Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   General Harley Davidson Chat (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat-29/)
-   -   stations/brands with the least markup on premium gas (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/general-harley-davidson-chat/1254196-stations-brands-with-the-least-markup-on-premium-gas.html)

Long lonesome highwayman 09-19-2018 09:36 PM

stations/brands with the least markup on premium gas

In the past putting premium in Harley motorcycles that required it wasn't a big deal compared to regular, but lately in my area (western Ohio) some of the markup is ridiculous. (like a dollar extra at some stations.) Most of the online sources for gas (gasbuddy, etc) rarely list premium prices, just regular. Anybody know of any brands with the least markup on premium?

OldEnuf2NoBtr 09-19-2018 09:59 PM

Ya' gotta pay to play. The markup is mostly controlled by the station's owner or Corporation and it's not as much as you think it would be. It's a supply and demand kinda' thing.

SPRINGER 09-19-2018 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr (Post 17695928)
Ya' gotta pay to play. The markup is mostly controlled by the station's owner or Corporation and it's not as much as you think it would be. It's a supply and demand kinda' thing.

That's pretty much like it is in my area too. One time I talked to one of the bosses at one of the stations where I buy my gas and they told me that they had no say in what the selling price of the gas was, they had to do what the higher ups told them to do when it came to setting the prices of the gas.

Prot 09-19-2018 11:18 PM

Given the small capacity of a motorcycle fuel tank and the fantastic fuel economy of a motorcycle the cost difference is minimal.

joe40x 09-20-2018 04:15 AM

Spends $15-20K on a bike then complains about $4 more for a tank of gas???

Hoginedgewood 09-20-2018 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Long lonesome highwayman (Post 17695883)
In the past putting premium in Harley motorcycles that required it wasn't a big deal compared to regular, but lately in my area (western Ohio) some of the markup is ridiculous. (like a dollar extra at some stations.) Most of the online sources for gas (gasbuddy, etc) rarely list premium prices, just regular. Anybody know of any brands with the least markup on premium?

I used the gas buddy app, it gets its info from peers like you and I. I usually had good luck with premium prices.
But im with you, I noticed this year paying around 60 cents per jump to medium then again for premium.
I am subscribed.

Campy Roadie 09-20-2018 04:41 AM

I have to be honest, I don't even know what a gallon of gas goes for, regardless of grade; I never look at the price. Given that I ride in rural areas, I really only look for three fuel grade buttons on the pump before stopping; many places in the sticks only have 87. I'm not saying this is the case with the OP but I've known people who look at the price of gallon of gas like they're buying stocks on Wall Street and would go out of their way to save pennies per gallon; yet in all other aspects of their life they were bleeding substantial amounts of money and weren't even aware of it.

Keithhu 09-20-2018 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by joe40x (Post 17696160)

Assuming he's always buying premium, and lets optimistically assume this brilliant scheme nets a savings of $.10/gal, we're talking 60 cents (assuming a touring bike, less if otherwise), not $4.

Basically this is a ridiculous notion of planning routes or rides around the ability to save 60 cents per fill up.

Sierra977 09-20-2018 05:37 AM

I seek out quality, fresh premium fuel.

Finding "fresh" premium fuel is harder than finding "cheap" premium. Cheap premium has sat in underground storage long enough for volatile distillates to escape and gasoline go "stale".

Two Dallas gasoline stations from quality local Tier One refiner carry reliably fresh premium fuel.

Neither are cheap.

Both are worth the cost.

Go be poor somewhere else.

TimmyPage 09-20-2018 05:54 AM

Premium gas is consistently $0.20/L more than regular in my area. Isn't it the same where you live? Mid-grade is $0.10 more and premium is $0.20.

Originally Posted by joe40x (Post 17696160)

A guy in one of my Facebook groups bought a new Iron, began to complain about premium gas prices, and that he was going to start using mid-grade/silver. The cost difference is maybe $0.60 on a full tank. I scratch my head sometimes.