving deep, cutting tight to the inside, then powering out wide needs his head examined.

Last edited by vaham; 09-19-2018 at 10:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Went on my first 'group ride' Sunday