General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Gear.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 06:18 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,408 Likes on 2,940 Posts

Personally, IMO the Freeze Out gear from Cycle Gear is worth every penny it costs, and it is actually cheap when on sale. I also have a pair of Fly Racing Ignitor battery powered gloves. The batteries are good for at least 3-4 hours on high from my experience, and I'm not hard wired to the bike. I have a Revit neck guard which does a great job keeping the cold air off your neck.

I suppose all the years sitting in the freezing cold in a treestand has made me more tolerant of cold temps. With just a pair of jeans and the Freeze Out long johns, a long sleeve t-shirt, a sweatshirt, the Fly gloves, and a jacket I'm good down to the upper/mid 30's for a couple of hours or so.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:22 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,244 Posts

I ride all year, just have to have the right gear. Heated vest, gloves, thermals and fleece cap/gaiter, artic socks and good to go.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 09-29-2018 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Multiple posts
Old 09-20-2018, 06:27 PM
blackxpress
Road Master
Received 492 Likes on 241 Posts

I ride year round in SW Ohio. Good thermals make a big difference. Keep your core warm and it’s easier on your extremities. For gloves I do just fine with HD leather gauntlets. I also have some fleece glove inserts. My hands are OK down to about 20. Below that it gets a little uncomfortable. The coldest day I rode last year was 12F. My fingers got pretty cold but the rest of me was OK. My Danner hunting boots keep my feet good and warm, especially with thermal socks. I started wearing a Shoei FF helmet a few months ago. In previous winters I rode with no helmet and a HD fleece balaclava. It works very well. My helmet does fit over it so this winter should be even better as long as my face shield doesn’t fog too bad.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:45 PM
Kingface
Road Master
Received 178 Likes on 131 Posts

Riding all year in Maine really isn't an option......well....technically it is but you'd be stupid and your bike would look like crap and hate you forever. With that said......I'll ride in mid 30's weather before the 'white death' flies in non heated gear. I have pretty bony hands and the Harley brand leather gauntlet gloves work awesome for me on my Road King with just a windshield and no silly fairing helping.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:05 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

For riding in cold weather I have to have my neck covered up. I've been using a long sleeve turtle neck as a base layer. But am looking for alternatives.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:42 PM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

I won't ride in temps below 40, so... I just layer. Torso: base layer, shirt, fleece jacket/sweat shirt, leather jacket. For my legs... base layer (sometimes), jeans, leather over pants. Feet... cotton socks or UA socks, wool socks, water proof boots or cowboy boots. Hands... base layer, insulated gloves. Head... balaclava, FF helmet. I am considering a heated vest though. I have found that if I keep my core temperature nice and warm, the rest of me stays pretty warm.

Originally Posted by heavymetalthunder
For riding in cold weather I have to have my neck covered up. I've been using a long sleeve turtle neck as a base layer. But am looking for alternatives.
I love turtle necks. I bought a few from LL Bean a few years ago and they are my go to riding shirt when the weather is cool.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 09-29-2018 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Multiple posts
Old 09-21-2018, 05:01 AM
Gas Smasher
Road Captain

Received 649 Likes on 280 Posts

I really like the JRC gloves with the Thinsulate and the Sympatex insert. You can get extra insulation added too if you want it. Great quality and Made In America.

http://jrcglove.com/product/GTW.html

Old 09-21-2018, 06:28 AM
jamala00
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5,220 Likes on 2,574 Posts

Originally Posted by keith_stepp
I won't ride in temps below 40
^^ This, so thermal underwear, jeans, long cotton socks, riding boots, long sleeve shirt, leather coat, stocking cap, leather cloves, and go... Anything else my winter gear is a 2018 Chevy Tahoe...

Old 09-21-2018, 06:32 AM
Modo
Cruiser
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Grouser62
It sounds like you don't want heated gear but really man it is the only way to go (imo) if you want to add 6-8 weeks to your riding season. I have been riding in 40-46 in northern Montana the past few days and with my Gerbing jacket liner and gloves have been as warm as toast and don't look or feel like the Michelin man.
Yeah, Its looking like I may grab a heated jacket liner and gloves for now. I'm not a snow rider but here in Oklahoma it will probably only get bad for 1 or 2 weeks, otherwise it's just cold out. Not like Michigan cold, but in the 30s.

Thanks everyone, super helpful.

Old 09-21-2018, 06:45 AM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,709 Likes on 5,857 Posts

I have a neoprene balaclava for my head and neck. Good luck finding one though. Harley doesn't make them anymore, but you may find a random dealer that still has one in stock.

The wind just doesn't get through it. I also have some 12v gloves. This is my second pair (first pair was stolen with the Limited) and I highly recommend them.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L6KMDHG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L6KMDHG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
. I believe the controller has 5 settings, I rarely get off 1 and never went past 3, and then not for very long. Other than that, just leather. Chaps over my jeans and a heavy Carhartt hoodie under my jacket

Quick Reply: Winter Gear.