General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Gear - Some Helpful Information before Winter

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 03:45 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,722 Likes on 6,886 Posts
Default Heated Gear - Some Helpful Information before Winter

My daily travels carry me to many industrial plants. Today I was in Kernersville, NC looking for a company that is in an old industrial facility that is now an incubator for many small business. Much to my surprise one of the businesses had "GERBING" and Heated Clothing on the door so I had to stop in an check it out.

Turns out to be a retail outlet and a REPAIR facility for Gerbing and all heated gear. I learned that the Gerbing Manufacturing facility that moved to NC back in 2011 is now closed, the company has been sold twice and all manufacturing is now offshore.

The guy I spoke with was very interesting and VERY knowledgeable. He was actually the 2nd non-family employee to be hired on by George Gerbing back in the day. He really knows this stuff, does design work and repairs.

I was really impressed with how much lighter the new jacket liners are than the 10 year old one I have. Another cool feature is the "BLUETOOTH" controls that will maintain a constant set temperature. He told me he could update my gear with the Bluetooth!

I told him that my pants and jacket liner have lasted well and no issues, but I have had to replace the gloves because they just did not get hot enough after awhile. He laughed and said he has heard this a lot and explained what is happening. The wires in the gloves are positioned to be in close contact to your skin. After a few years of use they move and get farther embedded with the insulation away from the skin. They are just as hot, you just cannot feel it as well. There is NO fix for this.

Anyway wanted to share this data on Gerbing and let you know if you need repairs or updates they can help you.

Heated Clothing HCrx

HeatedclothingRX

Toll Free 877-248-3080 Local 336-904-9432

customerservice@heatedclothingrx.com

heatedclothingRX.com

Stay Warm My Friends!

Last edited by Cosmic Razorback; 09-19-2018 at 03:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cosmic Razorback:
attaboy15 (09-21-2018), mctraveler (09-19-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 04:10 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default George Gerbing ?

The man who founded the company was named Gordon and passed away some months back. Gordon started producing heated gear again before his death and all of it is made in the US now, The group that bought the original company from Gordon, are the ones that started the off shore production. It final failed because the products were not good nor guaranteed.
Check out Gordon's legacy company... All heat wiring are guaranteed for life and they made really good products.
The Bluetooth thing must be for a wireless controller.

www.gordonsheated.com

Old 09-19-2018, 04:15 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 601 Likes on 324 Posts

When I moved from Florida to Tennessee Gerbing heated gear was my first purchase many moons ago, it let's me ride year around and fits well .. Great product .

Last edited by Captain Itch; 09-19-2018 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:04 AM
adm
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,459 Likes on 1,406 Posts

If you want heated clothing, check out the "Warm & Safe" brand before you buy anything else. I have their jacket liner and glove liners and they are excellent.

The glove liners are a thin silk like material and make sure that heating elements are always right next to your skin. This solves the gloves problem that the OP wrote about above - which I have also experienced with my Gerbing heated gloves.

The jacket liner is a snug fit - again to keep the heating elements right against the skin. The liner has multiple heating panels for arms, chest, back and neck. Works great.

The best bit though is their wireless controller. I have this mounted to my bars in the winter and it has two nice big ***** to turn to independently adjust the heat of the gloves and jacket. Perfect!

Old 09-20-2018, 04:10 AM
kap1
Road Captain
Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

Thanks for the info. Plus 10 on the bluetooth controllers. So much easier to set up access-one wire to jacket and controller can go anywhere. The memory function is nice, too, when you unplug for gas or such. I am considering the WS shirt gizmo.

Old 09-20-2018, 04:38 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,656 Likes on 6,424 Posts

I have been to the old facility as well as the one mentioned numerous times and had that guy work on my stuff numerous times. Can't place his name right now but it is different, as in not your average Joe. Riding year round is something I have appreciated a long time but doing so in comfort is a huge bonus!!!

Old 09-20-2018, 04:44 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,907 Likes on 3,015 Posts

I wonder if I can get 12 volt glove batteries through him? They're hard to find and when you do, they're overseas England) and can't be shipped as a stand alone
only with gloves.

Old 09-20-2018, 05:07 AM
1pkraft
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the "new" Gerbing products back to the lifetime warranty? Reason I ask is that I had to send my jacket liner back a couple of years ago and was told that when the company was sold the new owners discontinued the lifetime warranty. Guy I spoke with said all registered owners were sent an email or letter advising of the sale and new policy. Jacket repair was quoted at $75.

I told him I have several registered Gerbing products between me and my wife and never got any notice. Would up talking to a guy named Tex who said he was the president of the company. He lowered the quoted repair price and provided a letter with an additional 1 year warranty on the repair.

Old 09-20-2018, 05:08 AM
bpav16
Road Master
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by adm
If you want heated clothing, check out the "Warm & Safe" brand before you buy anything else. I have their jacket liner and glove liners and they are excellent.

The glove liners are a thin silk like material and make sure that heating elements are always right next to your skin. This solves the gloves problem that the OP wrote about above - which I have also experienced with my Gerbing heated gloves.

The jacket liner is a snug fit - again to keep the heating elements right against the skin. The liner has multiple heating panels for arms, chest, back and neck. Works great.

The best bit though is their wireless controller. I have this mounted to my bars in the winter and it has two nice big ***** to turn to independently adjust the heat of the gloves and jacket. Perfect!
I'm a big fan of warm n safe. ...they will take your old stuff in trade...great people and product

Old 09-20-2018, 07:21 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 449 Likes on 244 Posts

About 5 years ago.... the company to owned the "Gerbings" brand, sold the company... and a fellow moved the operation back to the states. They had an open house, at their Stonesville NC manufacturing facility. They were dumping all of the made in China stock.... we stocked up on it... between my wife and I...2 pairs of gloves, a jacket liner, a battery powered jacket, and heated socks.... for less than the price of a pr of gloves....
Since then, I have returned failed good to the Greensboro NC site for repairs, and it was either fixed, or replaced for free.

The gentleman who purchased the company, wanted to get into the clothing business, and his investment banker pointed him in the direction of Gerbings. He also bought "Duck Head" clothing.... which was a very high priced clothing line. I've heard Duck Head, either went under, or was sold off.

Over the years, I've also used Warm and Safe..... guess when this horde of Gerbings gear go south on me.... I'll go back to W&S

Quick Reply: Heated Gear - Some Helpful Information before Winter