General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stations/brands with the least markup on premium gas

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 09:40 AM
mitchxout
Cruiser
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

I won't go out of my way to save on the price but I will for better fuel. Especially since I've been told our engines will run cooler on premium fuel. Even though my evo runs ok on 87, it's lasted 156k miles using the best gas I can find.

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Geez ... Economics of owning a scooter and the effects on your wallet ... Any of you guys ( who are married ) ever calculate the cost of a sexual encounter versus the priced paid for wedded bliss ??
You can't come out either way but it's what makes the world go round.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 10-04-2018 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Multiple posts
Old 09-20-2018, 10:11 AM
TroubleHead Fred
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,159 Posts

I'm one of those people who will drive a mile down the road to save a penny per gallon. It isn't about saving the penny to me it's about giving my business to who offers the best deal. Around home I buy top tier premium, on the road I buy top tier brand at the cheapest grade and price, never had trouble with that method yet.

As far as only being a few cents, at a $1 gallon difference (as in OPs case) that would add up to $4.50-$5.50 per fill up for me and I fill up a couple times a week.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:17 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Originally Posted by TroubleHead Fred
I'm one of those people who will drive a mile down the road to save a penny per gallon. It isn't about saving the penny to me it's about giving my business to who offers the best deal. Around home I buy top tier premium, on the road I buy top tier brand at the cheapest grade and price, never had trouble with that method yet.

As far as only being a few cents, at a $1 gallon difference (as in OPs case) that would add up to $4.50-$5.50 per fill up for me and I fill up a couple times a week.
(this conversation is so silly)

You could save up to $1/gallon only if you switch to a lower grade. Assuming you stay with the highest octane, you arent going to save much between gas stations in a local area

Old 09-20-2018, 11:25 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,187 Likes on 2,454 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu

You could save up to $1/gallon only if you switch to a lower grade. Assuming you stay with the highest octane, you arent going to save much between gas stations in a local area
in my area, there is a drastic difference between gas stations on the cost of premium. while regular is around $2.60 per gal, premium ranges between $3.40 and $3.99. a $.50 cent difference between gas, and with no discernible difference between the quality, you bet i'm going to skip the $3.99 in favor for the $3.40, if i can. i'm not going to spend hours/miles hunting for it, but it in the area, it's pretty well known what station to skip, and what station to frequent. the thing that gets me is how do they manage to sell any gas with that amount of difference with a cheaper station literally 2 blocks down the road?

The following users liked this post:
SPRINGER (09-20-2018)
Old 09-20-2018, 11:29 AM
Gunrunner72
Road Master
Received 368 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by TroubleHead Fred

I have a direct competitor of my station (right across the street) that sells wholesale, unbranded gasoline i.e. the cheapest crap he can put in the underground tanks. He ALWAYS undercuts my posted NL price by one penny to draw people on the lot. Several locals have asked why he does it. My response is 1) an inferior product has to be sold cheaper to compete and 2) check your mpg after a tank of his and what you think you're "saving", maybe .15cents on a fillup, and then check it after running a tank of mine. Then do the math and tell me how much you REALLY saved.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:06 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,657 Likes on 6,424 Posts

In my local travels I have favorite non ethanol stations where I fill my bikes. When traveling away I use pure gas app to find non ethanol. My bikes get a little better than 40 MPG but my truck, SUV and car not so great. With them I use gas buddy. The bikes are toys and the vehicles are tools.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:40 PM
Kcougar
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Something better to get mad at would be the crazy tax states put on fuel products. Living along the border of SC and NC we have seen a 30 cent difference in the past. The higher being NC.

Old 09-20-2018, 01:45 PM
Long lonesome highwayman
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,836 Likes on 2,363 Posts

Sigh. OK, so $1.50 per fill up, who cares? WTF? If you cant afford to ride, I would suggest you save a ton of money and sell your bike.
Sigh. Where in the OP did I say I couldn't afford to ride?

Originally Posted by Prot
I see you are in Ohio.

Here were the average prices in Ohio yesterday.

Yesterday Avg. $2.742 $3.065 $3.384

That is higher than down here.

Here is my stare average

Yesterday Avg. $2.581 $2.841 $3.106

Also worth nothing, my city is fifteen cents per gallon cheaper than my state average.

Most Harley's get 40-50 mpg.

By comparison, my Jeep gets 13-15 mpg in the city. My car doesn't do much better at 15-17 mpg if I drive easy and stay out of the secondaries.

Many scooters and small displacement motorcycles get 100 mpg.
I guess my part of western Ohio is higher than average. I would love to only pay 3.389 a gallon or less, compared to what they've been charging. I realize my EG doesn't get the gas mileage it should or that my EG evo got, but there's not a lot I can do about it right now. My Chevy truck gets lousy gas mileage but it takes regular and it can do things my sub compact car or mc can't. So for general transportation I use the mc or sub compact, and the truck gets used for special occasions. If I don't have a special need to drive the truck I'll use it for something anyway at least once a week, just to keep it in good running shape.

Originally Posted by Prot
When I ride, it's to get away from worries and concerns. I remember a few years ago I had a lot on my mind and thought I was just going to go riding in my area to forget about things. The next thing I knew I was in New Orleans about 150 mikes away with nothing but the clothes on my back. I checked into a hotel with a nice restaurant attached to it and had a great time. I bought a couple of shirts, socks, and underwear and got a toothbrush from the front desk.

I am not rich. I just see my bike as an escape and have money ready for when the need arises, gas prices be damned. I figure if an extra few dollars in fuel cost is going to break me, I have bigger problems.

And yes I have been so poor that I was going hungry and looking for stuff in my closet to sell just to have money for a load of freaking bread. I got down to 138 pounds because I was starving to death, eating two bologna sandwiches every other day and waiting for bologna to go on sale for fifty cents per pound.
I've been that poor too, not now fortunitly. Still, just because I'm not that poor anymore doesn't mean I want to unnecessarily throw good money away either if I don't have to. I have to have premium, the EG won't run well and throws a check engine light on anything less than 91 octane. I never said or implied that I was going to quit riding because of the price of gas. If however I can find a group of stations that mark up their premium less than other stations, I will probably patronize those stations.

I know I'm going to have to pay more for premium, I get that. If however I can pay 50 cents a gallon more than regular than a dollar more, I'll patronize that business instead. So yes that only comes out to 2.50 a tankful, which if I was one of those people who just use their mc to ride to the local bar and back in the summer, it wouldn't matter. I'm not one of those people. I never said in the OP that it was a big huge deal, or that I wouldn't be able to afford to ride, if I couldn't find reasonably priced premium. If however there is reasonably priced premium I'd rather buy it than the premium that is marked up more. So far my (new to me) EG runs pretty much the same and gets the same MPG with different brands of premium, so it's not like that's an issue.

Originally Posted by Kcougar
Something better to get mad at would be the crazy tax states put on fuel products. Living along the border of SC and NC we have seen a 30 cent difference in the past. The higher being NC.
I never said in the OP that I was mad about it, but you're right about taxes. Unfortunitely there's not a lot I can do about taxes other than what I'm already doing. Unlike patronizing certain stations or brands, I don't have a choice about paying taxes.

If I'm traveling from one state to another, and I know a certain state is higher priced, I'll fill up before I get to that state.

Originally Posted by nobodyknowsme
In my local travels I have favorite non ethanol stations where I fill my bikes. When traveling away I use pure gas app to find non ethanol. My bikes get a little better than 40 MPG but my truck, SUV and car not so great. With them I use gas buddy. The bikes are toys and the vehicles are tools.
I use gas buddy too. Unfortunitely when I search for prices in my area many times the mid grade and premium aren't updated like the regular is. My guess is people see the posted prices as they drive by and post those, while premium is rarely posted. The only times I've been able to post premium prices is when I'm stopped at a station actually getting gas.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 10-04-2018 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Multiple posts
Old 09-20-2018, 01:54 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,099 Likes on 1,913 Posts

Originally Posted by Long lonesome highwayman
My sub compact gets better gas mileage than my motorcycles.

I'm not rich. I've never spend 15-20K on a motorcycle in my entire life. $4 more for a tank of gas adds up when you do a lot of riding.

Sigh. Again, not 60 cents per fill up or I wouldn't be asking the question.

I obviously don't want bad gas either, but price doesn't always equal quality. You don't always get what you pay for.

I'm in the US. Down here we use gallons, and like I said in the OP the price difference in my area is 1.00 per gallon at some stations. For example, just yesterday, the local Shell station was 2.999 for regular, 3.999 for 91 octane. My EG only gets 40 mpg on straight highway, can go down to 30 on all city riding. I'm not rich, I have to watch what I spend.
It is amazing to me that so many here think you must be "rich" to ride a Harley. That's the problem with the yuppie mentality of some riders.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:01 PM
Long lonesome highwayman
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,836 Likes on 2,363 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle G.
Not always the case. Depends on what you're driving. My car (a Honda Fit) gets 40.5 MPG on regular gas. My bike gets about 42-45 MPG on premium. Even without factoring in other expenses (tires, cough, cough) I can't justify riding the bike on cost alone.
I can't justify it on cost alone either. Back in the seventies when I first started street riding, the difference was clear cut, not so anymore. My car (Toyota Echo with 350K miles) still gets 42 mpg highway on regular. The EG gets 40 mpg with premium, on a good day. On a bad day it's been down to 32 mpg, but that's very twisty roads in 2nd or 3rd gear with higher revs than just cruising down the highway at 2000 rpm in 5th gear. The EG is not stock however, has some high performances mods done to it by the previous owner. Although it doesn't get as good an mpg as the late stock 98 evo I used to have, the wife likes this one better, so there's positives and negatives to everything I guess.

Originally Posted by perki48
It is amazing to me that so many here think you must be "rich" to ride a Harley. That's the problem with the yuppie mentality of some riders.
I'm not a yuppie, and you obviously don't have to be rich to ride one, otherwise I would never be riding one. Most yuppies I've met just buy whatever they want, whenever they want it, on credit. There was a posting that assumed I spent X amount of dollars on my motorcycle, and that was an incorrect assumption. My brother bought a new Harley, paid almost 30 grand for it, financied it. I could do the same thing, I just don't want to be in debt for a motorcycle, even if I wasn't living on disability. To each their own.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 10-04-2018 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Multiple posts

Quick Reply: stations/brands with the least markup on premium gas