General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went on my first 'group ride' Sunday

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 09:11 PM
vaham
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneBone
Somehow he pissed them off and they came after us. We had to flee for our lives..
If her rode like the OP, It was probably his group riding skills.

Old 09-22-2018, 12:05 AM
Ursadorable
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I've done group rides, and solo rides. I by far prefer solo, or with one other person. Solo I can take my time, engage with the scenery if I want or just get to where I want to go.

If riding with one other person, I can at least still see the road in front of me an maintain more situational awareness.

Group rides I find more stressful. There's the fact that you have to rely upon others to identify road hazards such as debris, idiot drivers, etc. and watch your *** to be sure the guy behind you is not on your rear tire, or beside you blocking an escape in an emergency.

What can I say, I have trust issues.. especially with people I don't know.

Old 09-22-2018, 11:22 AM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,574 Likes on 9,799 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneBone
I pushed my cuz down the road in Oklahoma for about 6 or 7 miles when he ran out of gas. Around '89 maybe? He held on to my sissy bar till we got going, then I leaned way the hell out and grabbed his sissy bar, and stomp shifted without my clutch and pushed him along. Didn't go very fast, but got him to the station.

Memorable because there was a group of Outlaws there, and he knew a gal with them. Somehow he pissed them off and they came after us. We had to flee for our lives..
That sounds like fun...

Old 09-22-2018, 11:25 AM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,709 Likes on 5,857 Posts

Originally Posted by 71on72

I knew a guy who belonged to Teamster and drove a Subaru. But he lived in California not IN.
Couldn’t be the same guy!
How many could there be? Male Teamsters that drive Subarus, I mean.

The following users liked this post:
71on72 (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 01:51 PM
ScottinAZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 14,193 Likes on 5,537 Posts

Just got home from an enjoyable group ride. Did AZ88 past Canyon Lake to Tortilla Flat. No issues with staggered formation up to the foothills, then single file through the twistys to the destination. Pre-ride briefing covered hand signals, and everyone was on board with their position in the formation. Just like every other form of close in movement, coordination is the key, along with a certain degree of trust that the others there are skilled enough to perform. the more you do it, the more comfortable you get with finding an "out" regardless of what others do.

Old 09-22-2018, 01:59 PM
Pantera99
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,105 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottinAZ
Just got home from an enjoyable group ride. Did AZ88 past Canyon Lake to Tortilla Flat. No issues with staggered formation up to the foothills, then single file through the twistys to the destination. Pre-ride briefing covered hand signals, and everyone was on board with their position in the formation. Just like every other form of close in movement, coordination is the key, along with a certain degree of trust that the others there are skilled enough to perform. the more you do it, the more comfortable you get with finding an "out" regardless of what others do.
have they improved the road out to Canyon Lake? Love that ride but the last time I did it the road was so rough it wasnt enjoyable. Been several years since Ive been out there. Ride around Saguaro Lake more often.

Old 09-22-2018, 02:16 PM
ScottinAZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 14,193 Likes on 5,537 Posts

Originally Posted by Pantera99
have they improved the road out to Canyon Lake? Love that ride but the last time I did it the road was so rough it wasnt enjoyable. Been several years since Ive been out there. Ride around Saguaro Lake more often.
Completely repaved from town out past Tortilla Flat. Did it earlier this year (April I think). LOTS of motorcycles at the Flat today

Old 09-25-2018, 09:23 AM
Frank3101
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by firehawk6
As I have stated. Left hand, right hand, in a group or solo it's all the same. In a corner, I own the whole lane.

From the looks of your diagram, you want the entire road...not just your lane. Better not try that where I ride, or you'll end up eventually meeting the person in the Ford F350 who actually does own the road in that situation.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:31 AM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 36,875 Likes on 17,362 Posts

Frank, while we agree with your assessment you're about 177 posts too late. We are well into the derision phase of this thread.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:31 AM
Frank3101
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MiniWolf
When on a HOG group ride, they have special hand signals. One finger means single file to Burger King at the next exit. Two fingers means Dairy Queen spotted, speed up in tight formation ASAP.
That's not what my special one finger signal means LOL

Quick Reply: Went on my first 'group ride' Sunday