General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went on my first 'group ride' Sunday

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 09:38 AM
Frank3101
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by OKMICK
Frank, while we agree with your assessment you're about 177 posts too late. We are well into the derision phase of this thread.
Sorry...I've been out of town for a few days and didn't have the patience to read all 177 of them.

Old 09-25-2018, 09:39 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,782 Likes on 18,559 Posts

Please be specific with the "One Finger" salute ... We wouldn't want anyone's feelings hurt :>)

Old 09-25-2018, 09:50 AM
Dirty Harry
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 530 Posts

"It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood" !!

Last edited by Dirty Harry; 09-25-2018 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:32 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by firehawk6
Hooked up with some people my son knows Sunday morning and has ridden with before, all seemed to be decent people on touring bikes, no hard core biker types. My son and I were the only riders on Sportsters.

Only a couple of 'problems', first we turned off onto a county road than made a quick sharp left and then a quick sharp right. A guy behind me kept crowding me seeming to want to ride side by side. I had to make it clear in curves, I OWN the whole lane and I'm not going to have you try to ride beside me especially in my blind spot. Apparently he got the message as he didn't try that again. Second time was we were turning left off a state road and a guy in a pickup headed the other way stopped to let us all turn. A car blew around him on the right side, luckily no one was turning at that time. Another guy and his wife who was behind me then, and when it became my time to turn I paused to make sure no one was coming from the right side of the truck, didn't want to get t-boned... The woman on the bike starts screaming TURN, TURN God damn it. THAT pissed me off as I thought to myself, I will turn when I feel safe to do so. Cool your jets %$#@*...

All in all, had a good time I guess, nice sweeping curvy roads and beautiful weather. I might do another group ride but I seem to prefer to ride either with just my son, a couple of close friends, or just by myself.
yup, we all come to that conclusion at some point.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:13 PM
wolverinehusky
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,185 Likes on 2,254 Posts

I also went on my first "group ride" on my way to my first bike rally (Anacortes Oyster Run). I'm a complete noob (riding my first touring bike that I picked up a few months ago).

It went well. My main riding buddy was with me and he looked out for me and motioned me to get to a certain spot if he felt I was not where I should be, which helped. Honestly, my riding buddy, who is awesome, stresses me out more than anything, as he's pretty hard core and is looking to race, show off, etc. from time to time and he wants me to keep up. If he feels like someone is challenging him he'll get moving pretty fast, which is kinda annoying but oh well.

Rode staggered the whole time, biker in first lane would stop traffic on certain intersections, and people used hand signals (a number of hand on head taps for LE ahead which was interesting ha ha).

I went in kinda nervous but came out with a positive experience.

Just my noob observations.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:18 PM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,709 Likes on 5,857 Posts

Originally Posted by wolverinehusky
I also went on my first "group ride" on my way to my first bike rally (Anacortes Oyster Run). I'm a complete noob (riding my first touring bike that I picked up a few months ago).

It went well. My main riding buddy was with me and he looked out for me and motioned me to get to a certain spot if he felt I was not where I should be, which helped. Honestly, my riding buddy, who is awesome, stresses me out more than anything, as he's pretty hard core and is looking to race, show off, etc. from time to time and he wants me to keep up. If he feels like someone is challenging him he'll get moving pretty fast, which is kinda annoying but oh well.

Rode staggered the whole time, biker in first lane would stop traffic on certain intersections, and people used hand signals (a number of hand on head taps for LE ahead which was interesting ha ha).

I went in kinda nervous but came out with a positive experience.

Just my noob observations.
I respect your buddy for taking you under his wing, so to speak, but you apparently know your limitations. That's the important thing. Do not ride beyond your comfort zone. Just don't do it. If he can't deal with that, let him ride on ahead and you find your own way.

Old 09-25-2018, 01:45 PM
wolverinehusky
Grand HDF Member
Received 6,185 Likes on 2,254 Posts

Originally Posted by Redoilokie
I respect your buddy for taking you under his wing, so to speak, but you apparently know your limitations. That's the important thing. Do not ride beyond your comfort zone. Just don't do it. If he can't deal with that, let him ride on ahead and you find your own way.
Yea, I've learned that riding with a buddy who will look out for you is pretty important for a new rider.

My main riding partner knows my limitations, but he gets antsy as he's old school. He's an older cat who is close to 15 years older than me and has 40+ years of riding experience. He basically lets me know if I'm in over my head (he would not take me to a rally until he felt I could handle it).

He's been annoyed with me at times as I may say, "nah, prefer not to do it" but generally he just pushes me to get better. He's taken me to parking lots for drills and such. Honestly, he didn't really have a dedicated riding partner for awhile so I think he's just ecstatic that I got a bike lol so he doesn't have to ride alone.

When he speeds off at a light because he feels the need to show off or wants to challenge another rider, I just let him go. He'll grumble a little but he has a short memory and takes it all in stride.

Old 09-25-2018, 02:14 PM
major105bc
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,252 Likes on 1,550 Posts

Originally Posted by firehawk6
My intention was to bring up the rear, but the two bikes just kept hanging back, so I ended up being in front of them. As far as 'group etiquette' goes, I figured anyone would know not to bunch up in a corner. Kind of a 'duh' thing IMO. I ride close to the centerline/left tire track normally, move to the edge setting up for a corner and then cut back to the inside of the lane thru the corner. As I said, I own the WHOLE lane there.

After those two episodes things went smoothly. We hit some nice smooth sweeping curvy roads and everyone went single file then. Other than those two times, it was a fairly enjoyable 180 miles.
Group rides only suck when people like you are in the group. You don't have the skills, knowledge or etiquette to do a group ride. You should not ride in a group until you get more experienced. I've seen people like you in more group rides than I care to remember. I'm not saying this to put you down. We all had to put miles under our belts to gain experience. You're no exception. Ride often, ride safe. One day you'll be able to handle a group ride.

Old 09-25-2018, 03:06 PM
71on72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,298 Likes on 8,533 Posts

Group Ride Indonesia style