General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the patches all about?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 06:55 AM
OKMICK
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 36,875 Likes on 17,362 Posts

Originally Posted by Redoilokie
There's no deep analysis here. Just a troll trying to stir the pot. Strangely enough, someone here always rises to the bait.
Yep, perhaps we can all jump over to his 'Motorcycle Wave' thread while we await his next missive.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:59 AM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,709 Likes on 5,857 Posts

Originally Posted by OKMICK
Yep, perhaps we can all jump over to his 'Motorcycle Wave' thread while we await his next missive.
No...I think I'm going to skip that one altogether and go straight to the countersteer thread.

Let me see, financing, countersteering, waving, riding in the rain, patches, brand new account and crx is missing...Confirmed. He's a troll.

The following users liked this post:
SPRINGER (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 07:25 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,930 Likes on 8,435 Posts

Originally Posted by kap1
^^Not sure if I past the test but I served with c 1/9 3rd Mar Div in RVN when I was 18--had orders when 17. I rode a shovel head for 3yrs--no car. I don't wear any patches. Never did. And I really don't care if folks wear patches, if it makes them happy then let them go for it. The deep analysis of all this escapes me, however.
C 1/9 Walking Dead. Semper Fi.

Kingglide549 (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 07:28 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingglide549
Most of Today's riders have not ever been tested in any way, unless you consider a video game a test.
I passed my road test. I also was tested when some jackass waited, and waited, and waited to pull out from a side street until I was right there and then he decided to go. I passed because I was able to maneuver myself out of the way before he ran me over. Send me a patch!

Old 09-20-2018, 07:30 AM
181fsc
Tourer
Received 158 Likes on 63 Posts

To me it's just a momento of where I've been. Little reminder and when folks ask, you get to tell the stories. I'm putting all the state's on the back of my bluejean vest and like while at Sturgis, the couple that owned the campground game me a Sturgis patch. I think of them every time I look at it. Great folks.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:31 AM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

^^Not sure if I past the test but I served with c 1/9 3rd Mar Div in RVN when I was 18--had orders when 17. I rode a shovel head for 3yrs--no car. I don't wear any patches. Never did. And I really don't care if folks wear patches, if it makes them happy then let them go for it. The deep analysis of all this escapes me, however.
I was just explaining the patch history, and how it all came about.
The comparison of now and then is pretty dramatic.
With a push of a button to start it, EFI, roadside assistance, paved roads ...
They were some very adaptive dudes back then.The WW2 people generation were the greatest.
AS I have said B4, when these guys got back from the war, seeing JAPANESE imports a few years later, did not ring a bell of happiness for them, why would it?
It is a no-brainer as to why the Jap bikes were hated
Yes, these people hung out together in some various fashions, and motorcycles struck a common cord with some well-deserved patches.

I have no test for anyone.
Just a history lesson here.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:44 AM
beanoboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 814 Likes on 498 Posts

Originally Posted by OldRegulator
I've seen several threads discussing patches, Broken Wings, Pikes Peak, etc...

They seem to represent accomplishments (or incidents) on a motorcycle?

What is their history? Do you have to belong to a club or is it an individual thing?

What are the patches all about?
You must be a new rider huh ?...b.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:48 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Welcome home Marine.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:06 AM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

Originally Posted by Cygnusx51

I passed my road test. I also was tested when some jackass waited, and waited, and waited to pull out from a side street until I was right there and then he decided to go. I passed because I was able to maneuver myself out of the way before he ran me over. Send me a patch!
Be ready for a lot more of those kinds of tests.-everyday on the road they will try to kill you and try to make it look like an accident.
But truly that was not the kind of trst I was talking about.
MOST have no clue about WW2 , the rationing programs state side etc etc.
It was a big freekin deal.
In the Military or nopt, most everyone served in some capacity doing something for the war effort.
The greatest generation ever!

Old 09-20-2018, 10:19 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,220 Likes on 4,770 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingglide549
Be ready for a lot more of those kinds of tests.-everyday on the road they will try to kill you and try to make it look like an accident.
But truly that was not the kind of trst I was talking about.
MOST have no clue about WW2 , the rationing programs state side etc etc.
It was a big freekin deal.
In the Military or nopt, most everyone served in some capacity doing something for the war effort.
The greatest generation ever!
Just last week I got into a conversation with a woman. She was a young girl in Michigan during the war. She told me her father was unable to enlist due to a medical condition and got himself elected as the Sheriff where they lived. She said that as Sheriff, he was in charge of the ration books and anytime a guy came back from the war, her dad would make sure they would get extra ration coupons.

Kingglide549 (09-20-2018)

Quick Reply: What are the patches all about?