General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ceramic Coating.... Anybody done it to their bike?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 09:22 PM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,135 Likes on 764 Posts

Unless you get into "Pro" coatings, which you have to be licensed, you are limited to consumer coatings. There are a lot of really really good ones out there.Probably the closest you can get to a "pro" coating is 22PLE. Their consumer and pro coatings are pretty close to each other. 22PLE has outstanding durability, longevity, ease of maintenance, and looks. application learning curve is not bad at all as long as the heat and humidity aren't to high. Gyeon, Cquartz, Pinnacle and a lot of others are very good also.
If I was to compare all of the coatings I have used and picked the one that enhances the appearance the most it would be Polish Angel Cosmic topped with High Gloss. Ive had 3 different coatings on my bike along with sealants and waxes, so the paint has always been polished out. The polish angel combo is #1 in looks in my eye. On a bike I wouldn't look at longevity as much as I would if doing a car that spends a lot more time in the elements.
I will say that applying any coating on less then stellar paint will give less then stellar results. Lip stick on a pig, its still a pig.
New or old, all paint will benefit from being machine polished.

The following 2 users liked this post by eaglefan1:
Bopple Hill Rd (09-22-2018), NoahD (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 10:12 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

I think "JET-HOT" does ceramic coatings for exhaust headers and pipes. Looks good and lasts.

The following users liked this post:
NoahD (09-21-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 11:24 PM
NoahD
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the responses guys! The dealer is the one doing the coating, so they have pros detail the bike and then apply the ceramic coating. They offer a ten year warranty on the finish. They say they do everything, paint and chrome. I'm not sure what the actual products they use are, I will ask. The painted parts of my bike are matte, and there is a lot of satin chrome.

Of course they charge a lot. But, reading all your responses, I figure it should be worth it.

Thanks again!

Icer (11-09-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 12:15 AM
Ursadorable
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I just did my bike last weekend. Was my first time and took about 3 hours. I spent about half an hour washing the bike, then another 30 minutes buffing out some scuffs from the back of the tank where the seat meets up with ScratchX 2.0, then a good wipe down with 50/50 iso and water.

I learnt a few things in the process, like never ever use the same part of the microfiber cloth twice when wiping off, and never reuse the clothes afterwards no matter how you try to 'clean' it afterwards. And always wear gloves.

That being said, it will be the first thing that gets done when I buy a new bike.

I used Gyeon One, cost about CDN$100 and was a two part system. Apply the ceramic coating, wipe off and then wipe afterwards with the curing agent.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:46 AM
Bopple Hill Rd
Road Warrior
Received 386 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by eaglefan1
Unless you get into "Pro" coatings, which you have to be licensed, you are limited to consumer coatings. There are a lot of really really good ones out there.Probably the closest you can get to a "pro" coating is 22PLE. Their consumer and pro coatings are pretty close to each other. 22PLE has outstanding durability, longevity, ease of maintenance, and looks. application learning curve is not bad at all as long as the heat and humidity aren't to high. Gyeon, Cquartz, Pinnacle and a lot of others are very good also.
If I was to compare all of the coatings I have used and picked the one that enhances the appearance the most it would be Polish Angel Cosmic topped with High Gloss. Ive had 3 different coatings on my bike along with sealants and waxes, so the paint has always been polished out. The polish angel combo is #1 in looks in my eye. On a bike I wouldn't look at longevity as much as I would if doing a car that spends a lot more time in the elements.
I will say that applying any coating on less then stellar paint will give less then stellar results. Lip stick on a pig, its still a pig.
New or old, all paint will benefit from being machine polished.
Thank you for the insight eaglefan1! I wish we were a little closer geographically as when I finally pull the trigger, I'm leaning towards having someone that knows what they're doing do the bikes and in all probability, my truck. Sure seems like you know what you're talking about and are committed to doing great work. I've found a few places in my area and will do my homework on them. Guess I'll have to start saving my pennies too. Thanks again!

Old 09-22-2018, 09:07 AM
eaglefan1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,135 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by Bopple Hill Rd
Thank you for the insight eaglefan1! I wish we were a little closer geographically as when I finally pull the trigger, I'm leaning towards having someone that knows what they're doing do the bikes and in all probability, my truck. Sure seems like you know what you're talking about and are committed to doing great work. I've found a few places in my area and will do my homework on them. Guess I'll have to start saving my pennies too. Thanks again!
Appreciate the compliments. I do this as a side gig, Im a teacher/coach in real life! I love detailing vehicles and bikes, I get to see some really cool stuff like the Track Hawk I did in the one year color Rhino. I did the guys Hell Cat and now this. Rode in both and the Track Hawk will walk the cat, more traction.

If you want to venture into the coating world there are plenty of easy coatings to apply, almost foolproof. However to get set up to polish a vehicle out properly takes some dough.
Check out Gyeon CanCoat, Optimum Gloss Coat, Pinnacle Black Label paint coating, and McKees. All of those are easy to use

Bopple Hill Rd (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 10:47 AM
rjacobs
Tourer
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
I think "JET-HOT" does ceramic coatings for exhaust headers and pipes. Looks good and lasts.
And for the second time in this thread this is 1000% NOT at all the product type that we are discussing... lest people get confused about products...

Old 09-22-2018, 11:39 AM
Moose2011FLHX
Tourer
Received 120 Likes on 92 Posts

If you are around the Bryan College Station area Anything Painted is a licensed applicator of Kenzo IGL coatings and will fix you up for a reasonable price . Like I said above I had my 2018 done and am very happy with it.

Old 11-05-2019, 07:28 PM
pfbmgd
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by rjacobs
the only ceramic I would put on a denim(matte) paint is the Gyeon Matte Ceramic. DO NOT put a ceramic product on it designed for glossy paint i.e. almost every ceramic product on the market. Dont trust somebody to say "oh, yea, it should work"...and then you ruined your paint. Ceramic coatings are awesome, but there is no going back with matte paint. To remove a ceramic coating requires machine polishing, which will destroy the matte paint.

I have the Gyeon on my 18 Slim in Industrial Grey Denim.

You can buy the kit and the couple of prep products for 150-175 bucks from Autogeek.net. I think I spent 2 hours total on it including washing it.

I use the Gyeon soap to wash it, then I use the Gyeon Prep to degrease everything, then do the ceramic coating. I wouldnt worry about doing the Gyeon Iron remover on a brand new bike. Same with the Gyeon tar remover. But the Gyeon Prep is an essential step. Lots of microfiber towels too.

How is the Gyeon coating looking ? I`m thinking of trying the Can Coat product . It` looks pretty easy to apply .

Old 11-05-2019, 08:55 PM
FLHTCUSE KENTUCKY
Tourer
Received 68 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Ceramic coating

Here's a video after my sgs was coated by Art of Detail in Albuquerque, NM. Art and his team do great wotk and are highly recommended.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pbELml...ature=youtu.be

Quick Reply: Ceramic Coating.... Anybody done it to their bike?